January Sales

Poynton ram

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Dimmu said:

It'll be interesting.

No doubt we try to ship out Shacks, Anya and Bent. Thorne, Forsyth and Russell are all running out of contract so what'll we do if the offer comes in?

What happens if Ledley goes somewhere else?

Sure Rowett said just last week that the club is in talks with Russell and Forsyth over new contracts. No mention on George though......

11 minutes ago, JoeDerby said:

Anyone else think Martin will be sold if a bid comes in?

I think he should go now, doesn't fit in with our style of play at all.

I'd take 5m?

I suspect he might in view of the fact he isn't starting games and I'm sure as an ambitious and hungry footballer he may be thinking about it himself.

On the other hand,he has just signed a long contract which will need covering in a sale,Martin lives in Derby and loves it here,so may well be reluctant to leave and should Nugent be injured,he would slot straight into his spot and get a chance to impress the boss and look to keep the shirt.

Who knows how it will pan out....

Maybe he will get enough starts this season to be happy to stay,even without him being the number one choice for Gary in the number 9 spot....he clearly isn't at the moment.

I don't think rowett is desperate to sell martin but if a half sensible offer came in I reckon he would let him go and the lack of pace issue would poss be the thing that swung it , the pass from Thorne that put martin through ( qpr game ) kind of exposed it and I think rowett will look to have the front line players being pacey or very dogged in closing down as well as the goal threat , doesn't mean martin isn't a decent player or have other qualities but my bet is he doesn't have enough of what rowett is looking for in his front line players long term 

19 hours ago, clarkeram7 said:

If it was me I'd look for a left back.. in my own personal opinion Forsyth is dire. Every goals we've conceded recently has been his side or his fault. Especially when you see the strength of Wisdom and Baird on the other side. 

Let's examine this statement. By recent I've included every game since the transfer window shut. 

Since then we've conceded 16 goals. 

Forsyth didn't play in the thumping against Bristol City, and didn't play against Birmingham. So that's 5 goals that definitely aren't his fault.

Against Brentford their cross came down our right hand side and the striker tapped it in at the near post. Not Forsyth's fault.

Against Leeds Forsyth is offering an option up the line. Huddlestone and Ledley lose the ball between them (might've been a foul in there too), so he has no chance of getting back. Not his fault.

Against Norwich, the ball is floated in from our right hand side to the back post where Forsyth is marking two men. Loses the battle with Timm Klose whose on his blind side and two inches taller. Forsyth's fault? Debatable.

Fulham goal was a free kick nothing to do with him. 

This leaves the Barnsley and Reading matches. First goal - comes from Shackell letting his man get in front of him. Not Forsyth's fault. Second goal - cross comes in from our right, Shackell loses his man. Not Forsyth's fault. Third goal - they play a short corner on our right and score from 25 yards. Not Forsyth's fault.

Reading then. First goal - not expecting the flick-on Bradley Johnson let's his man go who promptly scores. Not Forsyth's fault. Second goal - Forsyth presses his man. They play the ball in behind where Huddlestone has let his man go. Not Forsyth's fault. Third goal - Davies plays a horrific backpass that Kermogant intercepts. Not Forsyth's fault. Fourth goal - Forsyth gets his feet muddled up. His fault.

So in the 16 goals we've conceded since the start of September I can only see one that he has conclusively been at fault for. Two if we are being generous. 

Carry on from where we fell short in the summer. I think we were after one more forward to challenge for a place in the 3 behind the striker - and we need a defensive midfielder for the rest of the season, hopefully that'll be Joe Ledley. If Ledley leaves then I'd like a big money signing to replace him. If he stays then i'd like an even bigger money forward. No loans please - and sell all the obvious clutter.

5 hours ago, JoeDerby said:

Anyone else think Martin will be sold if a bid comes in?

I think he should go now, doesn't fit in with our style of play at all.

I'd take 5m?

Unfortunately you are right - we require more pace & mobility from our front players now & it’s more obvious as every game goes by that Martin doesn’t fit the way we play anymore.

Part of the reason for Vydras current success is the movement Nugent provides ahead of him. This mobility is pulling defenders out of position & creating space which Vydra is exploiting to perfection. He just wouldn’t get that with Martin. Good player but doesn’t fit with how we want to play.

Much as many people love him it’s time to let Martin go to a possession based team who can make use of his strengths. I’d have thought if we were offered £5m for him that Gary would snap their hand off

1 minute ago, Parsnip said:

If Chris Martin is made available at £5m it'll be Gary Rowett's hand being snapped off!

It won’t be anymore than that given the contract he is on which someone else will have to pick up

Think the club will take that to get a highly paid player off the wage bill who is currently contributing so little to the first team

2 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Think the club will take that to get a highly paid player off the wage bill who is currently contributing so little to the first team

Nah he's vital as competiton to Nugent. One injury or drop in form of Nuge and he's straight in. If we sell him for £5m he'll need replacing - find a better striker available in Jan at £5m?

2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Nah he's vital as competiton to Nugent. One injury or drop in form of Nuge and he's straight in. If we sell him for £5m he'll need replacing - find a better striker available in Jan at £5m?

I think Rowett will put Winnall in before Martin & looking at the glowing praise he’s given Nuge in todays DET he isn’t going to be dropping him any time soon.

He’ll also have Bent available come January so I don’t see him going in the market for another striker even if he sells Martin - he’d either wait until the summer or look at another loan if pushed.

I stand by my original view that if we get £5m offered for Martin GR will snap their hand off

3 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

I think Rowett will put Winnall in before Martin & looking at the glowing praise he’s given Nuge in todays DET he isn’t going to be dropping him any time soon.

He’ll also have Bent available come January so I don’t see him going in the market for another striker even if he sells Martin - he’d either wait until the summer or look at another loan if pushed.

I stand by my original view that if we get £5m offered for Martin GR will snap their hand off

If we end up going into the last few games of the season having sold Martin for £5m and having Bent as our only fit striker SO HELP ME GOD GARY! 

2 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

If we end up going into the last few games of the season having sold Martin for £5m and having Bent as our only fit striker SO HELP ME GOD GARY! 

7 minutes ago, Cool As Custard said:

Don’t think it would come to that!

Even so given the way we play now though I’d rather have Bent as my one fit striker than Martin

Archived