Do I dare to dream

B4ev6is

We are now 7 games unbeaten 4 wins back to back 12 points. I know I say this a lot but this title winning forum yes I know there is a long way to go. But if were around top 4 around christmas were nicely placed to do this but at the moment I am enjoying beating leeds at there place. But also being in the top 6. True test is now staying there teams will be gunning for us. 

As long as we keep playing like this we have nrothing to fear from this league. But must keep this up and not let up.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

We are now 7 games unbeaten 4 wins back to back 12 points. I know I say this a lot but this title winning forum yes I know there is a long way to go. But if were around top 4 around christmas were nicely placed to do this but at the moment I am enjoying beating leeds at there place. But also being in the top 6. True test is now staying there teams will be gunning for us. 

As long as we keep playing like this we have nrothing to fear from this league. But must keep this up and not let up.

We've had a few nervy moments so although recent results have far exceeded expectations I'm not getting carried away just yet.

Performances still have plenty of room for improvement - as Gary himself states. We have played a couple of teams at the "right time" (eg Norwich after a strenuous week and Leeds who have lost form).

Our early season performances against "in-form" sides such as Brizzle were poor - I realise we are a different proposition now, but the closest our new look team has come to playing an in-form team was Cardiff and we are not yet good enough to be dominant in such games.

we might also yet get some bad luck with injuries, penalty decisions against and so on........

As you say - the test starts now. I am hopeful but not unduly optimistic as I still think we are on an 18 month 3 transfer window timeline for GR to get the team to where he wants.

There is nothing wrong with dreaming, as long as we don't get expectations above our station. Playoffs would be fantastic this season, but a top half placing is perfectly acceptable, Rowett needs time. 

I think we should just enjoy the football, and see where it takes us, but there is certainly nothing wrong with dreaming and hoping we can make it to the playoffs and beyond. 

But sometimes, having expectant fans can be poisonous for club atmosphere, and we as fans have to keep that in check and not be unrealistic. 

20 minutes ago, cosmic said:

David is going to be delighted to hear his forum being referred to as title winning.

Personally, I think some members on here are more relegation material at times. :ph34r:

Not sure ramma is a Gary type poster. Be gone come January, especially if we keep winning 

This will now be the test for Rowett. We've gone on runs before, we've been at the top of the table, we've been so near...and according to some 'our soft underbelly' has let us down and we've lost our way. I've seen posts talking about how Rowett has got us playing and that our 'softness' has gone. So, time will tell.

#COYR

Already booked my hotel for Wembley :ph34r:

I'm more hopeful this season than I have been for a while, we have players that can fill in if we get injuries we're not solely relying on one or two players as we have in the past. Gary seems to have sorted the soft underbelly of the team and we look a solid team to beat.

I for one like the direct style, I got bored of the sideways passing leading to nowhere. You find a way to win and get out of this league however you can, Burnley weren't a "pretty" team the season they went up now look at them, sitting in 7th in the Prem a few seasons in.

Teams have been relegated after winning 4 games in a row at some point in the season. I wouldn't get too excited. 

It's nice we're not losing every other week, but we're a ways away from the finished article still.

13 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Already booked my hotel for Wembley :ph34r:

I'm more hopeful this season than I have been for a while, we have players that can fill in if we get injuries we're not solely relying on one or two players as we have in the past. Gary seems to have sorted the soft underbelly of the team and we look a solid team to beat.

I for one like the direct style, I got bored of the sideways passing leading to nowhere. You find a way to win and get out of this league however you can, Burnley weren't a "pretty" team the season they went up now look at them, sitting in 7th in the Prem a few seasons in.

Are we going to the FA cup final, or are you going to watch two teams in the playoff final that didn’t get automatic like us? :ph34r:

Just now, HantsRam said:

Performances still have plenty of room for improvement - as Gary himself states. We have played a couple of teams at the "right time" (eg Norwich after a strenuous week and Leeds who have lost form).

Our early season performances against "in-form" sides such as Brizzle were poor - I realise we are a different proposition now, but the closest our new look team has come to playing an in-form team was Cardiff and we are not yet good enough to be dominant in such games.

Hasn't it crossed your mind that the likes of Bristol may have played us at the 'right time'? 

47 minutes ago, Smyth_18 said:

Hasn't it crossed your mind that the likes of Bristol may have played us at the 'right time'? 

as in before Ledley you mean? Maybe, but they seem to be performing to a consistently good standard whereas we had a fairly indifferent start followed by our recent upturn.

they didn't have any of the advantages against us that we just enjoyed against Norwich in terms of fixture congestion etc

Just now, HantsRam said:

as in before Ledley you mean? Maybe, but they seem to be performing to a consistently good standard whereas we had a fairly indifferent start followed by our recent upturn.

they didn't have any of the advantages against us that we just enjoyed against Norwich in terms of fixture congestion etc

There's a long way to go for teams to have their own downturn. We have the best form in the league and there is nothing to say that won't continue.

It's a long season. This run has given us a fantastic platform. But the question is: can we kick on?

We have seen many managers hit form and guide us into a top six position - Clough in 2010-11, Clement in 2015-16, McClaren in 2016-17, even Phil Brown in 2005-06 :ph34r::lol: - and be unable to push on for whatever reason.

We have seen many managers looking good for automatic promotion and fade away - Davies in 2006-07 and McClaren in 2014-15 - so really with a club like us, it pays not to get carried away.

History tells us not to get our hopes up and stay grounded. I'm finding a healthy dose of scepticism makes the wins more satisfying - you enjoy it more when it's a surprise.

One could argue this run will make Rowett's job even harder because it's clear to see we have a group of players with enough experience and enough ability at this level as it is.

How does he manage expectations now? This league is wide open and if this run stretches into December, everyone will be setting their sights on top two, when only weeks ago, people were saying midtable at best and that Rowett needs two or three windows before we see improvement.

There is a long way to go, and worse teams than norwich and leeds will beat us.

Lets hope these defeats dont happen to often.

At 1-0 last night, their forward ghosted in between Keogh and Wisdom and missed a sitter. That goes to 2-0, then we wouldnt have won last night. Just saying. Fine margins.

Archived