Leicester Ram

2 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Yes. Check out the highlights:

1. The missed penalty

2. Dawson's header from the corner

3. Diving header at the far post first half

4. Point-blank header 2nd half which Carson tipped over

5. Ballooned over left-footer from 10 yrds 2nd half

6. Scraped the bar with Carson beaten 2nd hlf shot from 15 yards.

Fine margins in football. 

The penalty was not a created chance, it was a hopeful cross,  Lawrence slipped and brought their man down.

Dawsons header was a definite chance.

The divine header was but didn't that come from a free kick rather than anything created? 

I think the point blank header was actually about 15 yards out and straight at Carson, may be wrong as not seen it back.

The left footer ballooned over was a definite chance.

I thought the shot that scraped the bar was outside the area and Carson had covered, once again am probably wrong though!

I certainly don't think any of them chances were any easier than Vydra and Martin chances saved down low by McGregor.

Lawrence and Nugent also had chances inside their area plus there was a Winnall/Martin chance near the end (not sure why Martin was not booked if it was not a foul).

Think there was only the Dawson header that they 'created' before the game was already lost.

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

I think they were intimating a number of things, not just possession:

shots, possession, fewer fouls, 

I think it was an attempt by some to stem the exaggerated claims being made in the opposite direction. ie that we totally dominated Hull when actually it wasn't quite all one-sided. 

I agree with what you're saying, but some times people use stats as excuses rather than facts. A shot at goal from 30 yards with 6 defenders between the player and the goal and that misses by 10 yards is still a shot, but should it be considered in the same way as say Vydra's bicycle kick that missed by inches?

As for number of fouls! I mean, what does that tell us? It could mean that a team has been under the cosh for 90 minutes and has to resort to fouling just to stem the flow a little. Or it could mean, like Friday night, that the opposition weren't given a second to dwell on the ball. As soon as a player received the ball he had 1,2 or even 3 Derby players buzzing around him. Obviously occasionally the defending player can sometimes go in over exuberantly and commit a foul. A slight nudge and the attacker receives a free kick. There were no yellow cards, and I believe only BJ received a ticking off from the referee.

As I said I agree with you in principle, but to lose 5-0 you would have to find stronger arguments to be able to imply that Hull had dominated in any way the game (I'll give the doubters a 15 minute spell at 1-0 but I think I'm being a little kind).

13 hours ago, Ruda Harliss said:

Just watched the game again on the football league show, the neutral pundit Mickey Gray who was there discribed us as 'outstanding '

The word dominant was used twice by the commentator

why are so many of us unhappy after this?

Mate I totally  agree, people being unhappy with this is a joke, we were outstanding at times, playing some quick, direct football, cutting them open at will, our front 4 were excellent, Johnston in the middle was a beast, and Keogh looked unbeatable all game, if people are still not happy after a result and performance like this, I think there best to find something else to do on match days, our quality with and without the ball was top class, looking forward now, to see if we can keep this level of performance up, that's now the test. See u at the next home game, for some more entertaining football.

13 minutes ago, Ellafella said:

Agree. Quality versus quantity debate. Derby had less but it was of better quality. 

It is but to be honest 18 to 15 really isnt that big a difference, so it isn't as if they had massive amounts of more shots. 

All this is before we get in to the Hull had an entire half were they effectively had nothing to lose and so could pour men forward.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

I don't think anyone wants him to fail. we all want Derby to succeed.

this over reaction to imaginary criticism is the same as the recent over reaction to imaginary nutters on Radio Derby Sportscene 

Tweet after tweet read out saying "i can't believe fans want rowett sacked" when not one single person had suggested that.

57 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Have a read of the 'Is Rowett Up To The Job' thread. 

Do you think people who think he is not up to the job are happy for him to remain as our manager?

Right. I ploughed through all 42 pages, @ 420 posts.

only one post called for him to be sacked......see below

Many people expressed reservations but only 1 post ...

you're twisting it slightly from "calling for him to be sacked" to "happy for him to remain"

However most people expressing reservations also said time will tell, or wait and see.

it really is an over reaction to a fictional fan reaction

fake news

On 28 August 2017 at 21:15, superzak said:

We are all guessing but my take on it is G.R is all wind and P..s. Talks a good game ...we are going to do this and that but doesn't follow it through. Disappointing I know but I think mels axe needs to fall once more. Neil Warnock proves this...he is not the most liked manager but he gets the job done wherever he goes. He doesn't need months to get things sorted it works straight away. I cant see that anything has improved in the 14 or 15 games gr has had. In fact I think we have gone backwards.

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Straight after the Wolves game somebody rang in and said that Rowett needs to be sacked, I had just got back into the car and heard the pillock.

I was referring to the talk in on a monday night.

numerous posters were on here slagging off the callers for calling for rowett to be sacked.

so i listened to it....

nobody did.

nor were there any tweets or texts calling for rowett to be sacked

yet OB kept on reading out tweets raging against fans calling for rowett to be sacked??

Absolutely bizarre

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Right. I ploughed through all 42 pages, @ 420 posts.

only one post called for him to be sacked......see below

Many people expressed reservations but only 1 post ...

you're twisting it slightly from "calling for him to be sacked" to "happy for him to remain"

However most people expressing reservations also said time will tell, or wait and see.

it really is an over reaction to a fictional fan reaction

fake news

Surely if you don't want him as manager you want him sacked?

39 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Surely if you don't want him as manager you want him sacked?

They don't say that they don't want him to be manager.

they say - as you did - that there may be some reservations but give it time.

2 truisms in football

1. the ability to turn chances into goals is a rare skill (witness PNE and Bolton and to some extent Sheff U) and is the difference between also rans and the best teams.  Creating chances is not a definitive stat.
  2. goals change games, you can't tell how a game would progress after an incident occurs.  If we hadn't of scored the third goal it may have ended 2 - 0 and we closed the game out.  If the penalty had gone in it might have ended 1 -1 but it may have pushed us on further to win by a greater margin.  The only reason that Hull had better possession was that we didn't need it.

22 hours ago, Ellafella said:

1. The missed penalty

3. Diving header at the far post 2nd half

I'd argue that 1) and 4) were clear cut chances and the others were half chances

Our goals were all pretty clear chances created well - Free kick is all on the quality of the individual, second Nuge created loads of space for Vydra, Davies made himself free in the box for good corner, amazing cross and Johnson easily first to ball 2 yards out and then a well taken shot but plenty of space to take it from decent Johnson range

I'd say that the Vydra chance which their keeper saved was a half chance we had too - And there were a couple of blocked half chances at the end for Martin and (someone else - I don't remember who - I was pretty drunk by that point)

23 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Curtis Davies?! Wow

Shows how differently people see a game.

Our worst player on Friday for me.

I agree, BUT, he did play very well upto around 80 mins and scored a goal. Made some very good interceptions and defended well. Then when he got a knock his passing went woeful for the last 10-15 mins which made him stand out against his pears. I think Gary even mentioned that when he made his third change he hadn't really taken into consideration that Curtis was struggling the NOOB! ?

23 hours ago, Ellafella said:

1. The missed penalty

3. Diving header at the far post 2nd half

Don't forget the chances we created and didn't take.

vydra shot from nuge that the keeper saved.

vydra couldn't get a tough on Lawrence's quality cross, any touch and it goes in

Vydra through and instead of taking it first time and lobbing the keeper waits for it to come down and defender clears.

lawrence and nuge guilty of not hitting the target in a good position

martin has a shot well saved

we had just as many chances we didn't take as Hull but we managed to score 5 aswell.

14 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

As long as you have enough of the ball and use it well.

Possession as the be all end all was a fad which seems to be ending, giggen?pressing and three at the back seem to be current fads, they to will pass in time and be replaced by a new thing that someone has success with and then lots of copies crop up.

Rowettball to be the next big thing?

1 hour ago, unclej said:

Sadly, he does not. One swallow does not a summer make.  

Well the majority of people think he does, so either the majority are wrong or......

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

Don't forget the chances we created and didn't take.

vydra shot from nuge that the keeper saved.

vydra couldn't get a tough on Lawrence's quality cross, any touch and it goes in

Vydra through and instead of taking it first time and lobbing the keeper waits for it to come down and defender clears.

lawrence and nuge guilty of not hitting the target in a good position

martin has a shot well saved

we had just as many chances we didn't take as Hull but we managed to score 5 aswell.

You list another six times we might have scored, but I think there were more. For instance, Vydra's overhead kick can't have missed by more than a couple of inches. Despite the doubters, it could have been 12-0 (memories of Finn Harps)! :D

Just now, Carl Sagan said:

You list another six times we might have scored, but I think there were more. For instance, Vydra's overhead kick can't have missed by more than a couple of inches. Despite the doubters, it could have been 12-0 (memories of Finn Harps)! :D

Yes I forgot about that mate, well remembered

Archived