Are we a stronger and better team?

oldtimeram

Find it hard to believe we have a potential top six side I know its very early days but I've now seen 18 Championship sides either live or on Sky and apart from Bolton I think other teams are better than us even Preston were easily equal to us Teams like Leeds Bristol CTY Villa Boro Fulham are miles ahead us But as I've said early days and I think Winnall could be game changer we need I know he has baggage because of his spat with Forresteri but he's very good strong two footed and a great header 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think someone else nailed it here: 'not worse, just different' 

Goalkeepers - it was one area we didn't need to touch, so I'm happy that the we didn't upset the applecart. Carson is very much a solid choice, plus we have Mitchell coming through who has recently broken into the England U21 squad.

Defence - it's the position where we have significantly strengthened this summer. Wisdom, being the main reason, but Davies offers experience at the back. Forsyth returning, albeit not to peak fitness, has also helped. The only problem is that on the face of it, the defence was the last position we needed to strengthen. 

Midfield - It's the position that's taken the most surgery, so it will be interesting to see just how the new look midfield gets to grip this season. Ince, Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield and Camara have left. Kieft, Huddlestone and Lawerence have come in. I guess the argument is that Hughes, Bryson & Butterfield all buzzed about, playing a very short passing midfield game and that didn't fit the current system. Kieft, from what I understand, is more of a Eustace type player. He's someone that hunts the ball, but isn't necessarily the most gifted footballer in the world. Huddlestone has a range of passing that few players in world football can hold a candle too, but he's not mobile. Lawrence looks to have a spark, which is good, because he's tasked with replacing Ince - our match winner.

Attack - we've certainly improved the options upfront, no denying that. Martin & Winnall have added to Nugent, Vydra and Bent* upfront. I don't know how we plan on finding the balance of the attackers, whether we go two upfront or one upfront, but I guess we'll naturally find our best pairing.

I'd guess, for the Hull game, that we will see: Carson; Wisdom, Keogh, Davies, Olsson; Huddlestone, Kieftenbeld; Lawrence, Vydra, Winnall & Martin. Winnall, Vydra & Lawrence all rotating in the three positions behind Martin. 

Before this transfer window i thought we would finish 5th - 8th.

now.....9th - 15th.

i suspect that we are short in central midfield especially if vydra gets injured or dropped.

i thought we would be very solid at the back but we have had a few wobbles.

But honestly....i really don't know what to expect.

i just hope its decent to watch.

3 hours ago, Mistaram said:

Find it hard to believe we have a potential top six side I know its very early days but I've now seen 18 Championship sides either live or on Sky and apart from Bolton I think other teams are better than us even Preston were easily equal to us Teams like Leeds Bristol CTY Villa Boro Fulham are miles ahead us But as I've said early days and I think Winnall could be game changer we need I know he has baggage because of his spat with Forresteri but he's very good strong two footed and a great header 

Bristol City miles ahead of us , bloody hell what game did you watch, and dont get me started on Villa

I honestly don't know ,, on paper it looks like we perhaps are weaker with the loss of talented ince and Hughes but then I look back over the last couple of years and know that there have been far too many times that on paper weaker teams have beaten a supposedly more talented Derby team ?? 

The question I'm asking myself is whether after ALL the business done in the window rowett is in a stronger position to build the team he wants and in all fairness I reckon he is ,,, we all know teams beat groups of talented individuals ,it's just scary as a fan when you see big name players leave and on paper lesser names come in to replace them ,, I do believe rowett is the style of manager that builds teams as opposed to one who collects big name players ,,, I'm gonna reserve judgement till after Jan window but I'm more optimistic than I was 1 hour before the window closed 

I too am unsure as to whether we are stronger, strangely i feel the type of football we will see is going to be solid(ish) with Lawrence tasked with doing something with the ball,i think/hope Rowett may well try different formations depending who we play,  which will be good to see. I'm not sure about Martin's role being secure, as he is a 'target man' type, and without the Bryson's etc breaking to flick on to may be ineffective in this system ?  and my gut is that most of our play will be breaking faster out wide with the ball, out to Lawrence who will deliver into the area and i think Winnall/Nugent/Vydra will be more suited to that style?

I guess time will tell, it will be interesting,i hope for Rowetts sake(and ours) it works for the majority of the time,as MM hasn't had the revolving door replaced yet to the Managers office :)

So much better

A good first step in what will probably be a couple more windows of transformation

Its been painful and sad seeing the midfield continually letting the rest of the team down for so long  - so heartening to finally see it be dismantled and starting again

And its been depressingly familiar for us to be bullied out of the vast majority of  our big matches against our competitors especially away from home. This looks like the beginning of the end for that experience.

Loads of players out of contract next summer so a great opportunity then to rebuild further : on ours terms, not the players. 

Well done Gary and Mel. Carry on. 

Two more signings that don't necessarily inspire. Are we better and stronger? Only time will tell but it's clear this team will not be playing total football. It really is going to be counter attack style football which may see crowds drop by several thousand at PP. I do feel that all our possession based players are being sold, Ince,Will,Butterfield,Bryson are all gone and I reckon the trap door is only round the corner for Thorne and Martyn.

Change was needed but I do not like the direction GR has gone.

I think the team is better for what GR wants to do (However I'm still gutted about Will going) but I think we'll be mid table as the other 'big' teams in the championship have strengthened and spent a great deal more (in most cases). As a fan we really want players to capture our imagination and excite us with dazzling attacking play and although there's been a nice bit of nostalgia with Huddlestone coming back this transfer window hasn't done that for me. That said the defence is better we have lots of options going forward so I'd say we've improved there but the midfield still looks a bit static. 

We cant moan about the lack of big fee players we have watched average players come in for big money over the last few years so this more pragmatic approach is kind of what we've been asking for (again generally) and possibly what's needed to go in order for us to financially go again over the coming seasons. 

Anyway up the rams! 

I that no that the players in will fit better into how GR wants us to play and time will tell.

I think the team is only a smidge away from being a decent team .

Maybe these "uninspiring " players we have got in are the key to it .

Again time will tell but chucking huge wedge at "star" players hasn't worked for us either so let's hope this more reserved window reaps greater rewards.

COYR

10 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Well after all the comings and goings what do folk think?

Are we in a stronger position to challenge for a play off place?  I think not, but then again I tend to be a glass half empty sort of guy

I don't know is the simple answer. 

But I hope we are . 

Up the Rams .

Winnall takes all

4 hours ago, Premier ram said:

Bristol City miles ahead of us , bloody hell what game did you watch, and dont get me started on Villa

I watched Bristol v Villa and if you don't think they both better than us at the moment you have either a problem with your football knowledge or your eyesight They not only better they are a mile better 

I'll deem it a better team as long as we can be competitive and compete physically with other teams and don't play like we did against Wolves and Sheff U. If to win games and have a chance of promotion, means we play ugly I don't care. Once promoted we can then look at bringing in betted players.

Archived