Are we a stronger and better team?

oldtimeram

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think we are probably mid table hard workers-Still need to get players out then next phase of rebuilding .As someone said it will take 3 windows to turn around the staleness.Just one thought though how will certain players react now GR has sort of shown his hand and they know they would have gone if a deal could have been done?

I don't know TBH. I'm hoping we will be stronger and more athletic and that this will suit how Rowett wants to play. I also hope that we are going to be flexible as regards formations. Maybe 4231 will be our preferred formation but we need to be positive and change our formation when needed IMO if we are going to be successful. I'm hoping the new players will 'hit the ground running' and some of our others will get their mojo back.

I'm not sure, still think we're looking at 10-6th places, maybe sneaking playoffs. Think the defence has improved a lot but the midfield and attack seem to have got worse. Having said that, we're yet to see what Lawrence is going to be like (maybe we should bloody start him). 

Talking to a mate, I broke it down like this:

If we eventually go

Carson
Wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth
Huddlestone Johnson
Russell Vydra Lawrence
Winnall

Compared to 

Carson
Christie Keogh Pearce Forsyth
Butterfield Johnson
Ince Vydra Russell
Nugent

Then Wisdom and Huddlestone are improvements, Davies hasn't been better or worse, Winnall should be an upgrade and time will tell on Lawrence V Ince.

Butterfield, Bryson, Blackman and Camara won't be missed and Hughes would have been an expensive benchwarmer which Kieftenbeld can do for £7.5m and £25k per week less. 

Martin is back, Vydra is better under Rowett and Russell is better on the right so on paper we've improved.

Might not be the dream team we all hoped for up front after Ince and Hughes left, but creativity levels have not changed as much as some think, the more negative formation just doesn't allow as much expression.

It's 6 in and as many out so that will freshen us up and hopefully reduce the number of square pegs in round holes.

Nothing yet to tell me otherwise so will trust in Rowett's vision to get us out of here.

If there is one complaint though, and its through no fault of our own this window it is how strong Boro, Wolves, Fulham, Villa and others look by comparison. On top of which Hull, Birmingham, Leeds and others have mixed it up and could do well.

I think maybe we just just need to be thankful we're not Brentford losing 3 key players in 24 hours. 

I look at the team and I think they're hardworking, pragmatic etc. and they might do OK. It doesn't excite me at all however, and I see no long-term vision with this team either. Definitely worse off than a couple of months ago in my view.

No idea, don't think we're any better, lost a bit of flair but probably more consistent players to suit GR's system, gutted to see bryson go. Just find the whole swapping of players between play off rivals bizarre. Would've been a great window if we got another winger, but guess that depended on outgoings. Think this window really showed how bad we've over paid and over bought in the last few!

Carson Mitchell

Wisdom Baird

Keogh Pearce

Davies Shackell

Forsyth Olsson

Huddlestone Thorne

Kieftenbeld Johnson

Lawrence Anya

Russell Weimann

Vydra Nugent

Martin Winnall

Then Lowe, Hanson, Bennett, Bent.

I would argue we needed to move out two of Anya/Russell/Weimann and replace with 1 starter. Then could have afforded to lose Shackell, Olsson and a striker, but easier said than done. I don't think Butterfield and Bryson suit this formation and looking at the list above, we now have 2 players suited to each position. Could we have better players for each, particularly out wide, yes, but it will take time.

Ince would have fitted in to this, Hughes potentially not, and Christie was too much of a liability defensively.

We have all gone on about giving Rowett time to complete squad turnover and shape a team rather than a collection of individuals. I think he is doing that. We might not be playoff contenders this year, but we don't have a divine right to be. Regardless, it will be interesting to see if he can apply his ethos on to this team.

We've lost a lot of flair but I think we've made leaps and bounds in terms of building a team. It's refreshing to see is moving in a clear direction for once.

I'm surprisingly optimistic, although I'm not really expectant. Time will tell.

8 minutes ago, TomBustler1884 said:

Carson Mitchell

Wisdom Baird

Keogh Pearce

Davies Shackell

Forsyth Olsson

Huddlestone Thorne

Kieftenbeld Johnson

Lawrence Anya

Russell Weimann

Vydra Nugent

Martin Winnall

If he can get them playing right - That is still one HELL of a squad...

There's not we could do to improves that back 5 in this league - Whichever combination of players you put in

Lawrence and Vydra both have a touch of class - Russell and Weimann are very capable on their day too

Vydra, Martin, Nugent - All very capable goalscorers at this level

That's a top 6 squad for me - But then we've had one of those for 3/4 seasons now - Big question is - Can we get the style of play which works for them all and allows us to do it?

Archived