Are we a stronger and better team?

oldtimeram

12 hours ago, oldtimeram said:

Well after all the comings and goings what do folk think?

Are we in a stronger position to challenge for a play off place?  I think not, but then again I tend to be a glass half empty sort of guy

We've brought in  six ; Lawrence , hud, wisdom, Davies,loaned  winnall, and signed the Dutch guy.... I will practice his name. Sold ince , hughes, christie,  shipped out Blackman camara and loaned out Bryson and butterfield.

overall the squad now looks lopsided to me with no creative midfield , not much mobility in midfield either or CAMs , and we've missed opportunities to bring in better wingers.

the fees received for ince and hughes were less than expected.... Very  Much less in hughes case. Estimated about £14 million total.  Plus £2.5 million for christie. I guess loan fees for Bryson and Butterfield will bring in a bit more. Spent about £11 million. 

Overall, the squad looks more lopsided and of less quality than when we started the transfer window, and we still seem to have players in the squad I don't expect to be here much longer. We've probably made a profit of around £ 5 million on transfers but not nearly as much as I would have expected given both hughes and ince have gone. 

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are we a stronger and better team? Too early to judge yet. It takes time to create a team. Under Mel's  ownership, and with a larger than average budget for the Championship, we've cherry-picked other teams' best players, in the hope that their best qualities will collectively carry us to the promised land.

However, what we've suffered from is too many players with similar skill-sets, tripping over each other in ill-defined roles in the team and also too many inconsistent players.

Better to have  11 consistent "Eustace" type players, well-drilled and suited to the positions they play in, than buying 6 or 7 " star men" from other teams and trying to crowbar them into a team.

I don't think it'll be pretty to start with, but I do get the impression GR has chosen each of his signings with forethought. Primarily because he thinks they're hardworking and can execute what he wants from them ( several of them he's worked with before,which is more than can be said about previous managers' buys ) and secondly he has a specific position in mind for them rather than our previous " we've got wodges of cash" scatter-gun approach.

We certainly can't accuse him of taking advantage of Mel's cash as, Lawrence excepted, they've been fairly cheap.

At least I'm seeing some some sort of cogent approach to our recruitment strategy.

It's a huge tanker to turn around and it can't be done in one transfer window. Every Derby fan would welcome a hard-working team in the short term, with a view to adding more quality later, as and when.

Let's face it, we've wazzed a lot of cash up the wall of late on players who you don't know if they're going to turn up some days. 

I'm liking it so far, but we need patience. I'm more optimistic this window than any other in a long time. Another big factor is GR is a a proper Ram and I think he's here for the long haul, not using us as a stepping stone. I hope Mel feels the same about him.....

In fairness we've seen nothing of Mikael or winnall , or Lawrence really. Maybe they will all gel together and liven the team up. But overall I think the team building looks like a work in progress to me, I dont see us challenging this year.

Lots of people including pundits have banged on about Derby having an excellent squad for ages, but we all know it's been massively unbalanced, too many forwards, too many creative midfielders, not enough physicality, no players that can consistently do the nasty side of the game.

Its refreshing we have a manager who has come in, identified our problems early and has worked to address them. Unfortunately he has had to sell some players he didn't really want to sell as no one wanted the dross, but they're the tough decisions a manager is employed to make.

Without doubt we have a more balanced squad now and I think we're better equipped to mount a top 6 challenge than we were before the window. This will be more of "team" and we haven't been that since 14/15! 

Is Kieftenbeld a more technically gifted footballer than Hughes or even Butterfield, absolutely not, not even in the same stratosphere,  but I think he will end POTY as he's more effective for the team, if he makes his tackles and closes down the opposing players, it will allow the likes of Huddlestone Vydra and Lawrence (our skilful players) to play. This can only be a good thing.

Rowett has more work to do (somehow get rid of Johnson) but he has a plan and is following it through, and he's balancing the books. If we let him continue to that, the club will be in a better place than when he took over.

Pearson came in and identified a lack of effort and decided that Martin was the main problem, shipping him to Fulham. He also dropped Ince after Burton away. 

Rowett went further saying we are too powder puff and needed more strength. He sold three creative attacking players plus Camara and also moved on 2 more relatively lightweight players in Bryso and Butterfield. Think Anya is toast too. And who does he bring in? Hard feisty players hungry for success - Huddlestone Davies Wisdom Kleft winnall and even Lawrence are all determined fighters. 

So the short of it is that he's making us a real physical force and honouring his word that the "feel" of the team would be very different. No more soft Mcclaren underbelly. We've gone from powder puff passing team to one which has strength trroughout. Just remains to see if the speed and guile of Lawrence Vydra Nugent Winnall and co can crack open sides. 

On paper No,individual player for player def not,however as a team playing to each others strength possibly.Time will tell.

Major concern for myself is the number of players nearing the end of their career s ,who will have no sell on value,presumably more prone to injury and we dont appear to have any players to build a team around for the future.

Giving my support to the lads and new signings,certainly been a bit of a shake up and may be this will improve the mentality,backbone and ethics of the team.

Have to give GR a fair crack at the whip,However believe NP was wanting to do simular but no one had confidence in him at the time primarily due to abysmal results on the pitch. How quickly things can change in 12 months.

Good luck lads ,if Huddersfield and Bournemouth can do it with their squads at the time ,perhaps a new unknown quantity with a little fire in the belly and a more flexible approach may see us in the right direction.

GR brave confident visionary or foolish ? Time wilk tell.

4 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Pearson came in and identified a lack of effort and decided that Martin was the main problem, shipping him to Fulham. He also dropped Ince after Burton away. 

Rowett went further saying we are too powder puff and needed more strength. He sold three creative attacking players plus Camara and also moved on 2 more relatively lightweight players in Bryso and Butterfield. Think Anya is toast too. And who does he bring in? Hard feisty players hungry for success - Huddlestone Davies Wisdom Kleft winnall and even Lawrence are all determined fighters. 

So the short of it is that he's making us a real physical force and honouring his word that the "feel" of the team would be very different. No more soft Mcclaren underbelly. We've gone from powder puff passing team to one which has strength trroughout. Just remains to see if the speed and guile of Lawrence Vydra Nugent Winnall and co can crack open sides. 

But Atm we are too easy to play against. Roy Mac noted how we keep giving the ball away cheaply. Its still a game of skill.

29 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Is Kieftenbeld a more technically gifted footballer than Hughes or even Butterfield, absolutely not, not even in the same stratosphere,  but I think he will end POTY as he's more effective for the team,

Ye gods, he's not even put his boots on yet.

24 minutes ago, Ninos said:

So rowett is the Messiah again?

I'm pretty sure that we haven't kicked a ball yet with our new players and seem to have lost about half of our league games with our 'new' harder defence.

We certainly don't seem to have the ability to score many goals with how Gary has utilised our forwards to date under his stewardship.

The proof will be in the pudding both defensively and in terms of our attack ninos so probably best to hold back on the unsubstantiated trolling for now mate....

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

But Atm we are too easy to play against. Roy Mac noted how we keep giving the ball away cheaply. Its still a game of skill.

I agree. Just calling it as I see it. He's changed it radically though and the skill piece really lays at the feet of Lawrence. Don't see anyone else that has it, at least currently 

Lets see where we are at Christmas - what was clear ....the team we started the season with was really struggling to play the GR way - we got some points but a mile away from looking convincing..

He has made a few changes and we know at this level you do not need superstars you need players that can get you out of this league over 46 games..

We have been brittle for season after season - we still have some of those players here but hopefully the balance will improve the performances..

But will give it until Xmas to see whether we are on for a mediocre mid table season or something a hell of a lot better..

What I like about Rowett is you can see sense in his transfer dealings.. he has a way of playing (4-2-3-1) and he's getting players to play into it. 

Pearson's biggest mistake was always not be proactive enough in the window, he tried to play a formation which didn't suit the players. 

You have to give him time ? he's sorting the problems! Kieftenbald was exactly what we needed - reminds me of the Daryl Powell signing. He'll be a perfect compliment to either Thorne and Huddlestone's passing ability. Some shrewd deals hopefully 

3 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

So rowett is the Messiah again?

I'm pretty sure that we haven't kicked a ball yet with our new players and seem to have lost about half of our league games with our 'new' harder defence.

We certainly don't seem to have the ability to score many goals with how Gary has utilised our forwards to date under his stewardship.

The proof will be in the pudding both defensively and in terms of our attack ninos so probably best to hold back on the unsubstantiated trolling for now mate....

Where did I say I love what he's done? I would have held on to both Hughes and Ince and Bryson too.

Never said anything about messiahs. I'm just calling it as I see it - that he's stamping his mark as he said he would and for sure we are to be physically tougher and he's got players with far more fire in, as he said we needed. He's doing things consistent with his perspective in a short amount of time with an intelligent investment. That may be what it takes to turn us around, with Lawrence and Winnall the attacking X factors. 

23 hours ago, Mistaram said:

I watched Bristol v Villa and if you don't think they both better than us at the moment you have either a problem with your football knowledge or your eyesight They not only better they are a mile better 

well go and watch one of them then and come back at end of season and we will see who is the better team then

On 01/09/2017 at 10:47, Mistaram said:

Find it hard to believe we have a potential top six side I know its very early days but I've now seen 18 Championship sides either live or on Sky and apart from Bolton I think other teams are better than us even Preston were easily equal to us Teams like Leeds Bristol CTY Villa Boro Fulham are miles ahead us But as I've said early days and I think Winnall could be game changer we need I know he has baggage because of his spat with Forresteri but he's very good strong two footed and a great header 

You have seen 18 championship teams and after 5 matches you are stating teams are better than us. Warnock was interviewed after their 5th win out of 5, he stated that if Cardiff were in around the top 4 at the end of October he would then believe they were possible promotion contenders. Most championship fans believe their team is potential top 6 side at the begining of the season. Like Warnock, I think I will make a judgement at the end of October. Even then there could be a team that makes a late charge up the table or a top six team that nose dives. 

Archived