Midfield

WystonRam

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, feisty said:

Well you've mentioned 6....plus guy

Wherever Hanson has played in midfield he's done well. He's only really struggled when played out of position at full back

Hanson is a defender who got put in midfield and was shown up badly last season.

The dutch fella, according to the blues forum is not the best passer of the ball, but nodoubt can huff it up. Yes, we lose the best passer of the ball and replace him with a blues midfielder who can bare pass a ball [hey but he is friends with GR].

4 minutes ago, toddy said:

Hanson is a defender who got put in midfield and was shown up badly last season.

The dutch fella, according to the blues forum is not the best passer of the ball, but nodoubt can huff it up. Yes, we lose the best passer of the ball and replace him with a blues midfielder who can bare pass a ball [hey but he is friends with GR].

In fairness though mate, it's not really a like for like replacement as Hughes couldn't really play that holding role that Keith is going to play. It's annoying to lose Hughes but we needed a change of style (and it's not just a hoofball style) and the likes of Hughes don't really fit unfortunately.

7 minutes ago, toddy said:

I can't remember the last time your post - any post - wasn't full of snide digs at the club. I really think you ought to consider supporting a different club, or take up something a little more tranquil - like flower arranging.

40 minutes ago, toddy said:

Then why let someone like Elsnik a midfielder breaking into the first team go out on loan?

Nope, I personally think we had to offload players [selling them if possible - get the wage bill down etc] Nothing happening so they let one of the promising midfielders go to swindon  - then Wednesday and Cardiff come knocking last minute and bingo we now have a very light midfield. lets be honest here how long will it be before we lose Thorne again? Huddlestone is not getting any younger....

We lacked a creative midfielder prior to the window closing now we have lost Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield too - remember GR said he was replacing Will Hughes!!

Toddy Elsnic is out on loan because Guy is further on than him with his development Guy played regular football for Port Vale last season till his injury and they are gutted we will not let him go back there 

3 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

In fairness though mate, it's not really a like for like replacement as Hughes couldn't really play that holding role that Keith is going to play. It's annoying to lose Hughes but we needed a change of style (and it's not just a hoofball style) and the likes of Hughes don't really fit unfortunately.

its no coincidence that the best two flair players we have had in years have now gone and we are now going down a route of a certain type of football. Now everyone is saying well we dont need may passing midfielders because we will now play 4-2-3-1 - that is all well and good. But I do remember GR saying he will change formations to suit each game, well blow me how is he going to do that without a midfielders?

Remember everyone complaining about Mac having no plan B , Well if we can only play one way 4-2-3-1, surley that gives the oppenents manager a great advantage each game.

GR was right originally we have to change systems/formations to suit each game depending how the opposition sets up - you cannot do that if you dont have the players to do it!

10 minutes ago, eddie said:

I can't remember the last time your post - any post - wasn't full of snide digs at the club. I really think you ought to consider supporting a different club, or take up something a little more tranquil - like flower arranging.

Not a snide dig at all - its an absolute f****** mess at the moment!

What happened to the Derby way?

Manager says one thing and then does the other.

I was ok with GR coming in trying to turn us around but I now look at the players we had and the payers we now have and it does look like one step forward two back.

12 months on from Pearson are we are any further forward?

2 hours ago, toddy said:

Then why let someone like Elsnik a midfielder breaking into the first team go out on loan?

Nope, I personally think we had to offload players [selling them if possible - get the wage bill down etc] Nothing happening so they let one of the promising midfielders go to swindon  - then Wednesday and Cardiff come knocking last minute and bingo we now have a very light midfield. lets be honest here how long will it be before we lose Thorne again? Huddlestone is not getting any younger....

We lacked a creative midfielder prior to the window closing now we have lost Hughes, Bryson, Butterfield too - remember GR said he was replacing Will Hughes!!

Maybe we let Elsnik go because we feel like Guy is better suited for first team football? Brown at Port Vale said a week or so ago that we had said we werent letting Guy out this season, Rowett said last week he had spoken to Warnock, Warnock himself said Bryson was his no.1 target and had spoke to us earlier in the summer so the club were aware of Cardiffs interest so I dont think it was all as last minute as you may think.

Maybe in the 4231 Rowett dont think we need a creative player in the 2 and would prefer 2 actual defensive mids, something Hughes Bryson & Butterfield arent

11 minutes ago, DCFC1388 said:

Maybe we let Elsnik go because we feel like Guy is better suited for first team football? Brown at Port Vale said a week or so ago that we had said we werent letting Guy out this season, Rowett said last week he had spoken to Warnock, Warnock himself said Bryson was his no.1 target and had spoke to us earlier in the summer so the club were aware of Cardiffs interest so I dont think it was all as last minute as you may think.

Maybe in the 4231 Rowett dont think we need a creative player in the 2 and would prefer 2 actual defensive mids, something Hughes Bryson & Butterfield arent

Yes, but what happens when 4231 is ineffective against opponents - we cannot really change it,  -as you rightly say we dont have a creative midfielder.

Lets be honest here, we have played 4-2-3-1 this season and its not setting the division alight is it. Although results havent been so poor really but the performances in the formation are worrying.

2 hours ago, toddy said:

I guess the hope is (and for the record I think this might be the case) is that Kieth allows Huddlestone to flourish and dictate play.

On 1 September 2017 at 07:14, BramcoteRam84 said:

Had a red dog at work moaning about the Leeds game, how they had 60% of the ball and did nothing. I'd told him weeks ago Warburton only plays one way and when sussed it can be ineffective, just like Derby under McClaren.

We are not going to play hoofball, we now have a squad who can mix it up, compete physically, play possession football when it needs to and go long when it needs to. All the attributes required to be successful in the championship!!

So can people stop saying hoofball please. It's a crap argument for those who have already judged Rowett, and think he's turning us into Birmingham or Burton - he isn't.

Spot on ! Gave you a like .. Should have been 2 ! .. We have skilled players and a manger who has more than one tactical idea. True we might not have Will and Tom for magic moments but counter that with Huddlestones passing, Lawrence on the run and a nagging Nugent .. Voila 

mark my words .. We will be top 6,  we will score an above average number of goals and we will entertain. 

For me its a fine line what looks like hoof ball vs getting the ball forwards quickly to get in behind.  Leicester are an obvious example of what can be achieved by the latter and maybe Ipswich of the last few seasons are the prime example of the former. Like any formation and tactics you imbue within the team the two main factors which determine whether your Leicster or Ipswich (or most likley somewhere in between veering more towards Ipswich) are the personal you have at your disposal and how they buy into the managers vision. 

This is the team I would pick to match as close up to leicster in terms of current players if all were fit (this will cement any doubt in my own mind that if nothing I am a s**** armchair manager).

Carson

Wisdom   Shackell       Davies     Lowe

Kief

Thorne       Thudd

Lawerence                              Forsyth 

Bennett

Clearly some odd choices on the face of it but in my  my weird thought process a combo of thorne and thudd play the drinkwater through ball role. Kief might be our Kante, Lawerwnce is our Mahrez and Forsyth matches up Marc Allbrighton ( I think CF is our best crosser although im sure somebody will think he is worse than Nick Pickering or something) and Bennett probably has the most potential as being vardy like. 

This could also be the worst team anybody has ever suggested.

24 minutes ago, Orphanram said:

For me its a fine line what looks like hoof ball vs getting the ball forwards quickly to get in behind.  Leicester are an obvious example of what can be achieved by the latter and maybe Ipswich of the last few seasons are the prime example of the former. Like any formation and tactics you imbue within the team the two main factors which determine whether your Leicster or Ipswich (or most likley somewhere in between veering more towards Ipswich) are the personal you have at your disposal and how they buy into the managers vision. 

This is the team I would pick to match as close up to leicster in terms of current players if all were fit (this will cement any doubt in my own mind that if nothing I am a s**** armchair manager).

Carson

Kief

Thorne       Thudd

Bennett

Clearly some odd choices on the face of it but in my  my weird thought process a combo of thorne and thudd play the drinkwater through ball role. Kief might be our Kante, Lawerwnce is our Mahrez and Forsyth matches up Marc Allbrighton ( I think CF is our best crosser although im sure somebody will think he is worse than Nick Pickering or something) and Bennett probably has the most potential as being vardy like. 

Well, at least I agree with one thing in this post :lol:

On 01/09/2017 at 08:36, DCFC1388 said:

We play 4231 so how many players do we actually need to be fighting for the 2 places considering Rowett wanted a smaller squad as well as a pathway for the U23's if needed.

First team - Huddlestone, Kieftenbeld, Johnson, Thorne, Hanson, Baird (if required)

U23's - Guy, Bird

So 8 possible players for 2 positions are more than enough.

Well stated, Rowett often said we needed to trim the squad. Easier to train and easier to gel when getting in match day momentum

2 hours ago, Orphanram said:

Carson

Kief

Thorne       Thudd

Bennett

What in the high land of f**** is that?!:lol: You Nigel Pearson in disguise?:ph34r:

Archived