Feeling left out

archied

29 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

I'm beginning to think what Gary says and what Gary does are two very different things. :(

I think it's more like what Gary wants to do and what Gary can actually achieve are two very different things.

I don't blame him either.

We can't shift players out, so we can't move players in.

Thinking back, I'm a little concerned by Mel's assertion at the last forum that the squad is better than it's been for a long time.

I think it's a squad full of decent Championship players, with some real quality amongst it...Thorne, Keogh, Martin, for instance (Yeah, yeah)...but unbalanced and tricky to pick a coherent side from with an obvious plan. 

If we stick with what we've got, it'll be interesting to see what GR can make of them.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't like panic buys. I reckon this season and next summer is about gradually replacing some fixtures and building a tight-knit squad like we had under Clough. Something to make Tyrone Mears's head spin - three windows.

I don't think we should panic buy and I also agree to a certain extent regards 'stockpiling' players, however if we can get a player Rowett wants for a decent price then i'd rather add a player to the bulking squad in the knowledge that in Jan or next summer we can still get rid of surplus players already in the knowledge we have their replacement. Rather than missing out on a quality player because an average overpaid player not leaving us is restricting the deal

I just think some Derby fans need to grow up and stop with the "I want" crap. Over the past few seasons the club have spent a lot of money and it's got us nowhere, let's give this manager the time to build and stabilise the club at his pace and at a price the club can afford without getting into bother over the FFP regulations.

We obviously need to shift some players out to bring down the wage bill and to give Rowett the squad size that he feels happy with, bringing in "big money" signings can make things worse regarding the attitude of the other squad members if they feel undervalued and unwanted and their bitching and moaning can rub off on the rest of the squad. Give the club the time to do it right.

19 minutes ago, eddie said:

I don't like panic buys. I reckon this season and next summer is about gradually replacing some fixtures and building a tight-knit squad like we had under Clough. Something to make Tyrone Mears's head spin - three windows.

Adi Akinbiyi aka Adi Panic-biyi 

003D7A6900000258-2834637-image-13_1416420769646.jpg

2 hours ago, archied said:

Seems like a host of championship clubs are making late big signings and we are being left behind ,,, yes I know with our recent spending over the last few years ,our squad size and our wage bill it's probably the right thing but got to say I do crave a jota type signing ,just somebody to get excited over and perhaps the club could do with it to lift us and keep the turnstiles turning ,,,,

anybody else in the same position of feeling left out even though you know it's probably the right thing not to spend big on a marquee signing?

Not really. We've spent too much money on utter rubbish in the past few years. I'd rather see us gradually get rid of those and in the meantime give some of the more promising under 23's a chance rather than just splurging stupid amounts of cash to plaster over the cracks.

As far as I'm concerned we're in a rebuild at the moment and we're fortunate to be in a relatively competitive position during this process.

Besides we've already signed Wisdom, Davies, Huddlestone and Lawrence, all of whom I consider fantastic signings for this level. Add to the fact that last season we added Vydra and Nugent, along with Chrissy Martins return, we've got a fairly new squad. Blood the youth, let the rest gel and reassess in either January or the Summer when we have a much better grasp of the squad.

38 minutes ago, ossieram said:

I just think some Derby fans need to grow up and stop with the "I want" crap. Over the past few seasons the club have spent a lot of money and it's got us nowhere, let's give this manager the time to build and stabilise the club at his pace and at a price the club can afford without getting into bother over the FFP regulations.

We obviously need to shift some players out to bring down the wage bill and to give Rowett the squad size that he feels happy with, bringing in "big money" signings can make things worse regarding the attitude of the other squad members if they feel undervalued and unwanted and their bitching and moaning can rub off on the rest of the squad. Give the club the time to do it right.

Well put Ossie.

Rowett may guilty of a bit of spin at worst, he's hardly going to say half the team are gash and I want them out this summer, simply because he knows they have inflated contracts that's going to make them difficult to move on.

Most will get near their contract end before we can shift them out, unless they are prepared to compromise to play regular football.

Meantime Gary is going to need a few windows to add quality and churn the squad. All about patience, as dull as it may seem, we are lumbered with past mistakes and need to accept it.

So far I'm  reasonably happy with what he's done, he's probably as frustrated as us fans, but he can't admit that he's got to keep the squad pulling together believing they are largely part of the plan.

No panic buys thank you. We have to put faith in Gary and Mel as they've acknowledged openly the squad bloat, the desire to cut, so we have to let them get on with it. 

Im much more excited about outgoings then incomings ... cut cut CUT

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

In Mel we trust...

2 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

It's almost as if we haven't signed 4 players from Premier League teams...

OK I know Hull are no longer Premier League.

To be fair two are players reaching the tail end of career s from a relegated yo yo club and two were reserve players unable to get into their prem clubs teams , don't make them bad buys as such but just balancing the above comment ,,,,

take no notice of me it's window closing fever ,, will be fine once it's closed as I'm happy that mel and gary have the best long term interests of the club at heart 

Expecting a Mid table finish im sorry but after all the other clubs making good signings better thans us we aint going anywhere soon. Can see us in champ at least next 3 to 5 years unless we get new owners. I was a fan of mell but now im not hes spent his money but on what 3 managers and rubbish players. So frustrated!!!! 

3 minutes ago, TheRamsAreGoingUp said:

Expecting a Mid table finish im sorry but after all the other clubs making good signings better thans us we aint going anywhere soon. Can see us in champ at least next 3 to 5 years unless we get new owners. I was a fan of mell but now im not hes spent his money but on what 3 managers and rubbish players. So frustrated!!!! 

Best you change your profile name then. 

Yep we could be in for a tough one the way things are shaping up this window ,,,, how the hell are a lot of these clubs dealing with ffp? 

Archived