Feeling left out

archied

Seems like a host of championship clubs are making late big signings and we are being left behind ,,, yes I know with our recent spending over the last few years ,our squad size and our wage bill it's probably the right thing but got to say I do crave a jota type signing ,just somebody to get excited over and perhaps the club could do with it to lift us and keep the turnstiles turning ,,,,

anybody else in the same position of feeling left out even though you know it's probably the right thing not to spend big on a marquee signing?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pretty obvious that any new signings are predicated on us shipping out a few from the Clement era first. Unless we shift them we can't bring anyone in.

Gary's between a rock and hard place, knows the current lot aren't any good but can't move them on because no one else wants them. 

Pretty sure we wasn't linked with Johnson until about 11pm the night before deadline day, spent 6m on him and would be classed as a 'marquee' signing at the time so I still hold out some hope but I must admit I am slightly concerned by how quiet it is considering Rowett said himself he expected it to be very busy

It's been a frustrating window all round tbh. At the start we were told we were having a rebuild, which was exactly what was required for this squad given how we performed last season, especially the lack of quality in the final third. Yet here we are in the final few days of the transfer window having done the least business in the entire division, having sold our two best players including our top goal scorer, with no links to bringing anyone else in. If we weren't good enough last year, we sure as hell ain't now.

A lot of the overpaid s**** we were meant to be replacing is still here, starting and putting in the same spineless performances, especially away from home. However I'm not sure we can say this is all Gary's fault. He's come into a very difficult situation, it's clear that we can't sell the players that we need to and that's what's stopping us from bringing in quality players such as the aforementioned jota, and is exactly why we're being left in the dust of other clubs.

Sadly there's not a cat in hells chance we're going up this year because we simply haven't improved the team in this transfer window, the rebuild nessercery couldn't happen. Suppose we just have to hope that next summer we can have a proper clear out with players like Russell out of contract and build a team that can actually get us excited then, because right now there's little to be excited about as a derby fan- oh how we've fallen from the times under mac...!

And how did our deadline day in 15/16 season do in propelling us towards promotion? Signings create excitement, however we really don't need our fans expecting much more than they should do, which has provided us with a negative toxic atmosphere in previous seasons. I think we're more than 1 or 2 players from challenging, so throwing all the cash at a few won't change much for me.

6 minutes ago, DRBee said:

When Hughes and Ince were sold was there any intention to replace with similar quality.? That is not what was said at the time.For me the excuses don't wash.

There are players in our club that we paid millions for but we now are unable to even give them away because of the money they are on To get a player to move before their contract expires there has to be something in it for them and their advisors Players don't care who they play for its all about the contract Afraid Mr Rush has a lot to answer for in the contract department 

Just seems very flat this new season , I know there's the risk of buying a non performer but the way football is now ,fans want to have something to look forward to even if it's not promotion , a real flair player like jota to get the juices flowing and get fans excited and full of anticipation with the hope of seeing some special bits here and there in the way Hughes would give you enough times through a season to keep you paying the entrance fee ,like the ball through to bent last season ,,still lifts me seeing that goal produced in a Derby shirt 

1 hour ago, DCFC1388 said:

Pretty sure we wasn't linked with Johnson until about 11pm the night before deadline day, spent 6m on him and would be classed as a 'marquee' signing at the time so I still hold out some hope but I must admit I am slightly concerned by how quiet it is considering Rowett said himself he expected it to be very busy

I'm beginning to think what Gary says and what Gary does are two very different things. :(

1 hour ago, archied said:

Seems like a host of championship clubs are making late big signings and we are being left behind ,,, yes I know with our recent spending over the last few years ,our squad size and our wage bill it's probably the right thing but got to say I do crave a jota type signing ,just somebody to get excited over and perhaps the club could do with it to lift us and keep the turnstiles turning ,,,,

anybody else in the same position of feeling left out even though you know it's probably the right thing not to spend big on a marquee signing?

Rowett said he specifically didn't want to have to do any business late on - He wanted to have everything sorted by now

I still think some things may happen between now and the close of the window.

Now Burton have sold Irvine, then they may have someone off us (Bryson?) and not sure if there's any sell on from Shotton going to Boro, but we could possibly get a few pennies out of that.

Would love to see Jota, or even just a punt on a £1.5m hungry, skillful League 1 player. But either way, anything like that would be just papering over the cracks of our out of form and disparate team.

Getting Thorne fit, Forsyth in form and finding some spark to make our Forwards gel is what we need.

In fairness, had Tom Lawrence arrived an hour before the window closes for £6m or whatever we paid then that would have generated a deadline day buzz.

Moving on as many as possible and promoting from the u23 squad would suit me fine tbh.

Archived