Is Rowett up to the job

ramma

Patience really isn't a thing these days is it?

We weren't exactly inspired on Saturday - And it was against a technically poor Birmingham side - But it was the same problem we had under McClaren - They were well organised and hard working - We've struggled to break those kinds of sides down for ages, not just under Rowett - And I thought there were a few encouraging signs out there

Poor for their goal but overall I thought the defence was starting to look more solid - Not sure what happened at Bristol but stick a proper DM (Thorne, Ledley, Keiftenbeld from Jan) in there and it'll tighten up further

Weimann had one of his average games - But thought Lawrence was excellent in spurts - Vydra looked a bit over-whelmed in the middle - But it's going to take a bit of time for them all to get used to playing with each other

We're a side that can give someone a tanking on our day - Have been under every manager other than Pearson - But we have lacked consistency - And that's not going to come overnight

The major problem being I wonder if Rowett cursed himself slightly by over-promising on expectations this year?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we finish mid table so what? We need to give someone the time to make a go of the job, we can't just keep this revolving door policy in place because it results in poor decision making in the transfer market which in turn compounds the issue for the managers coming in.

We seem to have become an incredibly impatient club and a chunk of the fanbase has followed suit. So we don't look like getting promoted straight away, boo hoo.

Let's have some bloody patience for once and see what happens.

Just now, cheron85 said:

We weren't exactly inspired on Saturday - And it was against a technically poor Birmingham side - But it was the same problem we had under McClaren - They were well organised and hard working - We've struggled to break those kinds of sides down for ages, not just under Rowett - And I thought there were a few encouraging signs out there

Poor for their goal but overall I thought the defence was starting to look more solid - Not sure what happened at Bristol but stick a proper DM (Thorne, Ledley, Keiftenbeld from Jan) in there and it'll tighten up further

Weimann had one of his average games - But thought Lawrence was excellent in spurts - Vydra looked a bit over-whelmed in the middle - But it's going to take a bit of time for them all to get used to playing with each other

We're a side that can give someone a tanking on our day - Have been under every manager other than Pearson - But we have lacked consistency - And that's not going to come overnight

The major problem being I wonder if Rowett cursed himself slightly by over-promising on expectations this year?

Good post.

On the last point, I think you're probably right. I think the club in general now has a tendancy to say too much about too many things.  Too many statements of intent that can be used against you if you aren't careful (the Derby Way a now infamous example).  

6 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

This is perhaps the thing which irritates me the most. Vydra was closed down well and unfortunately it's not very hard to do. This game would have been perfect for overlapping fullbacks, but looks like they are not allowed to do so. I'm not expecting Baird to marauder down the line, but Olsson's strengths are in the attacking end. We look like a team with one-dimensional attacking, which is too easy to defend to against.

13 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Good post.

On the last point, I think you're probably right. I think the club in general now has a tendancy to say too much about too many things.  Too many statements of intent that can be used against you if you aren't careful (the Derby Way a now infamous example).  

Lazio yes I'm sure your right but with players needing no excuse to slacken off you need to set them high targets 

29 minutes ago, LazloW said:

Good post.

Thanks!

I wonder if part of it was to attract the players? If you say to the types of players we want (Huddlestone, Davies, Lawrence) we're a 'work in progress' and we're probably not going to challenge this season would they really sign?

Maybe Huddlestone would have still

20 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

This is perhaps the thing which irritates me the most. Vydra was closed down well and unfortunately it's not very hard to do. This game would have been perfect for overlapping fullbacks, but looks like they are not allowed to do so. I'm not expecting Baird to marauder down the line, but Olsson's strengths are in the attacking end. We look like a team with one-dimensional attacking, which is too easy to defend to against.

It takes time for any players to develop an understanding - They just need a bit of time playing together - There was a lot of nice tippy-tappy interplay around the box which didn't come off because their timings were a little out - That comes from playing together over a period of time - I think it's nice now though that we have a winger who can switch between attacking head on or putting dangerous crosses in

31 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

We seem to have become an incredibly impatient club and a chunk of the fanbase has followed suit. So we don't look like getting promoted straight away, boo hoo.

I think it's the constant introduction of the new messiah - Every time we introduce someone new they're the one to get us promoted

45 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

If we finish mid table so what? We need to give someone the time to make a go of the job, we can't just keep this revolving door policy in place because it results in poor decision making in the transfer market which in turn compounds the issue for the managers coming in.

Let's have some bloody patience for once and see what happens.

Amen!

1 hour ago, Dimmu said:

I think this is at least partly fueled by our fans expectation levels. We have been in the playoffs twice in recent times and that seems to have set a level of expectation above what I believe our level is right now. 

If a manager came in and said 'we will look to stabilise in the short term and work to a long term plan' half of this forum would instantly wet their pants in rage due to the club showing a lack of ambition.

The club can't win either way.

9 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I think this is at least partly fueled by our fans expectation levels. We have been in the playoffs twice in recent times and that seems to have set a level of expectation above what I believe our level is right now. 

If a manager came in and said 'we will look to stabilise in the short term and work to a long term plan' half of this forum would instantly wet their pants in rage due to the club showing a lack of ambition.

Rowett is not really helping himself with stuff like this though is he?

7th July

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/gary-rowett-importance-good-start-162609

"Talking to one or two managers in the Championship this summer, everyone feels it's going to be a really open league.

"Of course we are one of the teams and our expectation, because of the size of the club and amount of money we've invested, we have to be up there."

27th August

https://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/8698/big-interview-gary-rowett-ill-be-ashamed-if-were-not-in-the-top-six/

Big Interview – Gary Rowett: ‘I’ll be ashamed if we’re not in the top six’

Early days yet and I hope he can sort it out.

23 hours ago, Popular side said:

Footnote: don't agree with a player just playing a holding role, it's a negative tatic, keeps the defence too deep. With two runners in midfield, one holds one goes, mix it up. Makes it difficult for the opposition to pick up. 

Depends how the game is played. If you want to control the game it's the most important position on the pitch.

4 hours ago, RamNut said:

These worry me....

Gary Rowett Quotes

When you look at the likes of Mourinho's Inter Milan when they beat Barcelona and Bayern Munich to win the Champions League, they literally gave the ball away on purpose so they could maintain their defensive shape when they were 1-0 up, and I think a lot of teams at this level are looking at those types of aspects and seeing that as a feature of defensive play.

I love Dortmund's ethos and the ethos of Jurgen Klopp, Klopp says it himself: 'if we run more than the opposition, we will win' - and he's quite unashamed about that. It's all about effort and desire.

[John Beck's Cambridge of the early 1990s] was the first time I saw how an effective, solid, organised team could achieve things.

I don't get why he keeps comparing Klopp's Dortmund to Mourinho sides and Atletico Madrid. 

They were closer to Barcelona than they are the aforementioned. Footballing sides still press.

2 hours ago, Inglorius said:

If Rowett continues to serve up the double whammy of boring, unattractive football AND mediocre results then you can guess the rest.....

Part of what he's serving up is what he's inherited from the new idols of the forum - Clement and Mcclaren - who between the two with a small dose from Pearson have created the mess he's trying to repair.

6 minutes ago, Ninos said:

Part of what he's serving up is what he's inherited from the new idols of the forum - Clement and Mcclaren - who between the two with a small dose from Pearson have created the mess he's trying to repair.

Which portion of the mess did McClaren make? 

Fully expecting the answer to rhyme with Bris Fartin

1 minute ago, cannable said:

I don't get why he keeps comparing Klopp's Dortmund to Mourinho sides and Atletico Madrid. 

They were closer to Barcelona than they are the aforementioned. Footballing sides still press.

What he's getting at is that these days you can't just pass the ball around with no quick attacking purpose. Other teams set up. So to pull them out of their shape you have to outfox them. You can do that much more easily when the opposition are chasing goals. But to to do anything clever you need fast fit hungry players as a start.

This approach is how Rowett thrashed Mcclaren at Pride Park with a technically much weaker team. Remember that ? In fact many managers spoke of how easy it was to set up to beat a mcclaren side. 

And footballing sides mostly don't press. (Barca and Man City do yes) but Mac 1 side didn't press as a unit , we just had feisty quality midfielders as in Thorne Bryson Hughes. 

2 minutes ago, Ninos said:

This approach is how Rowett thrashed Mcclaren at Pride Park with a technically much weaker team. Remember that ?

Don't you mean Clement? The only game that they faced each other at Pride Park was the 2-2 where they scored in 4th and 8th minute of 3 minutes injury time?

would be bonkers to sack Rowett, ridiculous. 

Give him time ffs, I'm not gushing over his football at the minute and he talks himself into trouble quite a bit but sacking him will solve nothing.

Let him have this season and next and review where we are after that. wherever we finish, we finish, of course if we're rock bottom by Christmas then obviously review it, we are in transition. 

we need stability, crying out for it. Give him time to build something, going round on the same old merry go round is hurting this club. We can't just keep changing 1-2 managers a season it's ridiculous.

28 minutes ago, Ninos said:

How many of our current squad was brought in by McClaren?

Thorne... Who else?

To say Mac created this mess is barmy. He only had one summer transfer window where the main arrivals were Thorne and Christie, the latter being sold for a tidy profit.

53 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

Hmm.. not sure where are talking about the same thing here. I was talking about overlapping fullbacks, not so much clubs expectations. Just more suitable tactical option what Rowett choose to use in the last game.

He could have won me over if he had chosen other way after seeing plan A ain't working.

Archived