The boring Man City discussion

Jourdan

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was one of those one in a hundred games where heroic defending, wasted chances and a simple defensive error cost City.

Will Grigg’s finish was superb. Not only did so much go in favour of Wigan, their only chance of the game was a super finish from a player who’d probably miss those more often than he scores.

Can’t say much for the fans, but City’s manager and players took defeat on the chin. Could have been easy to blame the referee, call Wigan lucky etc. But they didn’t and offered their congratulations to Wigan.

Classy.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Was one of those one in a hundred games where heroic defending, wasted chances and a simple defensive error cost City.

Will Grigg’s finish was superb. Not only did so much go in favour of Wigan, their only chance of the game was a super finish from a player who’d probably miss those more often than he scores.

Can’t say much for the fans, but City’s manager and players took defeat on the chin. Could have been easy to blame the referee, call Wigan lucky etc. But they didn’t and offered their congratulations to Wigan.

Classy.

Did you actually watch the game..?? The city players and manager were a bunch of mardy ******. 

It wasn’t the refs fault they lost, it was a red card no doubt. 

2 hours ago, MuespachRam said:

Did you actually watch the game..?? The city players and manager were a bunch of mardy ******. 

It wasn’t the refs fault they lost, it was a red card no doubt. 

Yes I watched it. City grew frustrated because they couldn’t get that elusive goal - that’s natural.

After the game they dealt with defeat with dignity.

Calling them a bunch of mardy something or other during the game is pretty pointless. Who walks around with a smile on their face when they’re drawing or losing to a team two divisions below them with the whole world watching...

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Yes I watched it. City grew frustrated because they couldn’t get that elusive goal - that’s natural.

After the game they dealt with defeat with dignity.

Calling them a bunch of mardy something or other during the game is pretty pointless. Who walks around with a smile on their face when they’re drawing or losing to a team two divisions below them with the whole world watching...

The scenes in the tunnel at half time were not in any way, shape or form "dignified".

Embarrassing from both sides really. Both the half time scenes and fan trouble at the end could have been prevented, it doesn't excuse the behaviour of players, managers or fans though. 

If Cook and his players don't hound the ref and fourth official to get Delph sent off does Pep react like that? I don't think so. 

If the stewards and police actually did their jobs and stop the Wigan fans confronting City fans at the end of the game is there any trouble? Nope. The pitch invasion obviously to blame but it's hard to stop them happening. What shouldn't have happened was letting thousands of Wigan fans goad a load of pissed off Mancs, that was just asking for trouble. It doesn't matter who the fans are in that away end, every set of fans would have reacted. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

If Cook and his players don't hound the ref and fourth official to get Delph sent off does Pep react like that? I don't think so. 

The same Pep, ex Barcelona manager who's players mastered the art of referee entrapment? :ph34r:

2 hours ago, David said:

The same Pep, ex Barcelona manager who's players mastered the art of referee entrapment? :ph34r:

The exact same one. 

In this incident in isolation when everyones crying about Pep's behaviour, the City fans and Aguero "attacking" Wigan fans it's a key factor. 

12 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

The exact same one. 

In this incident in isolation when everyones crying about Pep's behaviour, the City fans and Aguero "attacking" Wigan fans it's a key factor. 

That "attack" was a load of cobblers unlike Wigan's which knocked Man City out the FA Cup....but anyhow, fan runs up to player, gets pushed away, nothing more. What amuses me the most is when Aguero goes back towards the fan he tries to hide behind his mate, would not let him live that one down if I knew him, what a female genitalia he was.

Pep was a bit of a clown, the way he reacted at half time for what ever reason showed the exact opposite of class, there is no high horse for him to sit on with players behaviour to the referee, no stranger to confronting them face to face himself either. Don't like it, don't do it yourself. 

Should have took his anger out on Delph for that ridiculous tackle, last couple of weeks calling for better protection of his players and whilst you will see far worse tackles than that, both feet went off the ground and off in he went. Foolish.

Pep's full time interview with the BBC wasn't much better. I saw a written report that he agreed with the red but on watching an interview you can see he's trying not to upset the FA, quite short with his answers whilst bubbling away ready to burst.

He has a similar warped view of the game as some on this forum in that the most shots and possession should win games. Reiterating the fact they played the perfect game and Wigan only had one shot.

That shot went in. The aim of the game.

With the talent on the pitch even with 10 men that was far from being the perfect game. 

Still the medias darling though and will walk the title, journalists will throw themselves at his feet as he lines up another list of £50m defenders to load his squad with. Ugh.

14 minutes ago, David said:

That "attack" was a load of cobblers unlike Wigan's which knocked Man City out the FA Cup....but anyhow, fan runs up to player, gets pushed away, nothing more. What amuses me the most is when Aguero goes back towards the fan he tries to hide behind his mate, would not let him live that one down if I knew him, what a female genitalia he was.

Pep was a bit of a clown, the way he reacted at half time for what ever reason showed the exact opposite of class, there is no high horse for him to sit on with players behaviour to the referee, no stranger to confronting them face to face himself either. Don't like it, don't do it yourself. 

Should have took his anger out on Delph for that ridiculous tackle, last couple of weeks calling for better protection of his players and whilst you will see far worse tackles than that, both feet went off the ground and off in he went. Foolish.

Pep's full time interview with the BBC wasn't much better. I saw a written report that he agreed with the red but on watching an interview you can see he's trying not to upset the FA, quite short with his answers whilst bubbling away ready to burst.

He has a similar warped view of the game as some on this forum in that the most shots and possession should win games. Reiterating the fact they played the perfect game and Wigan only had one shot.

With the talent on the pitch even with 10 men that was far from being the perfect game. 

Still the medias darling though and will walk the title, journalists will throw themselves at his feet as he lines up another list of £50m defenders to load his squad with. Ugh.

Pep's not really on a high horse IMO, everyone involved in competitive football is guilty of what he's done. There's no higher ground to take because everyone does it. The same as when teams come to PP and time waste you'll see Rowett, the coaching staff, the players and fans irate. That doesn't mean we're on a high horse when we do it pretty much every game? No, it's just part and parcel of it.  Could be hounding the ref, time wasting, diving... all traits that all teams take advantage of in one respect and then are outraged when it goes against you. I don't see a big need to try and nail him for it, same with the class bit. What manager in the world has been classy throughout his career? Can't think of any. Regardless of whether he's been guilty of doing it in the past, in that moment last night in a high pressured competitive fixture you would lose your ****. I know I would. 

Sending off is debatable and will be forever. You see two footer, I see one footer with his other leg tucked under his leading leg (foot towards his arse). Out of control apparently yet I'm not sure how many of those tackles last night were in control. "Could have broke his leg" is another good one I've seen on here. I remember Jonathan Douglas tackling with control trying to block a shot and it snapped George Thorne's leg in two places. Didn't even get a card. Delph sent off because it could have hurt somebody if he'd have mistimed it (which he didn't). Maybe I'm out of touch with the modern game, thought it was a cracking challenge. Looks 10 times worse than it was because the geezer rolls to Bolton and back despite not being injured. 

Wigan deserve massive credit but I don't think Pep's too far off with his summary. On another day they take one of those relatively easy chances and they go through, despite playing well below their standard. Thankfully for Wigans sake that didn't happen. 

7 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Pep's not really on a high horse IMO, everyone involved in competitive football is guilty of what he's done. There's no higher ground to take because everyone does it. The same as when teams come to PP and time waste you'll see Rowett, the coaching staff, the players and fans irate. That doesn't mean we're on a high horse when we do it pretty much every game? No, it's just part and parcel of it.  Could be hounding the ref, time wasting, diving... all traits that all teams take advantage of in one respect and then are outraged when it goes against you. I don't see a big need to try and nail him for it, same with the class bit. What manager in the world has been classy throughout his career? Can't think of any. Regardless of whether he's been guilty of doing it in the past, in that moment last night in a high pressured competitive fixture you would lose your ****. I know I would. 

Classy came into it as Bris praised Pep and the players for the manner in which they took the defeat on the chin, I struggle to see how he behaved in a way to be praised after the half time antics and post match interview.

7 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Sending off is debatable and will be forever. You see two footer, I see one footer with his other leg tucked under his leading leg (foot towards his arse). Out of control apparently yet I'm not sure how many of those tackles last night were in control. "Could have broke his leg" is another good one I've seen on here. I remember Jonathan Douglas tackling with control trying to block a shot and it snapped George Thorne's leg in two places. Didn't even get a card. Delph sent off because it could have hurt somebody if he'd have mistimed it (which he didn't). Maybe I'm out of touch with the modern game, thought it was a cracking challenge. Looks 10 times worse than it was because the geezer rolls to Bolton and back despite not being injured. 

Had the referee seen the Douglas tackle fully he would have seen Red, it's difficult to compare challenges and question cards when we don't see what the ref sees at the time. With all these fancy camera angles and replays it's much easier.

Put aside any debate on if Delph was in control or not, he went in with studs showing and every single footballer knows that's a red card. That's why I say it was foolish from him, you can see from his reaction straight away he messed up there, if Man City don't challenge with the FA, that tells you all you need to know.

20 minutes ago, David said:

Classy came into it as Bris praised Pep and the players for the manner in which they took the defeat on the chin, I struggle to see how he behaved in a way to be praised after the half time antics and post match interview.

Fair doo's, I agree he shouldn't be praised for it but I don't he should be nailed either. Didn't see Bris' praise. 

20 minutes ago, David said:

Had the referee seen the Douglas tackle fully he would have seen Red, it's difficult to compare challenges and question cards when we don't see what the ref sees at the time. With all these fancy camera angles and replays it's much easier.

Put aside any debate on if Delph was in control or not, he went in with studs showing and every single footballer knows that's a red card. That's why I say it was foolish from him, you can see from his reaction straight away he messed up there, if Man City don't challenge with the FA, that tells you all you need to know.

I'm still on the side of saying no red, through gritted teeth. Studs are showing but down instead of the obvious up because of the angle and height he comes in from, there was no other way to challenge for that ball competitively so I don't know what he should do. Each to their own though. It splits opinions this one, it's not an obvious yellow/red decision IMO so there's no way the FA will overturn the ref IMO. 

1 hour ago, David said:

That's heresy.

Archived