The boring Man City discussion

Jourdan

On 26/01/2018 at 17:36, Bris Vegas said:

John Stones was the record for a British player. He wasn't the outright record for a defender though, that was David Luiz who moved to PSG. If you take inflation into account, Rio Ferdinand was more expensive back in 2001.

Juan Sebastian Veron at £30m was another massive fee from United back in 2001.

Ederson isn't technically the most expensive goalkeeper, that would be Gigi Buffon again back in 2001 or something like that. But for a British club yeah Ederson is the most expensive (though at 23 he's worth it). I'd imagine that will get dwarfed soon when one of the big clubs pays Jan Oblak's £80m release clause.

Who are the four of the six highest fees for a defender? I've heard this stat before but I can only think of Mendy, Walker and Stones? 

While City have spent big, no doubt about that, they've done it by buying players who are early 20s and have the best part of eight years ahead of them. All these fees will be eclipsed in the next two seasons.

When you think about it, they've generally spent well during Pep's reign. They'd make a profit on most of their players should they sell them now with the exception of Bravo. 

He certainly spends very well indeed!

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, uttoxram75 said:

If City sign Fred then they’ll have no choice but to snap up Aden Flint from Bristol City just so the fans can say, 

fred flint stones...Abu Dhabi doo

*sigh*

If only football worked like this.

Maybe one day we’ll see a midfield of Xhaka Can… maybe one day…

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

Just heard warnock blaiming Sane for being too quick, when talking about Bennetts tackle which was more akin to a Streetfighter/Mortal Kombat style kick

His "sliding tackle" saw him slide through the air at shin height!!!!

Can you imagine Colin’s outrage if it was one of his players on the receiving end of that tackle?

Sane has suffered ligament damage. Could be out for over a month.

It was a disgraceful challenge. No attempt to play the ball and his only intent was to wipe out the player. Should have been a red card all day long and such thugish tactics should be heavily punished.

The player said he didn't mean to do it. What exactly was he trying to achieve if it wasn't to hurt Sane?

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Sane has suffered ligament damage. Could be out for over a month.

Isn't that just a fancy way of saying a sprained ankle which is nothing in terms of football injuries, when you see the still shots lucky he's not on crutches. probably got away with it as it didn't look outrageously high/late in real time, seen much worse and that's not to defend him. 

Given the injury and he's not on crutches I'm going to guess that there was no intention of hurting Sane, but to simply take him out, trip him. Any amount of real I'm going to hurt this guy force and it's broken bones out for 6 months.

26 minutes ago, David said:

Isn't that just a fancy way of saying a sprained ankle which is nothing in terms of football injuries, when you see the still shots lucky he's not on crutches. probably got away with it as it didn't look outrageously high/late in real time, seen much worse and that's not to defend him. 

Given the injury and he's not on crutches I'm going to guess that there was no intention of hurting Sane, but to simply take him out, trip him. Any amount of real I'm going to hurt this guy force and it's broken bones out for 6 months.

Bit naive of you David if you didnt think that wasn't a calculated challenge to hurt him He's of the ground not even looking at the ball straight red all day It shouldn't have happened because he should have had a red in the first half Bennett is a very good player but always has a bad tackle in his locker 

21 minutes ago, Mistaram said:

Bit naive of you David if you didnt think that wasn't a calculated challenge to hurt him He's of the ground not even looking at the ball straight red all day It shouldn't have happened because he should have had a red in the first half Bennett is a very good player but always has a bad tackle in his locker 

You call everyone naive so I'll take it as a compliment. Neither of us can sit here and say 100% for sure what went through Bennett's mind, but as I say, any real force with that tackle and he's in surgery with broken bones. Yes it was deliberate, his eyes tell you that, but trip, tangle of legs, take him down and slow the attack. Similar to what Johnny Russell thought was needed although he went for the classic bear hug at Birmingham.

26 minutes ago, David said:

You call everyone naive so I'll take it as a compliment. Neither of us can sit here and say 100% for sure what went through Bennett's mind, but as I say, any real force with that tackle and he's in surgery with broken bones. Yes it was deliberate, his eyes tell you that, but trip, tangle of legs, take him down and slow the attack. Similar to what Johnny Russell thought was needed although he went for the classic bear hug at Birmingham.

Nah. 

His tackle on Diaz in the 90th minute on a yellow card with the game dead shows you all you needed to know about what he was up to that game. He was out to hurt anyone who was showing him up. 

39 minutes ago, Norman said:

Nah. 

His tackle on Diaz in the 90th minute on a yellow card with the game dead shows you all you needed to know about what he was up to that game. He was out to hurt anyone who was showing him up. 

1 red card, 18 yellows in over 120 games, he's not a player to go out and "hurt" others. Not saying Warnock didn't send them out to leave a boot in, disrupt their flow but to say a player went out with the intention of hurting other players, I just don't see it. 

Archived