The boring Man City discussion

Jourdan

10 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Performed poorly? They reached the semi-finals in 3 successive years.

But it’s how he got Bayern playing. He got them playing the best football they’d ever played.

I disagree. Heynckes football before him was the best football they ever played, and they won everything with him. They did perform poorly. Pep took over a side that was just Champions, and had slaughtered Barcelona to get there. He then proceeded to slip up every time since. That's my definition of poor performance.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

point taken mate , but id just like to point out Real and Atletico ara having slip ups in their league , Real especially are having a nightmare league season

I'm just sick of seeing people rave about foreign teams, when some of our domestic teams are the best in Europe! I can easily see 4 English teams being in the quarter finals, which is some feet! Real may be having a nightmare season - but they could beat PSG. Real always step it up in the CL, but they couldn't beat Spurs. Liverpool absolutely slaughtered Porto too, likewise City with Basel.

12 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'm just sick of seeing people rave about foreign teams, when some of our domestic teams are the best in Europe! I can easily see 4 English teams being in the quarter finals, which is some feet! Real may be having a nightmare season - but they could beat PSG. Real always step it up in the CL, but they couldn't beat Spurs. Liverpool absolutely slaughtered Porto too, likewise City with Basel.

Don't think you can read too much into the Basel result, they aren't even the best team in Switzerland.

26 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I disagree. Heynckes football before him was the best football they ever played, and they won everything with him. They did perform poorly. Pep took over a side that was just Champions, and had slaughtered Barcelona to get there. He then proceeded to slip up every time since. That's my definition of poor performance.

What type of football did they play under Heynckes?

1 minute ago, cannable said:

What type of football did they play under Heynckes?

Extremely direct. Pragmatic stuff, and it certainly was different to the Guardiola football. But their attacking counters, with pace were a joy to watch. Barcelona couldn't live with them that season. If you lost the ball in their half, there was a reasonable chance that they could create a chance from that. Robben and Ribery were unplayable for parts of that Champions League campaign.

How disappointing were Chelsea against City? Made no attempt to attack throughout.

Guardiola becomes only the second manager to do the double over Conte.

18 points clear. Win the next two and they could seal the title in the home game against Man Utd.

You could say that about most teams that face City. Apart from Liverpool no one dares to have a go. Defensively I don’t think they’re that great but then again I don’t know because they don’t get tested! 

9 minutes ago, Squid said:

You could say that about most teams that face City. Apart from Liverpool no one dares to have a go. Defensively I don’t think they’re that great but then again I don’t know because they don’t get tested! 

The same used to be said of Barcelona. City push the fullbacks so far forward you can get at their CB’s one vs one, but I think they’ve generally defended really well.

Laporte looked great today.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Another excellent performance by City. 

They've now beaten all 19 opponents this season. Remarkable achievement,

Next four games are Liverpool (CL), Man Utd (PL), Liverpool (CL) and Spurs (PL).

Great run of games for City, and I reckon they'll have won the title and advanced the semi-finals of the Champions League after that.

3 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Pretty much. They obviously play excellent football, I just never enjoy their games because it frustrates me how bad most of their opponents are.

Everton's tactics in the first-half were awful. But it's hard for teams to strike that perfect balance. Go full on park-the-bus defensive mode and you get criticised for not giving it a go, and probably lose 2-0 or so.

Or you go attacking and open like Everton did first-half, and you just get battered with space appearing all over the park. 

Aside from having the best players, City are so far ahead tactically teams are being made to look foolish against them.

I wonder if @Jourdan will finally give Pep the credit he deserves...

An excellent coach who has always been supplied with an abundance of riches. I appreciate him for what he is, a man who requires the perfect pieces and if given them he creates magic. 

He's not one of the best managers ever but he certainly is one of the best men to ever coach a style into a team/the game. I'd like to see it tested more keenly, roll on the champions league. England is a very weak place atm with Jose's United and Chelsea giving up. Liverpool the only matchable side and they keep faltering over easy hurdles. 

Tottenham have disappointed, I thought they'd make more of a go of it. 

18 hours ago, Alex W said:

An excellent coach who has always been supplied with an abundance of riches. I appreciate him for what he is, a man who requires the perfect pieces and if given them he creates magic. 

He's not one of the best managers ever but he certainly is one of the best men to ever coach a style into a team/the game. I'd like to see it tested more keenly, roll on the champions league. England is a very weak place atm with Jose's United and Chelsea giving up. Liverpool the only matchable side and they keep faltering over easy hurdles. 

Tottenham have disappointed, I thought they'd make more of a go of it. 

Good post Alex. I wish we were as boring as a team with de Bryne and Silva playing exquisite football. I may be a little biased but including Europe I don’t believe there’s a team to touch them. Doesn’t mean they can’t lose but when they tick which is pretty constant just now they are frighteningly good. 

Will be a brilliant game against Liverpool, I wonder what Pep’s tactics will be. I would start Laporte over Kompany as Kompany’s inability on the ball cost City in the Anfield clash in the premier league.

I would also start a midfield 4 of Fernandinho, Gundogan, Silva and De Bruyne for more control and then have sane and Jesus as the two up front.

4 hours ago, SKRam said:

Good post Alex. I wish we were as boring as a team with de Bryne and Silva playing exquisite football. I may be a little biased but including Europe I don’t believe there’s a team to touch them. Doesn’t mean they can’t lose but when they tick which is pretty constant just now they are frighteningly good. 

I’d like to see Bayern v Man City. Man City have been brilliant but I think Bayern edge Man City out slightly with their experience.Their 6-0 win against Dortmund yesterday  was a real statement.

Archived