The boring Man City discussion

Jourdan

1 hour ago, Highgate said:

It's not just success though, Man City are walking away with the league.  A league containing plenty of other sides with enormous financial resources.

What is quite special about Pep is the intensity of effort he manages to get from his extremely talented teams. That's not always easy, just ask Wenger.  All while playing exciting attacking football.  He deserves a lot of credit in my opinion.  Would a Champions League win convince people, or would they still argue he should be doing it with Hull City before he can be called a great manager?

I think he is very good, Id just shy away from being carried away with it based on this season. It's also a bit like Michael Schumacher winning all those titles in the fastest car - yes he was great (when not ramming people out the road) but it's possible that half a dozen of his rivals if given the same equipment and support could've won - but they never did get that car, arguably, because they weren't as good drivers.

Man city at present are clearly the best in the division and play nice football, but Man U, Arsenal and Liverpool have all been that team in the past.

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Rubbish. 5 Prem teams made it out of the group stages on the Champions League, so why is the prem poor quality?

im not on about champions league , im talking about the Prem, very much like scotland this season , one team running away with it while the others trip over themselves, cant see it changing much next season either , teams like Man United , Chelsea , Spurs have got to spend huge amounts of money in the summer just to get on par with City

1 hour ago, Premier ram said:

im not on about champions league , im talking about the Prem, very much like scotland this season , one team running away with it while the others trip over themselves, cant see it changing much next season either , teams like Man United , Chelsea , Spurs have got to spend huge amounts of money in the summer just to get on par with City

Yeah, but the quality of the Premier League isn't rubbish. Proven by the fact Spurs can beat Real Madrid, Chelsea can beat Atletico etc. Champions League quality is relevant. City are just the best team in Europe by some margin, but even Madrid or Barcelona wouldn't compete with them in a league. The Premier League is still strong, therefore your point is invalid.

5 hours ago, David said:

They can but it's every player, if they spent £50m on a striker, another £50m on a midfielder and again a centre back no issues. But 2 right backs, £50m each, come on now.

SAF played a huge part in the academy setup, a lasting legacy from his time at the club yet will go down the drain with Mourinho unfortunately 

But that’s easy to say after 20 years in the job. How can Pep have an influence now on City’s academy in only his second season?

Man City needed to buy half a new team. For other clubs to catch them they will also spend big.

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

Bayern is so far ahead of any other Bundesliga club financially it isn't even funny. It's level with Scotland in terms of a one club league. Pep bought Lewandowski from Dortmund, and managed to perform worse in the Champions League than Jupp Heynckes did. Pep also spent considerably more than Pellegrini, it isn't even close in terms of net spend. My point is, why should Pep get the hype for a job that dozens of other managers could have achieved? He's done nothing the hard way, and had every success handed on a silver platter. Therefore, I'll never rate him as highly as other managers, and it's why I'll always rate Mourinho above him.

I personally don’t understand the perception you have to win the CL to really prove yourself at a club.

It’s a cup competition where anything can happen. Money is irrelevant when there are six or so clubs with all the best players.

Real Madrid and Man Utd were the two powerhouses in terms of finance for a good decade, but only had two CL trophies between them.

Bayern under Pep were good enough to win the CL, but for one reason or another, they were stopped at the semi-final stage.

Just now, Bris Vegas said:

I personally don’t understand the perception you have to win the CL to really prove yourself at a club.

It’s a cup competition where anything can happen. Money is irrelevant when there are six or so clubs with all the best players.

Real Madrid and Man Utd were the two powerhouses in terms of finance for a good decade, but only had two CL trophies between them.

Bayern under Pep were good enough to win the CL, but for one reason or another, they were stopped at the semi-final stage.

What does winning the Bundesliga with Bayern prove? It's harder to NOT do, than to do. 

How can we judge how good Pep's Bayern side was, when they performed poorly every time in the Champions league? 

23 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Yeah, but the quality of the Premier League isn't rubbish. Proven by the fact Spurs can beat Real Madrid, Chelsea can beat Atletico etc. Champions League quality is relevant. City are just the best team in Europe by some margin, but even Madrid or Barcelona wouldn't compete with them in a league. The Premier League is still strong, therefore your point is invalid.

Probably not Madrid at the moment, but I think it would be very close between City and Barca. No evidence to suggest it wouldn't be.

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Probably not Madrid at the moment, but I think it would be very close between City and Barca. No evidence to suggest it wouldn't be.

Isn't there? Barca couldn't beat Chelsea, who are how many points behind City? City are miles ahead of the other English sides, who have been tearing Europe a new one. We'll see in the head to heads, but I don't see a team stopping City.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Isn't there? Barca couldn't beat Chelsea, who are how many points behind City? City are miles ahead of the other English sides, who have been tearing Europe a new one. We'll see in the head to heads, but I don't see a team stopping City.

Your evidence is backed up by one game? City couldn't beat Wigan, Burnley or Crystal Palace.

Just now, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Your evidence is backed up one game? City couldn't beat Wigan, Burnley or Crystal Palace.

Wigan game is a null point, it wasn't their starting XI. But I accept, it's potentially pushing it. Like I said, it remains to be seen, but I see City stomping their way to a Champions League title. Barca don't look impressive, nor Madrid. 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Wigan game is a null point, it wasn't their starting XI. But I accept, it's potentially pushing it. Like I said, it remains to be seen, but I see City stomping their way to a Champions League title. Barca don't look impressive, nor Madrid. 

Would be a great final this year City v Barca.

As for not looking impressive, they're still unbeaten in the league and CL and in the Copa del Rey final, not too bad.

1 minute ago, ViewsFromTheMiddle said:

Would be a great final this year City v Barca.

As for not looking impressive, they're still unbeaten in the league and CL and in the Copa del Rey final, not too bad.

Quite a few draws though. The likes of Getafe, Espanyol, Las Palmas and Celta Vigo, in just two months!

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

People make out spending money is an easy route to success despite ourselves spending £27,000,000 on a squad that cost £5,000,000, was the best team in the league and yet managed to get worse 

It IS an easy route. City went from a nothing club to Champions League every single year, explain how this happened over night? 

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

It IS an easy route. City went from a nothing club to Champions League every single year, explain how this happened over night? 

Between the takeover and their first title they still spent well over £200,000,000 on **** that got nowhere near their title winning side; and that’s not including Tevez 

1 minute ago, cannable said:

Between the takeover and their first title they still spent well over £200,000,000 on **** that got nowhere near their title winning side; and that’s not including Tevez 

Nowhere near a title yes - but it took a perennial mid table side to a top 4 side. That wins that a lot of extra revenue and publicity, and makes players join them. It's an easy way to do something, undeniably. I don't see how you can reject that?  

17 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Nowhere near a title yes - but it took a perennial mid table side to a top 4 side. That wins that a lot of extra revenue and publicity, and makes players join them. It's an easy way to do something, undeniably. I don't see how you can reject that?  

The point was; it’s still difficult to spend money well

5 hours ago, Andicis said:

What does winning the Bundesliga with Bayern prove? It's harder to NOT do, than to do. 

How can we judge how good Pep's Bayern side was, when they performed poorly every time in the Champions league? 

Performed poorly? They reached the semi-finals in 3 successive years.

But it’s how he got Bayern playing. He got them playing the best football they’d ever played.

16 hours ago, Andicis said:

point taken mate , but id just like to point out Real and Atletico ara having slip ups in their league , Real especially are having a nightmare league season

39 minutes ago, Premier ram said:

point taken mate , but id just like to point out Real and Atletico ara having slip ups in their league , Real especially are having a nightmare league season

Atletico aren't really having too many slip ups at the moment.

They've won their last 6 and are only 5 points behind the unbeaten Barca, with the two going head to head tomorrow, should be a great game.

Just looked and Espanyol are the only team to have beaten Atletico so far.

They'll of course be disappointed with their CL campaign though, not that it was the easiest of groups with Chelsea and Roma, even though it was the two draws against Qarabag that cost them.

Archived