Tactical/Technical things professionals do which baffle you

sage

I often watch games on TV or live and see players choosing to do stuff which makes no sense to me. Feel free to add what makes you shake your head or rip other posters for their views. Please don't make this a Russell et al bashing thread though.

I will start off with CBs and CMs closing down potential shooters on the edge of the box by standing square in front of them so they can curl the ball around them into the corner. This is particularly odd when a right footed player is cutting in from the left or vice versa.

I was always taught to close down their stronger foot and if they do switch feet, whilst you have slightly less chance chance of blocking the shot at worst your keeper is trying to save a probably weaker shot whilst fully sighted,  

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Echo short corners. Unless your a team full of midgets like the Barca side of 2010-14, set-pieces are pretty much 50-50 so in such situations you are on par with your opponents, no matter how superior they may be in other aspects of the game.

So when I see someone like West Ham taking a short corner against Man City, the mind just boggles. Why would they do that? 

When defenders needlessly back off when faced one vs one with a player with a lot of pace. It's just allowing the striker space and time to manoevre the ball. Pique does it a lot vs Ronaldo, and more often than not he ends up getting turned one way then another allowing Ronaldo a free shot. Close the space and the problem is solved!

I'm sure I will think of plenty more, but those two jump out at me.

41 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Putting arms in the air to appeal for offside while chasing back to defend.

Short corners. 

I don't mind short corners as long as they follow the golden rule.

Send a player to offer a short option. If the defending team send one player to counter this then take it short. If they send 2 then take it long.  

I hate to see teams squander possession right from the kick-off by simply hoofing it long towards the opponents corner. I know they want to put the opposing team under pressure early on, but it's just so negative.  They have possession and right away they seem to want to give it away.  Most teams seem to do it now.

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

Echo short corners. Unless your a team full of midgets like the Barca side of 2010-14, set-pieces are pretty much 50-50 so in such situations you are on par with your opponents, no matter how superior they may be in other aspects of the game.

So when I see someone like West Ham taking a short corner against Man City, the mind just boggles. Why would they do that? 

When defenders needlessly back off when faced one vs one with a player with a lot of pace. It's just allowing the striker space and time to manoevre the ball. Pique does it a lot vs Ronaldo, and more often than not he ends up getting turned one way then another allowing Ronaldo a free shot. Close the space and the problem is solved!

I'm sure I will think of plenty more, but those two jump out at me.

Corners are so rarely converted into goals it doesn't baffle me as much.

What's wrong with trying something different? Nobody has ever got corners 'right' really.

Penalties. Every single one that isn’t a simple pick a corner, run up and smash it into next week.

You get no extra style points for looking like you need the toilet before chipping it gently hoping to fool the keeper.

I would fine them a months wages.

one that annoys and baffles is when an attacking player heads the ball goalwards when they have zero chance of scoring, and they're only giving the keeper some tame catching practice! Why not knock the ball away from goal, hopefully into the danger zone!

Archived