Tactical/Technical things professionals do which baffle you

sage

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Derbados said:

Teams kicking off and immediately hoofing the ball straight to the opposition players?? Why?? Just why??

Probably to stretch the teams out and for players to get into their shape quickly. At kick off all the other are team are compact and behind the ball.

Will put different things into different posts. Great idea for a thread.

First, it's not having a man on both posts at corners. I know the theory is that it's easier to play offside by stepping out quickly, but I hate it when the ball scuffs off someone and trickles slowly into our net because there's no one to kick it away. Or when someone hits it hard into the corner and there's no one there to make a simple clearance.

Of course some professionals are idiot and stand just outside the post or behind the line, negating the entire point of their allocated role.

Another thing is unnecassary backpasses. An outfield player should be better with his feet than a goalkeeper, but so many times when there's no pressure, instead of playing the ball forwards themselves they lose 20-30 years passing it back to the keeper, conceding territory and putting the goalie under pressure. Take responsibility yourselves!

I haven't seen on yesterday's footage that led to the first goal what Huddlestone's position was when he played a difficult ball back onto Carson's weaker foot with a striker bearing down on him. It may well have been easier for Huddlestone to clear the ball himself instead of passing the buck and giving Carson the responsibility.

Archived