Chance encounters with famous people

Chester40

I have had many un-chance encounters with various footballers and celebrities so they don't really count as they were expecting to talk to us. People who were particularly nice though were Roger Black, Will Young and the Jackson's (unfortunately without the most famous one).

I did however once ask Kevin Hector who he thought he was looking at when he was having a drink in The Gate at Swanwick! I didn't have my specs on and didn't recognise him even though I watched him playing football every week at the time. My other half was mortified. I have to say he was very nice about it.

Mark Wright told one of his children to stop bothering us when me and my sister were eating in the pizza place on the Spot. He was lovely too.

My most embarrassing encounter though was with a woman with a familiar face that I met going into the ladies loo in the Royal Albert Hall. I stopped her to say hello and 'fancy seeing you here' to which she responded likewise and asked me how I was. We had a quick chat about the concert we were at and went our separate ways and I racked my brains for about a week trying to remember where I knew her from (I'd assumed I knew her from work). It wasn't until the Saturday night when I spotted her on tv that I realised she was the receptionist on Casualty! All credit to her for not telling me she hadn't got a clue who I was!

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The sixth form college I worked at in the 1990s had a charity football match. Males had to wear dresses and I seem to remember that females wore male evening wear. In goals for us was forests Mark Crosley.  I was in defence and told to man mark Norman Wisdom. Unfortunately every time I went near him he fell to the ground, shouted "Mr Grimsdale!" at the ref who immediately pointed at the spot no matter where we were on the pitch, whereupon the members of a boy band took turns to slot the ball past Mr Crosley. After 20 minutes of this Mark Crosley was getting well gumped off and was screaming at me, "Don't go near fluffing Wisdom!" I didn't, but he still kept falling over and the ref kept giving penalties. Although Mark Crosley laughed about it afterwards I'm pretty sure no one enjoyed themselves as much as Norman Wisdom did that day.

53 minutes ago, dog said:

The sixth form college I worked at in the 1990s had a charity football match. Males had to wear dresses and I seem to remember that females wore male evening wear. In goals for us was forests Mark Crosley.  I was in defence and told to man mark Norman Wisdom. Unfortunately every time I went near him he fell to the ground, shouted "Mr Grimsdale!" at the ref who immediately pointed at the spot no matter where we were on the pitch, whereupon the members of a boy band took turns to slot the ball past Mr Crosley. After 20 minutes of this Mark Crosley was getting well gumped off and was screaming at me, "Don't go near fluffing Wisdom!" I didn't, but he still kept falling over and the ref kept giving penalties. Although Mark Crosley laughed about it afterwards I'm pretty sure no one enjoyed themselves as much as Norman Wisdom did that day.

After reading this forum I think I may know the real identity of Norman Wisdom. Was it Chris Martin by any chance? Some on here think he's a big girl that falls over all the time.

16 hours ago, coneheadjohn said:

Not really random as I met these through work,ones that stick out.

Roger Waters,because I didn't know who he was and I sat and had a brew and a chat with him oblivious.

Van Morrison,not a pleasant experience.

Sat and had a cup of tea with David Coverdale and Whitesnake,they weren't all drinking tea to be fair.Lovely guy, proper English gent.

Derby wise,everyone we have met has been fantastic with one exception and I won't mention any names.

The one I will mention is Michael Johnson...lovely guy,pleasure to meet him.

Are you working music industry mate? 

Got a nod and a wink from Franny Lee once when I saw him at Machester Airport. My nephew went to the same infant school as Gordon Hills son, Sammy ( in Macclesfield ) AND I beat Merlin in the piggy back race ( I was running on the gravel edge of the grass while he was wading through soggy muddy grass ;) but hey a win is a win )

1 hour ago, StockholmRam said:

Are you working music industry mate? 

Nothing glamorous mate I'm afraid.

I did security for 20 years and I had a job for a 2 or 3 weeks a year looking after a band whilst they toured,great job as I am into music but nothing special in any other way,just different and interesting.

Around 1990-1994 I worked in a Michelin Star Hotel in Baslow in school/university holidays etc & met a few celebs of the time:

Lee Chapman & Leslie Ash - they were nice & had a really fat little baby boy.

Dave Bassett

Trevor Francis

Sian Lloyd (ITV Weather girl) - a very nasty individual in person. Did the whole "Do you know who I am" thing.

Gail from Corrie

Took Jose Carreras's bags up to his room & got a £10 tip for my trouble. Not bad for 1990 & the best single tip I ever got.

.Once bumped into Tim Wanacott while he was doing some filming for Bargain Hunt. Very dapper, and the consumate gentleman. Charming fellow.

Also (for you oldies) met Julie Goodyear and her sister, and Eammon Andrews, during the filming of an episode of 'This is your life'

I once had the great pleasure to walk into a family xmas do....just six of us.....to find john o'hare and his mrs. He was very nice.

5 hours ago, Wolfie said:

Around 1990-1994 I worked in a Michelin Star Hotel in Baslow in school/university holidays etc & met a few celebs of the time:

Lee Chapman & Leslie Ash - they were nice & had a really fat little baby boy.

Dave Bassett

Trevor Francis

Sian Lloyd (ITV Weather girl) - a very nasty individual in person. Did the whole "Do you know who I am" thing.

Gail from Corrie

Took Jose Carreras's bags up to his room & got a £10 tip for my trouble. Not bad for 1990 & the best single tip I ever got.

You just reminded me in the late 1990's I was working in a pet retail warehouse and helped a woman buying a rabbit hutch.  I was oblivious to who she was but a couple of things stood out.  Firstly her slightly chubby son not being too bright but secondly I was convinced her boobs didn't seem to fit her frame and had been enhanced (something of a rarity back in the day).

It wasn't until she was paying that her husband came in from outside. I noticed he looked a lot like Lee Chapman.  This amused me for a good twenty seconds because while I'd been at Uni the groundsman used to greet me as Chapman.  It was only when I took a second look at him that the penny started to drop that it was Lee Chapman and I'd spent the last ten minutes considering the breasts of Leslie Ash.

Even more baffling in my lack of recognition was that Men Behaving Badly was massive at the time.

Archived