Chance encounters with famous people

Chester40

Not really random as I met these through work,ones that stick out.

Roger Waters,because I didn't know who he was and I sat and had a brew and a chat with him oblivious.

Van Morrison,not a pleasant experience.

Sat and had a cup of tea with David Coverdale and Whitesnake,they weren't all drinking tea to be fair.Lovely guy, proper English gent.

Derby wise,everyone we have met has been fantastic with one exception and I won't mention any names.

The one I will mention is Michael Johnson...lovely guy,pleasure to meet him.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Roger Waters,because I didn't know who he was and I sat and had a brew and a chat with him oblivious.

Sat and had a cup of tea with David Coverdale and Whitesnake,they weren't all drinking tea to be fair.Lovely guy, proper English gent.

Derby wise,everyone we have met has been fantastic with one exception and I won't mention any names.

What cracked of with van Morrison?

Maybe 20 years ago I was once playing snooker at the Conservative Club in Swadlincote when the door bell rang, being on the table nearest I opened the door and let in... Edwina Currie and her entourage.

'Good morning Egwina' I said in a kinda mumbled voice.  She looked at me unsure as to what I'd actually said- meanwhile my mate (who was just taking a mouthful of beer at the time) tried to cover up a laugh with a fake cough and ended up with beer dripping from his face and hair.

Probably one of those stories where you had to be there but its reminded me that for years afterwards we'd occasionally say Egwina to my mate as he was having a drink.  Wonder if he fancies a pint tonight... 

2 minutes ago, bigbadbob said:

What cracked of with van Morrison?

He always had 3 steaks cooked for his pre concert meal,he would pick 1 and chuck 2 away.

The one time I had the pleasure of his company the waitress fetched 1 steak and Van kicked off and made her cry,I could and should have clipped him.

14 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

He always had 3 steaks cooked for his pre concert meal,he would pick 1 and chuck 2 away.

The one time I had the pleasure of his company the waitress fetched 1 steak and Van kicked off and made her cry,I could and should have clipped him.

What a tool. You should have slapped him with the steak. Brings a whole new meaning to meat and greet. :thumbsup:

13 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

A friend of mine who lives in Rotherham was a drummer in 'Them' he told me vM is one of the most obnoxious people he ever encountered 

15 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

What a tool. You should have slapped him with the steak. Brings a whole new meaning to meat and greet. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately a key part of the job was discretion and I wasn't working for him,I was with another singer and they had warned me he was a bell end.

6 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Unfortunately a key part of the job was discretion and I wasn't working for him,I was with another singer and they had warned me he was a bell end.

He didn't disappoint then on the bell end score then. A lot of these celebrities lose their sense of reality. They seem to get caught up in the bubble surrounding them. I'm glad I'm skint and normal. Although I use the word normal loosely. 

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

Was it a current player or an ex player that wasn't?

On 19/08/2017 at 12:41, Wolfie20 said:

Stood at the same clubhouse bar as the late, great Seve Ballasteros. Got his autograph on one of the old £1 notes - seemed to be a lot shorter than I expected.

Sat next to Seve on a Iberian flight from Heathrow to Madrid just after he'd won a big tournament. He'd been swamped by Spanish school kids at the gate for autographs and pictures.

Asked him if he ever got a bit weary of that or was it just the price of fame; he explained it pleased him he made so many smiling kids happy; at least that's what genuinely came across at the time.

Always thought what a top bloke he was after that.

1 hour ago, coneheadjohn said:

Not my thing but I stood and watched him and he was brilliant as a performer.

I didn't even realise Brown Eyed Girl was him till he played it :pinch:

One of the most tedious gigs I ever went to. Insisted on playing his saxophone for long stretches. He must have thought he was Charlie Parker or something.

53 minutes ago, coneheadjohn said:

Not fair for me to say mate.

Fair enough, just met a few ex players and some have been good and others have been knobs. Only one of the current squad I have spoken to really is Craig Bryson and he was a top bloke.

I've never met anyone famous for beyond than 15 miles of Pride Park.

My missus has met loads, her 1st flat was below where they used to house young Forest lads, so Brian Clough would pop by occasionally to check they weren't too noisy and have a cuppa.

The firm she works at hold annual team building type days, each year a different celeb takes part and she sometimes looks after them.

Jimmy Carr and Rachael Riley were very professional, while Danny Dyer was Danny Dyer, even down to wanting his fee in cash!

Her favourite so far was Alex Zane, who enjoyed his day so much he came back the next year as a guest, then went out on the town with them.

The same firm used to sponsor a cup competition and through helping with hosting during the final she's met virtually all the Sky Sports pundits/presenters.

Kammy was great, got her loads of signed stuff for our lad, and even remembered her name the next year, a true gent.

PistoldPete2
9 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

He actually laughed??? Sure he wasn't just passing wind?

Yes although he might have been being polite. I guess he doesn't think Bob the builder to be the height of his career. 

Archived