Ramage talks sense

eddy779h34

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, eddy779h34 said:

Listening to Craig Ramage last night on RD

Saying we need to oust most of the dead wood in the squad , make them train on their own ,or pay  em off.

We need at least 4 more in to change the look of the team 

I fully agree 

Can't we get him in as a adviser to the board 

In our financial position, paying them off makes no sense. It's a long season and injuries are bound to happen and before you know it, those players will be needed. Unless these particular players are an extremely bad influence in and around the club, you just have to press on. If there are no takers, you try your best to utilise those players until an opportunity arises to move them on.

Again, isolating the players and making them train away from the first team would be counter productive if you are trying to build a tight-knit squad and a sense of togetherness at the club.

Both suggestions would do more harm than good in our position.

Why do we need four more players? Two would be plenty. Three would be indulgent. Four would be irresponsible. We need to get the best out of the existing group of players. For this level, it's a more than capable group.

It always makes me smile when I listen to criticisms of a manager or a team by ex players who are sat comfortably in a tv studio or behind a microphone.Gary Neville is a classic example of a decent player who just couldn't cut it as a manager despite his excellent analysis in the studio.Shearer's another but I'm not so sure about his assessments!?These well paid "experts" like Carragher,Henry,the two Nevilles,Ian Wright etc etc are a bit full of themselves at times and make the odd infantile and cringeworthy comment regarding what managers should do,safe in the knowledge that the programme "host" rarely takes them to task.Just love it the way Souness looks at the other pundits at times,not saying what he's really thinking! 

I like Craig Ramage,he seems a genuine fan but when I hear some supporters saying he should be manager or on the board as he's so passionate I want to shake them !?-they follow his every utterance as if it's the Gospel! I'm not saying his opinions aren't valid but they'd have a bit more credence if they were backed up with a bit of a managerial record.Unless you've sat in that dugout trying to get your team to perform ,your criticisms can sound a bit amateurish.All opinions count but it's very easy to moan about a job that you've not actually had the courage or wherewithal to do yourself.i

15 minutes ago, rcarso1 said:

It always makes me smile when I listen to criticisms of a manager or a team by ex players who are sat comfortably in a tv studio or behind a microphone.Gary Neville is a classic example of a decent player who just couldn't cut it as a manager despite his excellent analysis in the studio.Shearer's another but I'm not so sure about his assessments!?These well paid "experts" like Carragher,Henry,the two Nevilles,Ian Wright etc etc are a bit full of themselves at times and make the odd infantile and cringeworthy comment regarding what managers should do,safe in the knowledge that the programme "host" rarely takes them to task.Just love it the way Souness looks at the other pundits at times,not saying what he's really thinking! 

I like Craig Ramage,he seems a genuine fan but when I hear some supporters saying he should be manager or on the board as he's so passionate I want to shake them !?-they follow his every utterance as if it's the Gospel! I'm not saying his opinions aren't valid but they'd have a bit more credence if they were backed up with a bit of a managerial record.Unless you've sat in that dugout trying to get your team to perform ,your criticisms can sound a bit amateurish.All opinions count but it's very easy to moan about a job that you've not actually had the courage or wherewithal to do yourself.i

You forgot Savage from that list rcarso. Mind you're not the only one trying to forget him

I enjoy rampage and Owen commentary of the games ( some moan about them ) ,, a big part of what I enjoy with rampage is he speaks like a fan , yes he has a bit more insight having played at the level he has but all in all he over simplifies things the same way us fans are often inclined to do so for me the idea of making players train away from the first team squad or just paying off contracts is a knee jerk reaction to our situation and not really sensible when looked at properly ,,, these are decent players and to pay them off is daft given the amount it would cost compared to the back up they provide for injuries and form dips ,making them train away from the first team squad is even dafter ,,, yes we've got ourselves in a position of having too many players but we have to make the best use of them whilst they are at the club and to me that's having them ready to fill in if needed and creating competition for first team places until some are moved on or reach the end of contracts ,,, anything else is just compounding the wasteful spending that's created the situation we have at this time

7 minutes ago, archied said:

I enjoy rampage and Owen commentary of the games ( some moan about them ) ,, a big part of what I enjoy with rampage is he speaks like a fan , yes he has a bit more insight having played at the level he has but all in all he over simplifies things the same way us fans are often inclined to do so for me the idea of making players train away from the first team squad or just paying off contracts is a knee jerk reaction to our situation and not really sensible when looked at properly ,,, these are decent players and to pay them off is daft given the amount it would cost compared to the back up they provide for injuries and form dips ,making them train away from the first team squad is even dafter ,,, yes we've got ourselves in a position of having too many players but we have to make the best use of them whilst they are at the club and to me that's having them ready to fill in if needed and creating competition for first team places until some are moved on or reach the end of contracts ,,, anything else is just compounding the wasteful spending that's created the situation we have at this time

I've said regularly that, as an overseas Derby fan, Ramage is a superb connection to the club and fans for exactly that reason. The passion is definitely sincere, even if it carries him off with the pixies on occasion. There are other times when he says something really insightful....and you just have to nod....

18 minutes ago, archied said:

he over simplifies things the same way us fans are often inclined to do so 

I think he seems to simplify things because he's simple... I mean, he's not simplifying things - That's just the way he sees them

We all read far too much into things at times and he's just got a more straightforward way of looking at a situation - Sometimes it's insightful, sometimes it's tosh - But that's how all punditry is

i really enjoy the bbc radio derby broadcasts of the matches. The presenters seem like they get on well and compliment each other well. I suppose the hours spent at service station burger kings/costa coffees to/from away games creates good radio chemistry.

On 8/9/2017 at 13:58, eddy779h34 said:

Thing is He's right in saying ,with this current squad will be  just outside the play off's with what we have 

The concept of the team is still the same , less the flair of Hughes and Ince 

Weimann Bennett Russell Butterfield Hansen Johnson Anya Nugent Baird Olsen Shackell Blackman Bryson all need to be moved on 

Can we have a summer sale 

I wonder if we could put them up for Auction ,perhaps ebay 

Strangely enough hasnt GR been saying  all year that he needs to cut the size of the squad down

The fact I believe we need 4 or 5 players to complete the revamp of our squad means I agree with the first part of the statement.

However I think Ramage needs to tread carefully. I'm sure most of us have our own opinions but we don't need him inciting the idiots and putting more pressure on Rowett. If we release them how can we afford to replace them?

We were never going to be able to bring 7 or 8 players in this summer because we were unlikely to be able to move 10 out. If we manage to get 5 and become a top 6 team we've progressed well.

Then when we've maybe sold another in January we can add one more of the required quality, and next summer we can release a few players out of contract, possibly allowing us to add a couple more and complete the jigsaw. Even then you have to contemplate these players will cost appropriate fees, and if you release a couple of defenders you would have to find cover for them aswell as adding your new signings, and that's if others don't leave or get injured.

For me reality is progress this season, top 6 next season and promotion chasers the season after, to expect more or start moaning about lack of progress now is idiocy. 

13 hours ago, philmycock said:

You really think he had a say?

This period did untold damage to the club. Players were bought well over the odds, some of them not even on the manager's wish list (whoever was the manager at the time and it varied) and for a plan that no-one has a script for. Perhaps only a departed senior manager had a glimpse of that one.

I think in hindsight, Clement made an incredible job of holding this bunch together only for it to be scuppered for whatever reason we still do not truly understand. I just hope we now have the time to rectify this and I have faith in GR and hopefully he will have corrected some of the failings displayed at Sunderland, tomorrow.

Back to Ramage, I suspect he knows a lot more detail of these issues but cannot say.

I personally love his inimitable "call a spade a spade" style although he has trouble articulating certain points but then that's where Owen comes in, so he makes a perfect foil.

Archived