Linekers salary

PistoldPete2

I'm not thunderously self richeous or getting myself in a lather but I really do question where life went wrong? This pontificating prat who earns massive money for chatting s**t vs people who can't afford decent lives for themselves despite working damned hard. Something doesn't sit right.  

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I don't understand this post.  

I think it's right that the BBC should publish salaries of higher earners just as private companies do. And right that people should question the salaries that are paid. 

But who is Jezebel? Do you mean corbyn? Did the BBc support him, some said not at least Laura kuhnsberg didn't allegedly. Anyway what does that have to do with linekers salary? 

The point that Corbyn is wanting to cut back on excessive saleries will just about take away anyone who is remotely famous from the bbc. As for the bbc supporting labour well you only have to read the Web pages to get the feeling who they are supporting. 

As for Linekers wages I suppose if they didn't pay him they'd only waste it on some other crap like eastenders or bargain hunt.

Incredible amount of money for an incredibly simple job.

It's all recorded, so he's not even under pressure to get it right the first time unlike on live TV.

And he doesn't do any analysis. Just asks silly obvious questions like 'Do you think Arsenal still lack a solid defensive midfielder, Alan?'

Well done to him for getting himself into that position. He almost certainly earns similar amounts or more with commercial broadcasters such as BT. For me it is a laudable achievement - it just strikes me as pure jealousy for those complaining of the wages he earns. Vote with your feet if you don't like it - it will soon cause them to drop the wages of these people. You only need a tv licence for live TV and iplayer - there are plenty of other ways to entertain yourself.

52 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I'm not thunderously self richeous or getting myself in a lather but I really do question where life went wrong? This pontificating prat who earns massive money for chatting s**t vs people who can't afford decent lives for themselves despite working damned hard. Something doesn't sit right.  

Hard work means nothing if you don't work smart as well otherwise coal miners would be some of the richest people in the world. Gary Lineker has been very smart to get where he is, but I don't care what anyone says he has worked hard in both his football and broadcasting careers to get there.

Not especially bothered about Lineker's salary - it's a lot of money but he probably could get more elsewhere but then the Beeb probably could negotiate it downwards if he's that keen to stay working for them. He's still one of the better presenters which says more about the lack of talent at the BBC than anything else.  And its own self importance.

But Shearer's earnings for their sheer over rewarding of general incompetence; Nicky Campbell, Mayo, Evans, Steve Wright for being players of records/faux journalists smack of a management with little control any more.

The BBC as a news organisation has a proper and important place in the UK and the world. It gave up/got overtaken by others in the wider field of entertainment, sporting and otherwise,  where it was once (in my childhood) predominant. It should pay accordingly.

13 minutes ago, GenBr said:

Well done to him for getting himself into that position. He almost certainly earns similar amounts or more with commercial broadcasters such as BT. For me it is a laudable achievement - it just strikes me as pure jealousy for those complaining of the wages he earns. Vote with your feet if you don't like it - it will soon cause them to drop the wages of these people. You only need a tv licence for live TV and iplayer - there are plenty of other ways to entertain yourself.

Hard work means nothing if you don't work smart as well otherwise coal miners would be some of the richest people in the world. Gary Lineker has been very smart to get where he is, but I don't care what anyone says he has worked hard in both his football and broadcasting careers to get there.

He's never had a hard working day in his f*****g life, mate. That much is a fact.

18 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

I would like to think all of us should ask this question just once in a while. 

As a society our sense of worth  (ie what we are content to pay highly for) seems to have become terribly distorted towards rentiers over time.

This is just another depressing example. 

3 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

I couldn't care less what the BBC pays Gary Lineker. Or anybody else for that matter. 

This. 

Bear in mind the audiences they have to broadcast to and you get a sense why they've got so big. There's only a few that are really excessive in my opinion and when you consider the top ones, hosts of very successful flagship BBC programs and with the largest audiences, I see why it's like that. There's a lot of those names who are on sums comparable with the pay for a director of a small profitable business - and that won't involve hosting a show in front of millions of people.

The top few I really don't see the appeal, but the viewing and listening figures make it look like I'm in a minority.

What gets me is that the frothing at the mouth of some wanting salaries revealed will now have inflated pay over the next few years...... 

Snowflaking over nothing, couldn't give a monkeys who earns what. You can argue Lineker and co have stayed loyal.....

Lets not hear you moan about your sky/BT/Virgin subscriptions going up again eh.....

12 quid a month by direct debit, I hardly miss it.

One more thing about Lineker, folk calling him self righteous etc with his views. Doesn't exactly air them on behalf of BBC does he?

11 hours ago, Paul71 said:

But a lot of people do. As do a lot of people listen to Chris Evans. 

Restrict the pay and MOTD will be presented by Adrian Chiles and viewing figures will plummet.

I think Corbyns ratio policy works for non 'celebrity' employees but for those on screen it will always be treated differently.

MOTD can't afford Chiles...he left the BBC and reportedly trebled his salary! ?

While I do think that the money paid to some of these so called celebrities is quite obscene.

What I object to is when a broadcaster on the RADIO and yes I am going to use Sir Terry Wogan (god bless him) as an example.

A good few years ago I was listening to radio 2 only to find that Terry's programme was being broadcast from America. Wouldn't have been too bad if it was a televised programme, but radio? he might as well be broadcasting from my garden shed.

So you would have Terry, his production team, sound engineers etc etc all in hotels, travekl to and from and food. All paid for by the British Public.

Now that does annoy me

27 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

While I do think that the money paid to some of these so called celebrities is quite obscene.

What I object to is when a broadcaster on the RADIO and yes I am going to use Sir Terry Wogan (god bless him) as an example.

A good few years ago I was listening to radio 2 only to find that Terry's programme was being broadcast from America. Wouldn't have been too bad if it was a televised programme, but radio? he might as well be broadcasting from my garden shed.

So you would have Terry, his production team, sound engineers etc etc all in hotels, travekl to and from and food. All paid for by the British Public.

Now that does annoy me

Radio Derby used to send a team to cover Wimbledon EVERY YEAR! - almost as if the BBC didn't have any other broadcasters there - it was simply a jolly for the sports department - goodness knows how much they wasted on that over the years....

Thankfully they've now stopped the individual stations from sending reporters (though I'm sure I heard the annoying woman on the evening programme (who covers the East Mids) saying she was presenting from down there this year so still some waste....)

I think you can make an argument for the radio presenters to be paid a decent salary - like him or loathe him, Evans has made the Radio 2 breakfast show the most listened to programme on radio, so he's doing something right - swap him for (the also vastly overpaid) Vanessa Feltz and you'd see the listener numbers tumble. Where I have a huge issue with the salaries is the likes of Hugh Edwards - sits on his arse reading from an autocue (adding nothing to content at all) and gets nearly £500M a year - and also seems to get significantly more than women doing the same job. Noticed he hadn't got the balls to present the news last night - guess he was too embarrassed.....

Moving further down the list of high earners, I would love to know what the IT Programme Manager does on a day-to-day basis to justify a salary between 150-200k. Being in the IT industry, I will definitely be looking out for that job in the future, especially as Media City is literally half a mile down the road from where I am currently working.

If the BBC are daft enough to pay those salaries then good luck to the recipients.However with the choice now available and the not inconsiderable cost of Sky .Virgin etc I would quite happily not have any BBC channels and not be forced to pay a licence fee.

For non payment of the fee  to be a criminal offence and for the BBC to have little accountability is wrong. The fact it struggles in it's ability to be politically neutral in it's privileged position as the national broadcaster is a disgrace. 

Archived