Signed: Tom Lawrence - Undisclosed fee, long term contract

RamsFan10

2 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

Leicester could offer him a new contract. To some extent a deal may  depend on whether Mahrez leaves and whether Leicester feel they have enough squad depth without having to replace him or whether they will spend the transfer money on a replacement. Without offering a new contract I can only see that they will sell as a season's loan will see Lawrence out of contract and moving on a free contract.

The way Mahrez played for them for the majority of last year, recruiting a one-legged blind man would be an improvement....

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leicester's dilemma is do they sell Mahrez, who is long contract cheaply or hold out for their reported valuation of 40m + (which at present no one is meeting).

This is having a baring on if/when we get Lawrence.If does'nt sign a new contract their hand will be forced pretty soon as transfer deadline day approaches.

Another loan is out of question with out him signing a new long term contract, something which appears unlikely.

I think this deal is tied into the Iheanacho deal rather than anything to do with Mahrez - if Leicester do sell Mahrez there is no chance that they would have Lawrence as his replacement. They would use any money they go for Mahrez to go out and get his replacement.

Isn't Iheanacho a striker rather than a winger? I know he played wide sometimes for City but seems more likely to play in the 2 of the 4-4-2, which Shakespeare seems to favour. Lawrence would be a winger in their side, like Mahrez. 

(You can tell there's been a lull in the transfer window..) 

5 minutes ago, HAZ said:

Isn't Iheanacho a striker rather than a winger? I know he played wide sometimes for City but seems more likely to play in the 2 of the 4-4-2, which Shakespeare seems to favour. Lawrence would be a winger in their side, like Mahrez. 

(You can tell there's been a lull in the transfer window..) 

Yep proper out and out striker. 

Wouldn't have thought it would make any difference to a potential deal for Lawrence 

13 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

Unsure on how reliable them "rumour" posts are. I remember last week they had Alex Sandro @ 4.9 out of 5 to join Chelsea. They also posted one of John Terry to join Villa @ 3.5 out of 5... 2 days after he had signed! 

Sometimes deals can fall through very, very late on.

No rumour site will be in any way reliable but the algorithms they use on that place seem pretty well thought out. Essentially they rank all their sources by reliability and that weights the strength of the rumour.

14 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

Essentially they rank all their sources by reliability and that weights the strength of the rumour.

Is that right? I always wondered what it was, assumed it might be something to do with twitter so tend to ignore it! :lol:

13 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

Is that right? I always wondered what it was, assumed it might be something to do with twitter so tend to ignore it! :lol:

If you download the app it explains how they do it.

I've set up notifications so any Derby links get pushed to my phone.

7 minutes ago, Penelope Pendrex said:

If you download the app it explains how they do it.

I've set up notifications so any Derby links get pushed to my phone.

Done :ph34r:

Does say the index is based on what people are talking about, but surely that could just be fans on twitter?

Jota still at 3.2/5

I think we will need more than Lawrence (if he joins). In the absence of Ince we don't have a single other winger/wide player of the required standard to help push for promotion. They are either strikers being asked to play out of position or are not penetrative enough.

I'm not saying they are bad players. Merely that, from what I have seen of the Weimann, Blackmann, Anya and Russell, the best that can be said for them is that they are decent, and being decent doesn't get you promoted. To my mind we need genuine quality that carries a threat on both flanks. Even if Lawrence arrives it's only half the job. 

Personally, I also think we need to replace Hughes in the middle as none of our existing squad can replicate what he did for us. Butterfield often threatens genuine quality but it never seems to materialise consistently. Johnson and Bryson are willing runners and tacklers and every team needs players like them but they don't really provide much else, at least not anymore. Hanson is young and may improve but is not there yet. Huddlestone and Thorne are class at this level but it's likely (who knows) they will be shielding the back four and at the end of the day they can't do everything from that postion.

Not trying to sound pessimistic. I'd love Rowett and the team to prove me wrong. I think we will be solid at the back and hard for others to break down but we seem to have strengthened in defence at the expense of weakening ourselves further up the pitch. As I have said elsewhere, and I'm probably being a bit greedy with other peoples money, I think we need two quality wingers and another attacking/creative central midfielder. 

I'm sure things are in the pipeline but hope that Lawrence isn't the only iron in the fire (to mix a metaphor!) I just think, if we are looking to seriously challenge, the squad looks a bit 6/7 out of 10 at moment with what is currently available. 

1 minute ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

I think we will need more than Lawrence (if he joins). In the absence of Ince we don't have a single other winger/wide player of the required standard to help push for promotion. They are either strikers being asked to play out of position or are not penetrative enough.

I'm not saying they are bad players. Merely that, from what I have seen of the Weimann, Blackmann, Anya and Russell, the best that can be said for them is that they are decent, and being decent doesn't get you promoted. To my mind we need genuine quality that carries a threat on both flanks. Even if Lawrence arrives it's only half the job. 

Personally, I also think we need to replace Hughes in the middle as none of our existing squad can replicate what he did for us. Butterfield often threatens genuine quality but it never seems to materialise consistently. Johnson and Bryson are willing runners and tacklers and every team needs players like them but they don't really provide much else, at least not anymore. Hanson is young and may improve but is not there yet. Huddlestone and Thorne are class at this level but it's likely (who knows) they will be shielding the back four and at the end of the day they can't do everything from that postion.

Not trying to sound pessimistic. I'd love Rowett and the team to prove me wrong. I think we will be solid at the back and hard for others to break down but we seem to have strengthened in defence at the expense of weakening ourselves further up the pitch. As I have said elsewhere, and I'm probably being a bit greedy with other peoples money, I think we need two quality wingers and another attacking/creative central midfielder. 

I'm sure things are in the pipeline but hope that Lawrence isn't the only iron in the fire (to mix a metaphor!) I just think, if we are looking to seriously challenge, the squad looks a bit 6/7 out of 10 at moment with what is currently available. 

I agree 100% with this post. Well, 97%, I think Russell is an able winger at this level and only his poor finishing holds him back from being a key player. He's much better than our other options.

Lawrence, Toral and one other winger and I'm happy. I agree that we're an unfinished team in attack.

2 minutes ago, Gandalf's shin pads said:

This ,good post  we need more quality in mid field as well as TL if we get him .

2 hours ago, Gaspode said:

The way Mahrez played for them for the majority of last year, recruiting a one-legged blind man would be an improvement....

This is a massive misconception, in comparison to 2015/16 he may have played like a one-legged blind man but if you don't hold him to that ridiculously high standard then he didn't do too badly. 

He's always going to get more s**** from fans because of a perceived lack of effort, that's often the case with flair players in England. To be honest it's not like he doesn't ever try to defend it is just that he can't tackle to save his life. He was the most dribbled past player in the Prem last season, but I would still do anything for us to keep him if we can get him back anywhere near his best. He's magic when he wants to be.

Archived