Darren Bent

DCFC1388

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a common enough clause in players contracts..........nothing unusual.       Club can use it to manipulate an exit if they so wish !!

His goals apart Bent works hard up front to occupy the defence and draw them away leaving space for someone else to use. When Ince had Baird putting through balls for him and Bent creating space for him he was in his element.

ince and bent did well together last season it was letting martin go that really cost us due to lack of goals scored.but that was when they were given more of a free run at the end.pearson held them back and the squad lost confidence.now martins back i can see him and newgent bang in a few.bend as been a good servant and waited his time like a pro.hopefully he gets a move a regular football.plus the wage bill will drop and allow gr wanted additions.last chance for us to get a small fee and wish bent the best

If we can get money for Bent l would sell. If we can move him on for a free l would transact. If we could get someone to take him on loan for 12 months and we subsidise in small part his wages l would transact. Don't dislike Bent, although he isn't my kind of player in truth. I don't dismiss lightly either that he is a good finisher.  I just feel that he will not be what we need this coming season. I like the idea of having a forward three working for each other, which l am not sure we have seen for a few years.

58 minutes ago, t'oldu said:

It's a common enough clause in players contracts..........nothing unusual.       Club can use it to manipulate an exit if they so wish !!

His goals apart Bent works hard up front to occupy the defence and draw them away leaving space for someone else to use. When Ince had Baird putting through balls for him and Bent creating space for him he was in his element.

He hides behind defenders, he often stands between full back and centre backnon the opposite flank of the pitch to where the ball is, prime example is his goal against Cardiff, I know it is a strange thing to say as he scored but as a lone striker he shouldn't have been there, it was terrible positioning (yes I know he scored because of it but that was more down to a poor shot from Ince).

Darren Bent one of the worst DCFC signings?

Jesus fecking wept.

His goal scoring record ain't half bad for one of the worst signings we have ever made. And the quality of some of his goals, Wolves and West Brom this year.

we should play a game, name a worse signing than Bent, I'll start, Mikkel Beck...we could be here all night 

so people on here telling someone who's scored loads of goals at the top level where to stand!!! 

He's done it all of his career, he appears to not be interested and out of sight and then has an uncanny knack of appearing as if by magic like  mr benn  and scoring. Hes never been a target man, hes a goal poacher, nothing more but theres plenty of defenders to vouch for the fact he knows where the net is, Kevin Phillips was much the same....

I used to hate the goal hangers at school but sometimes they serve a purpose.....:thumbsup:

Darren Bent has done what was asked of him, he was a short term signing who has contributed and it was time for him to move on at the end of last season, if he moves on then good luck to him, if we get a transfer fee then that would be a surprise 

37 minutes ago, t'oldu said:

Thats Bent the poacher.........hide behind someone's shoulder and they forget you so you can pounce when the ball comes.across

That's what poachers do.  

Not when the ball is with our cb on the edge of box though.

53 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

we should play a game, name a worse signing than Bent, I'll start, Mikkel Beck...we could be here all night 

Claude Davis.

You could probably have a full 24 team league, with 25 player squads from signings worse than Darren Bent. 

48 minutes ago, Saity said:

so people on here telling someone who's scored loads of goals at the top level where to stand!!! 

He's done it all of his career, he appears to not be interested and out of sight and then has an uncanny knack of appearing as if by magic like  mr benn  and scoring. Hes never been a target man, hes a goal poacher, nothing more but theres plenty of defenders to vouch for the fact he knows where the net is, Kevin Phillips was much the same....

I used to hate the goal hangers at school but sometimes they serve a purpose.....:thumbsup:

My point was being a lone striker (the key factor of what I am saying), in a team that likes to pass it around, you can't stand behind defenders when your team mates are looking to pass to you and get up and support you. It is a team game, and the players need to perform tasks that may not be natural to them for the benefit of the team. Bent didn't do that often enough. Bent has had a great career, no doubt about it, but you can't say that he has performed great here, and the teams performances when he has been played as a lone striker have not been good enough.

Also are you suggesting that players can't be criticised by fans or suggestions made on how they could improve their game because we haven't played at their level? ?

28 minutes ago, Albert said:

Claude Davis.

You could probably have a full 24 team league, with 25 player squads from signings worse than Darren Bent. 

I set up a thread of worse players than Nick Blackman

So check there for any number of suggestions

28 minutes ago, rynny said:

My point was being a lone striker (the key factor of what I am saying), in a team that likes to pass it around, you can't stand behind defenders when your team mates are looking to pass to you and get up and support you. It is a team game, and the players need to perform tasks that may not be natural to them for the benefit of the team. Bent didn't do that often enough. Bent has had a great career, no doubt about it, but you can't say that he has performed great here, and the teams performances when he has been played as a lone striker have not been good enough.

Also are you suggesting that players can't be criticised by fans or suggestions made on how they could improve their game because we haven't played at their level? ?

No but to criticise his positioning on a pitch  if he ends up scoring to me is a non starter.

His positioning must've been  purelyinstinct/ spot on and thats virtually impossible to teach.

Why would you want Bent playing a hold up role when it doesn't suit him therfore probably taking away why we signed him...to score goals.

When any team was interested in signing Bent i bet the first thing that sprang to mind was, he'll get goals....well he does that, so basically does what hes always done and thats know where the net is....we was never going to bring him in and try to mould him into anything else and you need different types of  strikers.

in my view and its only my view i think he's done what was expected of him as what else was we expecting of him ??

Sith Happens

Bent isnt even the worst signing we currently have on the books nevermind one of the worst ever.

6 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

To suggest Bent and Ince are to blame shows complete ignorance. The following season, key injuries and dips in form (most notably Grant, Hughes and Keogh in the run in) ruined our season.

There's that word again, blame.

Every defence of Ince & Bent comes with an accusation that someone blaming them for this, that or the other. It's a defence which tries to make the person arguing against their inclusion seem irrational, like they've got a personal vendetta.

Nobody is (or at most very, very few people are) BLAMING Ince and Bent for being the type of player they are. They're blaming the fact that when these players were signed it was clear that they weren't the right fit to help us carry on a certain style. They're blaming the way the team has been developed since that point, bad decision after bad decision after bad decision.

They're frustrated that we've slowly drifted towards being the sort of team we've become by making these players key to our performance.

They're frustrated because they feel that they could see this situation coming a mile off and that the stock response, ever since the end of 2014/15, to posts they've made saying we'd be better off not going down that route has been "but they've scored goals, you can't criticise them, stop blaming them for doing their jobs!" , even when they were doing no such thing (the posters, not the players)

Archived