Are we desperate for cash?

RamBamFan

I'm getting slightly worried that the club might be struggling for cash. And when I say this, I don't mean Mel's millions, I think we're more than fine in that department. I mean with FFP.

Our star players seem to be available when before it felt like only silly money would prize them away. Possibly because other clubs know of our situation? It would explain why Hughes went for less than many of us were expecting. 

It's also important to point out that the only player we've signed so far was £500k. The multi-million-pound Wisdom deal is STILL on hold and has been for nearly a fortnight now. Maybe waiting for another player to go out the door to free up funds?

It's no secret that our squad is bulging with players on huge wages, many of whom we're struggling to shift. Camara is the only one to have gone via mutual contract termination, some might say another sign of desperation to ease the wage bill.

I might be getting worried about nothing here. Is there anyone out there who will comfort a poor soul?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, your worrying about nothing. 

The only way to raise funds to shape the squad as rowett wants is to sell players we can get a decent chunk of cash for. As always that's the better players in a team.

personally I think we could have signed wisdom and Davies and not needed to buy anyone else to gain promotion. 

Time will tell,but out of all the players that should be gone, Ince,Keogh and Hughes should be at the bottom of the list unless exeptional offers were made.

GR doing it his way and has my support but to lose all three in one window,bringing in 30 + year olds doesnt look like building a team for the future.

NP would have been crucified for even mentioning this. Just hope we do all right this season cos Mel could be  crushed by 30.000 fans fighting their way in to the dressing room before he does?

7 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

Wisdom stuff was just waiting for bit of paperwork and should be done before Sunday though. 

That's my point though, apparently Keogh is leaving tomorrow (according to another poster on Keogh topic). Could we have delayed the transfer until the weekend so we can ensure the money is available?

The financial year ends of 30th June I believe, so the Wisdom delay could possibly be to carry those fees over in to the next financial year. If it's announced tomorrow then obviously I'm wrong, but I have thought for a little while that we are holding off the deal to reduce our losses. Would also make sense as to why we were seemingly so keen to get the money in for Hughes.

Just speculation but could point to FFP in some form.

20 minutes ago, RamBamFan said:

That's my point though, apparently Keogh is leaving tomorrow (according to another poster on Keogh topic). Could we have delayed the transfer until the weekend so we can ensure the money is available?

I'd be amazed if that was the reason. 

I'm fairly sure we have more than enough cash in the bank to function day to day, and FFP considerations are a consideration only in the long run, not a day to day thing.

I would say there is definitely cause to be alarmed. The Hughes fee in itself proves as much. 

It's quite funny how all you see in the press is how young English players are vastly overvalued in today's market. Hughes was unanimously seen as a bargain. I even saw one outlet liken it to a 'free transfer' due to the value for money in market. 

When you've got the footballing collective mocking you, which has happened a lot recently, it should set off triggers. 

We had no reason to rush through the sale of Hughes, nor cancel Camara's contract. We're definitely in requirement of cash flow, so we're a soft touch at the moment. I just hope Rowett gets his decisions right and we're a better team for it. I guess if he doesn't he'll be sacked before Christmas and we'll start again. 

Surely it makes sense to get rid of players before bringing more in?

I guess GR wanted business done as early as possible so he can get his own players in. 

FFP is undoubtedly a concern.

Also MM is not an endless pot of money, he may be worth £500m or whatever but very much doubt this is all in the form of readily accessible cash.

28 minutes ago, Kernow said:

The financial year ends of 30th June I believe, so the Wisdom delay could possibly be to carry those fees over in to the next financial year. If it's announced tomorrow then obviously I'm wrong, but I have thought for a little while that we are holding off the deal to reduce our losses. Would also make sense as to why we were seemingly so keen to get the money in for Hughes.

Just speculation but could point to FFP in some form.

So you're telling me that we've delayed a multi-million-pound transfer for a fortnight to coincidentally go through a day or two after the FFP year ends? It sounds like I'm not going as mad as I thought...

As you say, it does seem like we were keen to get the money in for Hughes. Potentially Keogh too if he does leave tomorrow.

I personally dont think there is anything serious to worry about, naturally we have to manage/watch what we spend as no club can be run where the outgoings massively outweigh the incomings. We have always been within FFP and I believe we will easily be within this year too.

I feel the sales are more about the number of players out the door more than the money they generate although that obviously helps in regards to funding incomings. Rowett himself said you cant cherry pick the players who leave as its all down to interest in them and he also said all players are for sale at the right price. If rowett could have got rid of 8 players for 19m rather than say ince hughes keogh for 19m then I think he would have prefered that as that would help the squad balance.

This summer for me is more about squad balance rather than our bank balance.

Not sure that we're desperate for cash but I think spending will be more much focussed under this new regime and GR will likely be expected to shift out players before he brings too many new faces in. It would seem offers have not been thick on the ground, even for Will, so the sale of Hughes and the apparent willingness to do business on Ince are most likely more about freeing up resource the only way he can, than GR wanting rid, or thinking the players won't fit his plans. The profligate spending era is over I sense, so we'll need to be smarter recruiters from now on. Not sure this is a bad thing really.

12 minutes ago, RamBamFan said:

So you're telling me that we've delayed a multi-million-pound transfer for a fortnight to coincidentally go through a day or two after the FFP year ends? It sounds like I'm not going as mad as I thought...

As you say, it does seem like we were keen to get the money in for Hughes. Potentially Keogh too if he does leave tomorrow.

Well at first, the thought hadn't entered my mind. But if we needed the deal done, we could've got it done. We could've arranged a medical abroad or got Andre back. Now the medical has been 'done' but we're still waiting on paperwork. If that goes through on the 1st of July, I'd suggest it is to do with the new financial year. If it's announced tomorrow, then we've probably just been slow on actually getting the deal officially signed.

The Hendrick and Hughes fees wipe out any money we spent in last season's window, so we shouldn't really be at a loss there. Then if you take potential departures from 1st July onwards, we're possibly looking at Keogh and Ince. It's very unlikely we're going to outspend the fees we get for those two. I'm just looking at the timings of the deals and thinking we're looking to make these two summers as a technical profit transfer wise, but it's only speculation from me.

It's almost like there were no warning signings as to what would happen this summer.

How was Rowett supposed to reduce the squad without selling players?

Because we haven't signed a multi million pound player yet we're skint, yet for the last couple of seasons one of the biggest complaints was spending multi millions on players.

We were never immune from FFP, it applies to every single club in this league. 

Maybe it's just me that's enjoying this sensible summer for a change.

Looks like a fire sale ,hopefully might stop other clubs shafting us for fee's and re calibrate asking prices when Derby are involved.

Shame we are selling the best though and we are still stuck with the deadwood ,bound to happen though you can only sell what folk want to buy. 

Looks like we're allowing 2 players who have offers in the Premier League to leave and released one that would struggle to get a place on the bench for the Dog and Duck.

If any player at Derby wants to leave thinking they can better themselves, wish them luck and show them the door. I don't want any players sulking around having moves blocked. I want 100% commitment from players pulling on the shirt, I would take an average Champ player busting his balls than a Charlie giving it 50%.

Sensible summer.

Whilst we might not agree with fees and from the outside look anything but sensible for Hughes and possibly Ince, if it's a one club battle for the signature and a player that wants out you will struggle to get top whack.

Archived