I was hoping a few more would have gone by now

JG400

1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

9 goals in 65 games since he's been here. He's one that can't get worse stats wise so at least rowett can claim he's made him better!

Hughes had about 12 in how many games? 180 or something? 

I'm bored on this topic now. I really rate the lad. I believe he and Johnson have had an undeserved rough ride here and so I defend them. Because I think I'm fair. To all. 

There are six players I'd move out if I was in charge. Anya, Bent, Olsson, Blackman, Pearce and Shackell. But I think people would be struggling to find threads where I've given them any real grief. It's not my style. I am probably too happy to clap. 

FWIW, I don't rate Anya. Bent, Shackell and Blackman are on huge salaries disproportionate to their worth and contribution, especially moving forward. Pearce is okay back up. Olsson too, but with Forsyth back I would see him as blocking Lowe's development. 

So I can be critical. But I think it's fair, or at least reasoned. I'm not resorting to "get rid of X Player he's useless."

I believe GR thinks along the same lines as I'm doing. He wasn't my choice for manager as I worried he was a watered down version of Pearson. Someone who focused on a player's graft rather than their gifts. I saw him as perfect for a team on a budget. The underdog spirit. I wasn't sure (still not) that's what we needed here. But despite rating a lot of our players, more than most fans it seems, I have grown tired of seeing other sides bully and play through us. And I am a huge advocate for managers getting actual time to implement their plans. 

So I'm behind GR and whatever he has in store for us. 

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ninos said:

Wherever he plays we go into slow motion.

There are quite a few players who paralyse our team with their impotent play. Butterfield, Bent are two primary culprits, and other better players chip in here and there, but if we keep running out those two donkeys we will languish forever. Replace with inspiration please. He's far from fan favourite is he, we groan when he regularly plays back and sideways just as we groan when Bent gets caught offside.  We need to chop the squad but we have a problem with these two because no one in their right mind would take them from us. We are saddled.

Butterfield is played out of position (not deep enough) and with not enough consistency to Establish himself. I guess we'll have to disagree on that one. With you on Bent however. Too old, too slow and too predictable. 

We've only two major saleable assets - Hughes and Ince. One's gone and the other's very likely to go. The rest have either been over paid for, or are on unrealistic wages for sideways or lesser teams to take them on. That's the reality of our squad at the moment.
At least GR seems to be (thus far) spending our money wisely. It's going to take 2-3 years and taking huge hits or paying off contracts to change this situation. That's been a familiar tale of woe for many relegated Premiership teams or top-paying ambitious Championship teams for many years. More slip deeper than recover...

16 hours ago, wakeyram said:

Sorry if this has been posted already but the Huddersfield fans i play cricket with say they've offered 10 million for Ince.

You play with some seriously wealthy cricketers :D

At this point in time no other championship club is really spending any major money so we are very unlikely to be actually selling anybody other than Christie and Ince who are seemingly leaving. Sunderland at some point will be looking to get a manager and some new players, Hull city look to have an arrangement taking place to borrow a lot of players from Chelsea ( manager a big friend with Chelsea owner) and Middlesbrough look to have a decent amount of players and don't need a great deal so moving players on who are on money above their quality will be very difficult 

On 25/06/2017 at 16:25, Warren Hobhead said:

Butters, Thorne and Johnson were fine in 2015/16. All scored goals, we were solid defensively, Butters was able to go and do his thing and link with Martin. 

Carson

Wisdom     Keogh   Davies    Forsyth

Thorne

Butterfield      Johnson

Ince                                           Russell

Martin

That is a better side than last seasons.

If Thorne and Forsyth are fit and Ince sold I would be expecting to be seeing this kind of line up with what we have

Carson

wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth 

Russell Thorne Johnson wieman 

Nugent Martin 

i think that is a very good side offensively and defensively with a subs bench with Bryson Butterfield Vydra Anya plus others to fill in and change as needed

In GR interview on 25th June, he makes the comment that the current squad is to big and its size is detrimental to the team spirit, he also reveals that he hopes 3-4 more players will go , that makes a total of 6 max , we have bought 2 in so far , so in order to reduce the squad I can see only 1 or 2 more signings at max, based on rumor  I would say an experienced CM + a winger who can play on either side

I only read the title of the post and the first sentence.... my reply is, do you really think its that easy to off load players? its not an over night deal. Some players wont have any interest in them, some will want to wait for the best deal, as will the club and agent, some players that we want to get rid of probably wont leave for whatever reason. One word, patience

On 27/06/2017 at 08:27, Sparkle said:

If Thorne and Forsyth are fit and Ince sold I would be expecting to be seeing this kind of line up with what we have

Carson

wisdom Keogh Davies Forsyth 

Russell Thorne Johnson wieman 

Nugent Martin 

i think that is a very good side offensively and defensively with a subs bench with Bryson Butterfield Vydra Anya plus others to fill in and change as needed

Again,butters is another who will benefit from Martin being back again

Can see a few being shipped out in the next week even if its just on loan to reduce the squad size... Roos Hanson Rawson Lowe/Olsson Christie Elsnik Guy Weimann Blackman Bennett Vernam and Bent are all unlikely to make the 1st team or bench if everyone is fully fit.

32 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Yes we can.  If a club was to make an offer I'd gladly give him a piggy back all the way there...

That would leave only George capable of getting his foot on the ball and controlling a game.

54 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Yes we can.  If a club was to make an offer I'd gladly give him a piggy back all the way there...

22 minutes ago, cannable said:

That would leave only George capable of getting his foot on the ball and controlling a game.

Interesting thought as I would have said we should get rid given a decent offer BUT assuming we bring in some backup for Thorne it's likely to be a more 'limited' DM - A Eustace 2.0 - In which case you need someone else next to him to distribute the ball - Pick up from defence and link into attack - Hughes did that back in the day when we had Eustace

Arguably Bryson is capable of doing it - But you lose too much of his attacking game if you ask him to stay back and essentially be the ' attacking brain' for a defensive minded DM

11 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

Butterfield can only control a game if all his team mates are stood to the side or behind him...

Or if he's got a bulldozer of a defensive midfielder next to him. (A proper one that is, not an impersonator)

3 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Or if he's got a bulldozer of a defensive midfielder next to him. (A proper one that is, not an impersonator)

If GR wants to play quick counter attacking football his main ball player shouldn't be taking 5 touches before releasing the ball...

The recruitment of the 15/16 season is really coming back to bite us now!! All the players on massive wages we want to shift, no one is interested, teams only want the good players we want to keep!

If only Rowett had a magic wand, bet he wishes he did! This is why while we should aim for top 6 and promotion, it is far far from guaranteed or certain. Rowett has a tough job here, probably the toughest of his career so far.

8 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

The recruitment of the 15/16 season is really coming back to bite us now!! All the players on massive wages we want to shift, no one is interested, teams only want the good players we want to keep!

If only Rowett had a magic wand, bet he wishes he did! This is why while we should aim for top 6 and promotion, it is far far from guaranteed or certain. Rowett has a tough job here, probably the toughest of his career so far.

Who's to blame for our terrible recruitment over the past few seasons? Evans, Rush, Morris? Feel like they've all played a part but can't decide who's most to blame. I'd say Evans if anyone.

1 hour ago, RamBamFan said:

Who's to blame for our terrible recruitment over the past few seasons? Evans, Rush, Morris? Feel like they've all played a part but can't decide who's most to blame. I'd say Evans if anyone.

The worst thing we did was panic buy Butterfield & Johnson to cover Hughes & Bryson's injuries.  If Evans was actually as good as he was made out to be we would've gotten in a couple of capable loan signings we could've sent home at the end of the season.  Instead we went mental and spunked a combined £40k a week in wages & £10m on fees on two players, that have only been (in Johnson's case) semi successful...  In hindsite, it's crippled us

Archived