I was hoping a few more would have gone by now

JG400

I am a bit disappointed to be honest with the clear out so far , I hoped perhaps 5 or 6 more would have gone by now , don't really care who (first team squad members of course )  I just wanted to see a real clear out to start a fresh, it feels like by the time of the Kaiserslautern game we may see the same old faces taking to the pitch

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Edinburgh ram said:

Agree fully. Obviously there can't be too much interest at the moment. 

Hopefully maybe soon we'll see the likes of Christie, Pearce, a couple of attacking players maybe and I would like to see butterfield go 

Can't be letting Butters go as well as Hughes!

Just now, Boycie said:

Well the friendly games are the whole squad mixed up over two games the same day aren't they?

At least it'll give the under21's a chance to play with some older players to show what they can offer.

You don't half get things muddled up, on the 18th July we play Port Vale and Doncaster at the same time, both games will feature a mixture of U21's and first team players. How the other friendlies will go no idea. The way Rowett talks about liking his teams to hit the ground running says to me there won't be many experiments. Could be wrong mind you, has been known.

5 minutes ago, David said:

You don't half get things muddled up, on the 18th July we play Port Vale and Doncaster at the same time, both games will feature a mixture of U21's and first team players. How the other friendlies will go no idea. The way Rowett talks about liking his teams to hit the ground running says to me there won't be many experiments. Could be wrong mind you, has been known.

That's what I said init?

Del Boy will know.

18 minutes ago, Edinburgh ram said:

Agree fully. Obviously there can't be too much interest at the moment. 

Hopefully maybe soon we'll see the likes of Christie, Pearce, a couple of attacking players maybe and I would like to see butterfield go 

Can't see Butterfield going. I think he will be very influential this year, particularly as l expect we will have a good CDM behind him ( hope it is Whelan personally, and let Thorne inch himself back).  Not sure why everyone is so down, although l guess when it comes to thinking of the 2013/14 campaign my only thought is where did those last 3 years go.

51 minutes ago, JG400 said:

I am a bit disappointed to be honest with the clear out so far , I hoped perhaps 5 or 6 more would have gone by now , don't really care who (first team squad members of course )  I just wanted to see a real clear out to start a fresh, it feels like by the time of the Kaiserslautern game we may see the same old faces taking to the pitch

Reality is, if the phones not ringing, it's not ringing....

27 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Can't see Butterfield going. I think he will be very influential this year, particularly as l expect we will have a good CDM behind him ( hope it is Whelan personally, and let Thorne inch himself back).  Not sure why everyone is so down, although l guess when it comes to thinking of the 2013/14 campaign my only thought is where did those last 3 years go.

My only worry of Thorne is Butters is will they get in each other's way or will one have to play within themselves to let the other flourish?

Fittness could potentially be an issue as well.

I dont think it will be long until Keogh Christie and Ince are gone, then the likes of Blackman Weimann Pearce and Shackell may go if there are any interested teams. I wouldnt be shocked to see Bent have his contract cancelled like Camara's.

We can only move players on if teams are interested, I dont think its down to us holding back on deals.

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

My only worry of Thorne is Butters is will they get in each other's way or will one have to play within themselves to let the other flourish?

Fittness could potentially be an issue as well.

Butters, Thorne and Johnson were fine in 2015/16. All scored goals, we were solid defensively, Butters was able to go and do his thing and link with Martin. 

Carson

Wisdom     Keogh   Davies    Forsyth

Thorne

Butterfield      Johnson

Ince                                           Russell

Martin

That is a better side than last seasons.

3 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Butters, Thorne and Johnson were fine in 2015/16. All scored goals, we were solid defensively, Butters was able to go and do his thing and link with Martin. 

Carson

Thorne

Butterfield      Johnson

Martin

I'd argue that Butters is better in the controlling role and with another two doing his tackling for him.

I still think the 15/16 Butters was limited. Who knows, it was BJ and George rotating back then when I probably should have been Butters and George.

10 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Carson

Thorne

Butterfield      Johnson

Martin

Eh ? And no Nugent ? Best quality live wire we have had in a long while 

22 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

Carson

Thorne

Butterfield      Johnson

Martin

Looking at that, we are lacking a centre mid option and a starting left wing

36 minutes ago, cannable said:

I'd argue that Butters is better in the controlling role and with another two doing his tackling for him.

I still think the 15/16 Butters was limited. Who knows, it was BJ and George rotating back then when I probably should have been Butters and George.

I like him further forward with license to link with the forwards and get his shots off. But you're right probably that his better days last season were deeper. The way he changed that Bristol game for example was something else. Just by getting on the ball and getting us playing. Against Wolves too he bossed it from deep. But he's poor defensively. He can get stuck in but he's hardly a tackler and in the air I reckon a dwarf would beat him. 

Thorne has to be the one sitting in, surely? Let Butters and Johnson bomb on. Bryson is in the mix too of course. Despite the Hughes hoo-ha, we do have four very good options in there. I think we will see one more added, Whelan perhaps? Then you've the youngsters. 

I might be wrong, maybe Butters is one of the others that GR might want to shift on. But I doubt it. I reckon he rates him. 

39 minutes ago, jono said:

Eh ? And no Nugent ? Best quality live wire we have had in a long while 

I like Nugent but who do you drop for him? You could move Johnson alongside Thorne perhaps and have Nuge in the hole. But as much as I like him, he's never starting ahead of Martin in my team. 

29 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

Looking at that, we are lacking a centre mid option and a starting left wing

Bryson and one more (Whelan?). 

And I agree on the wings. I'd like one for either flank. I don't rate Anya. I know we were beaten to Watkins who chose Norwich. He'd have been ideal. Big, strong winger with pace.

14 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I like Nugent but who do you drop for him? You could move Johnson alongside Thorne perhaps and have Nuge in the hole. But as much as I like him, he's never starting ahead of Martin in my team. 

I agree that Martin is the perfect fulcrum but I think we need a 4231 Someone behind Martin with intent and drive. Nugent or Vydra might just what we need. Martin will reintroduce genuine holdup play. We don't have a pair of running midfielders al la Bryson (ok he is still there but not the same IMO) and  Hendrick. He needs intent close to him.

47 minutes ago, jono said:

I agree that Martin is the perfect fulcrum but I think we need a 4231 Someone behind Martin with intent and drive. Nugent or Vydra might just what we need. Martin will reintroduce genuine holdup play. We don't have a pair of running midfielders al la Bryson (ok he is still there but not the same IMO) and  Hendrick. He needs intent close to him.

It will be horses for courses as GR suggested earlier. He wants players who can adapt and play in multiple positions. Fingers crossed he gets what he needs in this window.

Archived