Rowett has to try something different after years of failure

Curtains

29 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We really aren't though are we? Since when was £8m cheap for a championship player?

I guess when the player in question has captained England U/21s, is highly rated by the current England manager and is widely considered to be one of the best midfielders outside the Premier League. 

I'd prefer to keep him and forego the 8 million rather than end up with yet another  thirtysomething who isn't fit to lace his boots. 

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Jayram said:

I guess when the player in question has captained England U/21s, is highly rated by the current England manager and is widely considered to be one of the best midfielders outside the Premier League. 

I'd prefer to keep him and forego the 8 million rather than end up with yet another  thirtysomething who isn't fit to lace his boots. 

The top 2 points I hadn't really considered. 

These days he can't get in the u21s,  a sign that he hasn't progressed maybe?

Who considers him one of the best midfielders outside of the Premier League? I guess we will find out as sure my they will want to hijack the move if he's going on the cheap?

I remember people saying the same sort of thing about Robin Van Der Laan (although he was not quite 30 when he joined us).

55 minutes ago, Jayram said:

No, no idea. I just know he's our best midfielder by a mile and we are looking to flog him cheap while we retain absolute chod like Butterfield and Johnson on the books. 

I was with you up to the comment about Butterfield and Johnson when you totally lost it. They are both good players in this division - maybe not ideally suited to what we need but good players none the less.

Following on from what Jimmy Smith did with the 94/95 crop he inherited 

Get out the fan favorites, the players who haven't progressed, the underachievers, the high earners...

From the sales of Paul Williams and Craig Short alone we got in players such as Powell, Van Der Laan, Rowett, Flynn, Willems. Later bringing in Igor to finish the puzzle.

Hell, even Billy had this approach with the popular figures of Idiakez and Smith leaving in the space of 24 hours.

I Have 100% trust in GR, he seems a clever guy and knows what he's doing - must do, to have got Davies for a mere 500,000 signed within a day of the story breaking.

2 minutes ago, McLovin said:

SDSR confirmed on the other thread that Hughes is the joint highest earner in our squad as a result of the new contract 

How is SDSR in a position to be confirming what Derby players are earning?!?!

Would agree though that his new contract did put him amongst the highest earners.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How is SDSR in a position to be confirming what Derby players are earning?!?!

Would agree though that his new contract did put him amongst the highest earners.

He would have been told by his source. These things get out, all it takes is one person to spill the beans. I've found out many things that later were found out to be true and I'm not an ITK like he is. People don't give two hoots to confidentiality clauses anymore.

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

How many things were you told that you later found out to not be true?

Don't know but his source has no reason to lie. SDSR is usually pretty informed from what I've seen of him on this forum and the old Derby Mad forum.

7 minutes ago, McLovin said:

He would have been told by his source. These things get out, all it takes is one person to spill the beans. I've found out many things that later were found out to be true and I'm not an ITK like he is. People don't give two hoots to confidentiality clauses anymore.

There's a big difference between hearing that someone might be signing for us and knowing the finer details of all of our players contracts! 

Just now, McLovin said:

Don't know but his source has no reason to lie. SDSR is usually pretty informed from what I've seen of him on this forum and the old Derby Mad forum.

Yeah, but it's like monkey's with typewriters!

No surprise if Will is getting a large wodge of cash, he's Prem class! Wonder where Ince is on the wages list?

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

The top 2 points I hadn't really considered. 

These days he can't get in the u21s,  a sign that he hasn't progressed maybe?

Who considers him one of the best midfielders outside of the Premier League? I guess we will find out as sure my they will want to hijack the move if he's going on the cheap?

I remember people saying the same sort of thing about Robin Van Der Laan (although he was not quite 30 when he joined us).

He captained the side 3 months ago, so don't think it can be said he hasn't progressed.

I'm not getting into a pissing competition with you about this, but how can you be so nonchalant about losing Hughes? He's the best player at the club by a mile.

If Hughes and Ince go, they will not be replaced like-for-like; we simply couldn't afford it. I'm all for an overhaul of the team but if that means stripping out the creative talent and replacing it with a bunch of workhorses I'm not interested.

I would love to have seen Hughes play for Derby in the first division, however it hasn't to be.

We need a squad of players who are up for the fight and any that aren't 100% up for giving everything for Derby should be thanked and moved on.

I don't know if Hughes (or Ince) have given Rowett cause to think they'd prefer to be playing in the top flight, but you'd have to wonder about them if they're not.

We need players that are pinching themselves because they are playing for Derby County.

I do think Hughes is the real deal and will love to see him progress - he has gone as far as he can with us at the minute, though.

Looking at this positively [hard as that is], if Will Hughes can't get into Derby County's Championship midfield and yet is generally considered to be Premiership class, we must be about to bring in at least one stunning new player to replace him. I'm looking forward to seeing who that is. No pressure there then.........

Archived