Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

I do wonder if the fee is nowhere as straightforward as it seems. Maybe it's £8m cash plus a write-off on some of what's outstanding on the Vydra / Anya transfers.

I hope so because I just don't believe MM would sanction letting Will leave for just the £8m. It just doesn't seem good business sense.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
8 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Sky Sports News HQ understands some elements of the deal between Watford and Derby for midfielder Will Hughes have been agreed.

We understand personal terms are unlikely to prove a problem but, at this stage, the final transfer figure and payment schedules are still to be agreed.

I don't like how this story seems to have spread thru all the mainstream media. Even if sky say it's not a done deal, the fact that we could agree anything near the price being quoted seems to me ridiculous.

if LDN is short  for LOndon, maybe WTF is short for watord, which seems appropriate if this story is even half true. 

Marco Silva is maybe the big factor for Will Hughes, he will get Watford well organised and players will play for him and will put in some great performances next season and Watford will not be in a relegation battle. I think Marco Silva will have learnt a lot from his short spell at Hull City last season and about the Premiership and Watford might be a really good fit for Will Hughes.

Will could have left Derby County on a few occasions but he has stuck around and given it a proper go, but as a club, we haven't delivered, and haven't been promoted and he needs to play in the Premiership at some stage, unfortunately for us, that time looks like it has arrived.

The best we can do as fans, is to wish him well, if the deal goes through or if he goes anywhere else is to hope that we play Watford or whoever he's playing for very soon, and we give that team a right proper doing, so he knows what he's left behind.

It's up to us as a football club, to quickly catch up the likes of Watford and Burnley, and overtake them, and leave them all behind. Are we going to be taken for a Ride? or is it our time to Ride above them all and beyond?

More importantly, have we sold Tom Ince yet?

Just now, Nuwtfly said:

Daily Fail claiming it's a £4m fee, rising to £8m :/ 

Sky also reported this. After losing Martin on loan, I wouldn't put anything past us.

I'm still surprised we didn't loan Ince out to Huddersfield. 

Proper tinpot outfit. Fawaz had a better grasp on outgoing transfers than this. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Proper tinpot outfit. Fawaz had a better grasp on outgoing transfers than this. 

Remember that's now become the Derby way.

And I'm still gutted at having the p*ss taken out of us once again and losing our prize home grown asset.

31 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

So out best two academy products of the past decade have been snapped up by Burnley and Watford....

Hear you, striking though that both teams were playing us when our midfield had Hughes and Hendrick in it, both have moved up and on, we sadly have not.

Maybe this is the price of failure and maybe the consequence of where they have ended up, (assuming Hughes signs for Watford); also shows they are not viewed as highly in other circles yet, as we would like to think they are.

I will be disappointed if he goes. I'm sure the money will be invested wisely and we may actually get a player or players who help us get promoted.

The thing is I enjoy watching him play football. I'm disappointed when he's not in the starting 11. He isn't always brilliant, he makes mistakes and on the odd occasion makes a woeful pass but sitting in the Library  (West Stand Upper) you can see him pulling players around, making space and picking passes that others in the team can't even see. He passes where the player will be, not where he is.

I also think it illustrates how disappointing we've been over the last 5 or 6 years, in that we haven't been able to get promoted with one of the best championship players in the team. At the moment this is probably my biggest disappointment, not that's he going but that we haven't progressed enough to keep him.

He's only worth what someone else is prepared to pay, you can't really argue with that.

A fantastic back heeled goal against Brighton, a sublime chip to set up Darren Bent and a number of examples of indiscipline when chasing back are all I can actually recall from the last 3 years. Doesn't make him any more than an £8million player in my opinion. He has poor technique at shots from range which will always cap his value as an attack minded midfielder.

His style and ball control will always be easy on the eye but lesser names have always done far more damage to us than Will has done to the opposition.

He may well go on to take the Premier League by storm and I hope he does - I'm sure there will be a decent sell on clause to reward us if it happens.

Time for both parties to move on.

18 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Daily Fail claiming it's a £4m fee, rising to £8m :/ 

Now if this is true, someone needs shooting. I don't think id be exaggerating if I said that was the worst outgoing transfer we've ever negotiated? Bought a season ticket yesterday, I don't mind us selling Hughes for funds but that's miles off his value!

PistoldPete2
4 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Now if this is true, someone needs shooting. I don't think id be exaggerating if I said that was the worst outgoing transfer we've ever negotiated? Bought a season ticket yesterday, I don't mind us selling Hughes for funds but that's miles off his value!

Agreed. If we sell hughes for 8 million someone needs sacking. If we sell him for £ 4 million someone needs shooting .

After every poor result, you hear fans say "get rid of these bottle jobs". The question is, who are they? We have absolutely no idea whether Hughes has a better mentality than Butterfield/Johnson, etc. They also say we need to "trust in Rowett"; well isn't that exactly the opposite of what we're doing at the minute.

I am disappointed by the fee, especially when you consider he's basically being swapped for Vydra. However, if Jacob Butterfield had put in the performances that Hughes has put in for the last two years, we would be laughing at how much we'd got for him. I don't particularly love Butterfield, but he carried us at time last season and if it were Hughes that had been playing like that, we would have been fawning all over him. Who's been more important this season, Tom Ince or Will Hughes?

Ultimately, I do think he's overrated by our fans. Yes, he's a nice footballer but he's not a player to win you games on your own, and if he was so great, how come he never comes close to winning Player of the Season? I really thought he was kicking on last season when he put some brilliant performances after he came back from injury, but ultimately he's disappointed and is largely the same player as he was at the age of 16. I would still be delighted if he stayed, but more for sentimental reasons than cold hard logic.

I do think he'll flourish if used correctly in the Prem, and I would wish him all the best as one of our own. Good luck Will, go and make a name for yourself.

3 minutes ago, BurtonRam7 said:

Ultimately, I do think he's overrated by our fans. Yes, he's a nice footballer but he's not a player to win you games on your own, and if he was so great, how come he never comes close to winning Player of the Season?

Football is a team game. If you're relying on players to win you games on their own, it means you've screwed up the rest of your game.  And Hughes won player of the year in 2014/2015.

Archived