Official: Will Hughes joins Watford

silhillian

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PistoldPete2
52 minutes ago, Abu Derby said:

Not read all of the topic, however has he gone yet?

I think so... I've not heard anything about his medical, and he did go off injured last night but I think it was only cramp. 

4 hours ago, Warren Hobhead said:

But he didn't look anything like the best player at the club last year. None of the midfielders had good years and he was one of them. Ince was far and away our best player and has been consistently since he arrived. 

We will see this season just how much we miss Hughes or not. I don't think we will miss him. Because I didn't see him fitting into the system GR will go with. 

We may still lose Ince. Then, then we will be losing our best player and then I will be much more concerned. 

Hughes had a bad injury the season before last, and last season was disjointed and not his best it's true. But he was player of the season before that at age 19/20. That fact alone is enough to indicate the ability of the lad. If those that manage our club have forgotten his quality because of a single below par season (along with pretty much everyone - bar Ince) then that's a sad indictment of how Derby is been run.

I think you are right that Rowett doesn't see him fitting into his system and in all honestly I think he was quite eager to sell him on. 

It's very clear 

will wanted away once the chance of prem football was on offer ( no probs ,what player would nt ?)

rowett was fine to let him go if he wanted away rather than be at Derby ( in this day and age it's the only real approach to that situation)

only watford wanted him so the leverage on price was a bit lacking for us ,

for what it's worth I believe that rowett and Pearson are exactly the same in one way ,that is that the starting point is every player must work their ass off in training and on the pitch to earn their place in the team and every player must buy into the job in hand i.e. Getting Derby promoted ,, for whatever reason I believe will had lost that at Derby , whether that be his youth (arsing round to much and not putting enough in ) , believing his talent allowed him to work less in training ,,lost motivation after a few gutting failed attempts at promotion with Derby or a culmination of all those possible factors and more ,, no matter 

rowett has the job of getting Derby promoted and he will have to surround himself with players that will run through walls for him and Derby county no matter how much talent they have and it's clear that he did not feel that response from Hughes , if rowett came in 3 years ago he may well have found a different Hughes , fresher and raring for the challenge of getting Derby up ?

im gutted Hughes is gone ,, I will be sad to see ince go if he does but it is vital at this point for Derby and rowett to set the bar and minimum requirement of any player at our club to be totally committed to getting Derby promoted and yes it maybe a cliche but it is true ,sometimes you have to go backwards to go forwards ,, before anybody gives me the hoof ball versus Barcelona argument ,, I've watched Barcelona at their best and they all work their gnads off

1 hour ago, archied said:

It's very clear 

will wanted away once the chance of prem football was on offer ( no probs ,what player would nt ?)

rowett was fine to let him go if he wanted away rather than be at Derby ( in this day and age it's the only real approach to that situation)

Its not very clear to me.

It looks more like Gary didn't want to build his new look team round Will rather than Will wanted away, based on the evidence available. The evidence is GR not picking Will and GR saying anyone can go for the right price.

Yep I can agree that it's clear rowett did nt want to build a team around Hughes ,,,, very much doubt rowett wants to build a team around any single player ,

it appears rowett wants to build a team around a team and I can go with that , whether rowett can build a team to match the expectations at Derby remains to be seen but he is certainly not dithering and indecisive ,he believes he can and is cracking on with it if the ince and keough also out stuff is to be believed 

am I worried? Yes a bit  but also I'm kind of excited to see a fresh line up take the mantle too , there's been a gut feeling that no matter how well we did at points during a season we would disappointingly fall short in the end ? 

Its a new era and all in all we probably needed a real good shake up , if we have learnt anything from this group of players over the last few years it's that they are far from the only ones that can play decent football at this level and challenge for/ win promotion ,

as has been posted by others rowett is not breaking up a hugely sucsefull side but rather one that's had the label of underachieving or not quite good enough 

The squad obviously needs a shake up, different styles have been played and even the Mac system/style of football that seemed to be the most attractive, hasn't actually worked in terms of promotion.

You can't keep banging your head against the wall.

I trust what GR is doing and I'm looking forward to the season to see what the team looks like.

Remember that all this nicey tip tap football has got us exactly zero. 

Our most successful manager in the last 10-11 years was Billy Davies!!. He played a defensive solid game and we got promoted.

I don't care who pulls the Derby shirt on, as long as they give it their all.

I also don't care who gets sold, that's football and i'm not into hero worship, players come and go and I've seen many a top Derby player move to be worried.

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

It looks more like Gary didn't want to build his new look team round Will rather than Will wanted away, based on the evidence available. The evidence is GR not picking Will and GR saying anyone can go for the right price.

or

Will had a get out clause in his new contract and told GR he couldn't wait for DCFC to get to the prem he needed to go in the summer.  GR prepared for the following season by not selecting him thereafter; simples

8 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

Even if there was a clause in the contract that Hughes signed last season?

1 hour ago, mwram1973 said:

The squad obviously needs a shake up, different styles have been played and even the Mac system/style of football that seemed to be the most attractive, hasn't actually worked in terms of promotion.

You can't keep banging your head against the wall.

I trust what GR is doing and I'm looking forward to the season to see what the team looks like.

Remember that all this nicey tip tap football has got us exactly zero. 

Our most successful manager in the last 10-11 years was Billy Davies!!. He played a defensive solid game and we got promoted.

I don't care who pulls the Derby shirt on, as long as they give it their all.

I also don't care who gets sold, that's football and i'm not into hero worship, players come and go and I've seen many a top Derby player move to be worried.

And look how that turned out. No thanks

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

And look how that turned out. No thanks

What I mean is, he's the only manager since Jim Smith who has managed to get us out of this League.

What Davies done after that with recruitment is another story, my point is that the style GR wants to play, imo, is better suited to this league rather than fancy possession based, knocking it along the back 4 style of football.

1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

Even if there was a clause in the contract that Hughes signed last season?

There may well have been a clause, id be surprised if there weren't, but its still not clear that Will wanted away rather than Gary not wanting him to stay, which was the point i was replying to.

9 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

There may well have been a clause, id be surprised if there weren't, but its still not clear that Will wanted away rather than Gary not wanting him to stay, which was the point i was replying to.

Didn't Rowett say in his interview that Hughes expressed his desire to give the Premier League a shot? 

1 minute ago, G STAR RAM said:

Didn't Rowett say in his interview that Hughes expressed his desire to give the Premier League a shot? 

Was that after he'd said that anyone can go for the right price? If Gary had wanted him to stay he'd have made it clear imo.

I guess we'll never know for definite until Will writes his autobiography after leading England to World Cup victory!

6 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Was that after he'd said that anyone can go for the right price? If Gary had wanted him to stay he'd have made it clear imo.

I guess we'll never know for definite until Will writes his autobiography after leading England to World Cup victory!

Anyone can go for the right price is just a cliche that applies to every club throughout the land!

My personal take is that Will wanted out and I don't blame him for that.

7 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Anyone can go for the right price is just a cliche that applies to every club throughout the land!

My personal take is that Will wanted out and I don't blame him for that.

Exactly the point I was making, it's your personal take. @archied said it's clear that's what happened. I said it's not clear, 

Archived