Has Gary found his skipper?

"Curtis is an intelligent player and a real leader" according to Hull fans. He also captained Hull when Dawson was unavailable.

Has Gary found us a proper skipper at last... will this allow Keogh to concentrate on what he is good at and leave the motivation, control and pitch management to CD.... I for one hope so.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mirror included a line that said he was brought in to partner Keogh and it's believed Keogh will keep the armband. Obviously they could be wrong or things could change, but I think that info came from the same journalist who broke the 500k get out clause so he's probably heard something we haven't. 

12 minutes ago, Cam the Ram said:

The Mirror included a line that said he was brought in to partner Keogh and it's believed Keogh will keep the armband. Obviously they could be wrong or things could change, but I think that info came from the same journalist who broke the 500k get out clause so he's probably heard something we haven't. 

I hope that is true!

Having the armband doesn't suddenly impact your ability to play football.

It's just an armband for crying out loud.

Those who are vocal will remain vocal, armband or not, and those who aren't would stay that way.

Also, If you're a leader in the dressing room somebody else wearing armband doesn't suddenly impact your ability to lead.

Keogh is probably club captain because he is likely one of the most sociable, respected and likeable players at the club.

Not because he is some 'leader of men' some on here associate how a captain should be.

There is no correlation between Keogh's form improving because he was stripped of the captaincy.

There is a correlation between Keogh improving defensively and Paul Clement setting us up to defend.

He's been the same since Clement was here, even with the captaincy... I'd argue he was better last season than the year before.

I think fans tend to make a lot out of the armband, apart from a few duties and the status thing, I can only imagine its a thing if you have mardarse egomaniacs sulking because that dont get to wear it.

I dont think Johnson has stopped trying to be a leader because he's not the skipper.

Anyway, I heard Rowett found a whole tin of john west ones at the back of the cupboard.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Those who are vocal will remain vocal, armband or not, and those who aren't would stay that way.

Also, If you're a leader in the dressing room somebody else wearing armband doesn't suddenly impact your ability to lead.

Keogh is probably club captain because he is likely one of the most sociable, respected and likeable players at the club.

Not because he is some 'leader of men' some on here associate how a captain should be.

Every. Single. Summer.

The magic armband debate.

2 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Fed up of the misguided criticism of Keogh being captain. His performances don't change because he's wearing an armband! It always has to be something with a certain section of fans. He can't bloody win!

This is the second time I've reposted this and I will continue to do so every time someone talks about Keogh's performances being in someway related to wearing a piece of cloth. It's simply not worth the time arguing with some people over this topic so I'm going for the time honoured tradition of simply drowning out the opposition by shouting the same thing over and over again.

"The whole captaincy issue is so overrated. Keogh doesn't play worse when he has the armband, he plays worse when his defensive partner's form drops or when the defence is constantly being chopped and changed. It's the same for every defender in the country.

"Besides, being captain doesn't really mean that much. All they really do i lead the team out, take photos with the kids and speak to the press more often than the other players. Doesn't stop other players from leading on the pitch. Someone rightly pointed out that we have loads of captains in our squad; Pearce (Reading), Bryson (Kilmarnock), Shackell (Burnley), Johnson (Norwich), Baird (Fulham/West Brom I think). Them not having the armband shouldn't stop them exerting their influence."

44 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

"Besides, being captain doesn't really mean that much. All they really do i lead the team out, take photos with the kids and speak to the press more often than the other players. Doesn't stop other players from leading on the pitch. Someone rightly pointed out that we have loads of captains in our squad; Pearce (Reading), Bryson (Kilmarnock), Shackell (Burnley), Johnson (Norwich), Baird (Fulham/West Brom I think). Them not having the armband shouldn't stop them exerting their influence."

Seriously? You need a rethink.

Do you think England would have won the World Cup without the brilliant captaincy of Martin Johnson? There needs to be one voice, not many. That voice on the pitch comes from the captain. If we had a decent one you'd notice the difference.

24 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Do you think England would have won the World Cup without the brilliant captaincy of Martin Johnson? There needs to be one voice, not many. That voice on the pitch comes from the captain. If we had a decent one you'd notice the difference.

Yeah your name sake, Dave Mackay or err Robbie Savage (cough). I think that sums up the different qualities you can imagine successful captains hold.

i will share with you an incident during one of the final home games. i take  and give a lift home to my son and his mate. His mate is a ball boy who sits behund one if the goals. on the way home he told us that during a period when derby were under presure and giving the  ball away almost resulting in a goal Pearce scresmed at the midfielders to get on it and track back. Keogh responded with a rebuke to pearce.is words were "shut the f#@k up,  i am the captain and i will tell them"  Perhaps he felt his position is under threat or maybe does not encourage leaders on the pitch..

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

That England team probably disproves your point if anything. We had Dallaglio (captain before his drugs indiscretion), Richard Hill (who was unbelievably influential) & chippy characters like Dawson & Greenwood who cajoled & encouraged (particularly the forwards) a lot more verbally than Johnson. 

Like all good sides, everyone took responsibility for leading at various points. One man alone can't make up for a lack of character elsewhere in the team & hence I agree with PodgeyRam that the actual position of captain isn't really that relevant. 

Archived