Has Gary found his skipper?

27 minutes ago, ramsbottom said:

I truly believe most people get wound up about Keogh being our captain because they get embarrassed when [he] scream, shout, and flap your arms around like a 4 year old who's had their Chewits taken away...

FIFY

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Alpha said:

Nobody is saying you don't need leaders

The point is leaders lead regardless. 

I've never played football and thought "oh my god, he's got an armband on I must be inspired by that man.!!"

You listen to who makes sense in your head. 

Armband or not.

Every summer we do this ****. It's an armband not a therapy cushion. If Joe Bloggs is a leader then he'll lead without an armband. If he's too scared to talk without the sacred elastic then he's not a leader is he?

Davies says this himself in the interview on youtube.

2 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

I truly believe most people get wound up about Keogh being our captain because they get embarrassed when we conceed a sloppy goal and our captain, our rock, instead of grabbing the ball out the back of the net, and encouraging the rest of the team to pull their socks up, descends into a childish spaz attack.  I'm all for players calling out others who have made a mistake, but do it an authoritative way.  Fix them with an icy glare, or point of the finger that let's them know, in no uncertain terms, they need to sort their s*** out sharpish.  Not scream, shout, and flap your arms around like a 4 year old who's had their Chewits taken away...

You are so very wrong. A good leader will encourage, teach and give him the benefit of expert knowledge to not make that mistake again.

How would you feel if when you made a mistake, you were balled out in front of 30,000 people?????

22 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

You are so very wrong. A good leader will encourage, teach and give him the benefit of expert knowledge to not make that mistake again.

How would you feel if when you made a mistake, you were balled out in front of 30,000 people?????

Teaching, and giving them the benefit of knowledge can wait until half/full time.  Players don't need a detailed analysis of what just went wrong, they need encouraging, and motivating.  Screaming & shouting doesn't accomplish anything.  Telling them to f***ing sort themselves out, and get your head back into it, is more likely to do that.  Besides, if the mistake is that obvious, the majority of those 30,000 people will be doing the balling out for them...

Call me old school, but I'd be much more inclined to pay attention to a Tony Adams or a Robin Van Der Laan, than some guy waving him arms like a petulant kid.  I like Keogh, I rate him as a defender, but his childish rants when we conceed are embarrassing...

I've captained sides I've played for, and have, on occasion done what Keogh's done, and I could tell straight away that accomplished nothing in terms of motivating.  Whereas a little word, or growl to get there chin up was much more effective.

On the skipper debate - I once asked my manager why I was never considered for Captain as I felt I was one of the better players and was very vocal in organising our back four. He replied I did not need to be captain as I performed most of the role anyway and that he would rather give to someone who might get a lift from it. Not sure I totally agreed with it but I got where he was coming from.

Rugby captains are different, having played low level rugby mostly I was promoted to the firsts for a handful of games. The first team captain was probably 50 and played prop, he was definately still a first team for his captaincy skills. He was always having conversations with the ref and I think won us plenty of penalties we would otherwise not have been given, his most common line was "not sure I agree with that sir" and normally the next time something similar happened it would mysteriously go our way.

The cloth means everything. The better the cloth the better the leader. For far too long we have had mediocre armbands. Therefore whoever we pick next season the piece of cloth should be awe-inspiring. Gold and with stars like a General on it. Patton-esque.

The cloth makes the leader. 

:D

8 hours ago, rynny said:

Wonder what you would have thought when we signed Dave Mackay? Yes Davies has been a better player than all of our centre backs. Is he now? Well we see when the season starts.

FFS, comparing Dave Mackay with CD is like comparing Messi with Martin ?

11 hours ago, toddy said:

Really?

Didn't know we were looking for a skipper?

What has happened to this forum, we have signed a solid but aging defender, past his best. And the forum seems to think we have found a new Mac or Todd?

Is he really that better than we currently have?

No one have claimed or think that we found the new Mac or Todd stop making it up. 

For your last question he's definitely way better than Alex Pearce and maybe Jason Shackell as well. Curtis Davies is very good defender. 

8 minutes ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

No one have claimed or think that we found the new Mac or Todd stop making it up. 

For your last question he's definitely way better than Alex Pearce and maybe Jason Shackell as well. Curtis Davies is very good defender. 

Some folks think Pearce is a very good defender, it does mean he actually is, it is only their opinion .

On 6/7/2017 at 14:11, Cam the Ram said:

The Mirror included a line that said he was brought in to partner Keogh and it's believed Keogh will keep the armband. Obviously they could be wrong or things could change, but I think that info came from the same journalist who broke the 500k get out clause so he's probably heard something we haven't. 

Surely Rowett has realised that this team is never going to get promoted with Richard Keogh in the side. 

1 hour ago, toddy said:

FFS, comparing Dave Mackay with CD is like comparing Messi with Martin ?

Comparing the players? No, the situation? Yes. An older player that has performed well in the division above, near the end of his career. Not comparing their abilities, never in a million years.

Archived