Keogh

TroyDyer

28 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

A number of posters keep having a pop at Keogh (and it doesn't wash saying "I'm not really having a go" when so obviously they are) but they fail to come up with alternatives in the touted £3m - £5m price range who are better (must be better otherwise why bother). Could it be because they can't think of any?

Also talking about achievements - how about 18 caps for his country (to date).

I'll provide 2 options, which I reckon could be feasible:

Joe Gomez - season long loan from Liverpool

or 

Daniel Ayala - I reckon would be around £5m. Is very similar quality to Keogh - but younger - was 3rd/4th choice at Boro last season but was excellent in their promotion season the year before. I'm including the freshen up factor that GR wants as an offset to your must be a better player.....but he's certainly no lesser player.

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

A number of posters keep having a pop at Keogh (and it doesn't wash saying "I'm not really having a go" when so obviously they are) but they fail to come up with alternatives in the touted £3m - £5m price range who are better (must be better otherwise why bother). Could it be because they can't think of any?

Also talking about achievements - how about 18 caps for his country (to date).

It is also possible that the idea isn't to get shot of Keogh for 3M and replace at the same price. A good centre back may be on the shopping list for a few shekels more than we would get for Keogh. I know that some like him because he charges around a lot but he was part of a centre-back partnership that leaked goals from crosses at a massively unacceptable rate last season. i would be happy to see him further his career elsewhere and wish him well.

1 minute ago, Dava75 said:

I'll provide 2 options, which I reckon could be feasible:

Joe Gomez - season long loan from Liverpool

or 

Daniel Ayala - I reckon would be around £5m. Is very similar quality to Keogh - but younger - was 3rd/4th choice at Boro last season but was excellent in their promotion season the year before. I'm including the freshen up factor that GR wants as an offset to your must be a better player.....but he's certainly no lesser player.

One of those is a left back (of which we have arguably four), and the other is a centre-half who arguably isn't any better than what we already have. Feasible, but not sensible! 

Joe Gomez who linked to Brighton can play full back (both side) and CB. We've already got 5(6 if included Anya) full backs on our books. No need for another one tbh

4 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

One of those is a left back (of which we have arguably four), and the other is a centre-half who arguably isn't any better than what we already have. Feasible, but not sensible! 

Joe Gomez is predominantly a centre back who can play both full back positions - which ticks the Rowett smaller more flexible squad box - he is also a very good player.

Suggest you re-read the para about Ayala - I've admitted he's a similar standard (albeit my own opinion is he's slightly better) but this is also about fitting the overall needs case - some of which is about fresh faces/fresh feel.

Feasible and sensible (IMO) :p

14 minutes ago, bcnram said:

It is also possible that the idea isn't to get shot of Keogh for 3M and replace at the same price. A good centre back may be on the shopping list for a few shekels more than we would get for Keogh. I know that some like him because he charges around a lot but he was part of a centre-back partnership that leaked goals from crosses at a massively unacceptable rate last season. i would be happy to see him further his career elsewhere and wish him well.

We leaked too many goals from corners and wide free kicks not crosses in open play. I can only think of one goal where Keogh being beaten in the air led to us conceding.

having Martin. Wisdom and Forsyth back in the team will make a world of difference at set pieces.  

15 minutes ago, sage said:

We leaked too many goals from corners and wide free kicks not crosses in open play. I can only think of one goal where Keogh being beaten in the air led to us conceding.

having Martin. Wisdom and Forsyth back in the team will make a world of difference at set pieces.  

I agree with this totally - one of my biggest fears when we let Martin go on loan was that we would suffer at set pieces.  Didn't happen straight away but certainly came home to roost later in the season.  Invariably it was the strikers (mainly Bent)  man who got free to punish us - Martin used to deal with a hell of a lot at set pieces.

7 minutes ago, sage said:

I was taking a cross as a cross, open play, corner, free kick all lumped into one little cross bag. Totally agree on the positives of having those three in the area for those crosses (of any type). My own preference is for a central defender with a tad more positional discipline to his game than Keogh shows. 

4 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

I agree with this totally - one of my biggest fears when we let Martin go on loan was that we would suffer at set pieces.  Didn't happen straight away but certainly came home to roost later in the season.  Invariably it was the strikers (mainly Bent)  man who got free to punish us - Martin used to deal with a hell of a lot at set pieces.

Totally agree with this. Martin cleared so many corners and free kicks when he was here.

Definitely a gap we never filled properly last season.

6 minutes ago, Scott_dcfc said:

Totally agree with this. Martin cleared so many corners and free kicks when he was here.

Definitely a gap we never filled properly last season.

Yet in some people's eyes it is always the defences fault and more specifically Keogh. 

7 minutes ago, Donnyram said:

Yet in some people's eyes it is always the defences fault and more specifically Keogh. 

Its very strange how all of the incidents that have blighted our side the last few years have been mostly laid at the doors of martin Keogh and even Ince.

All due to in some part or other bad attitudes or not quite being good enough.

Ince has just signed up for a premier league club, Martin was subject to a 9million deal last season and Keogh appears to be in demand again this window.

The managers looking at these three must be mad.

Not like any of them have won promotion at all or even the FA cup! 

33 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Not arsed to read through 84 pages, can anyone summarise what's happening? I've heard he's being linked to Birmingham, but any developments beyond a sole newspaper link?

TBH I don't think there is one credible link in this thread, bemused its still open.

10 minutes ago, ollycutts1982 said:

TBH I don't think there is one credible link in this thread, bemused its still open.

Usually if the Derby Telegraph report on it, it has some credibility, even if it doesn't come off in the end

I love scouring other forums to see what they think when linked to our players. An outsiders view is always interesting.

Nothing overly negative but no-one seems very impressed either. "Wouldn't wanna pay more than half million.", "Apparently Derby want £3m for Keogh, they can jog on for that."

General consensus among fans is they don't need another centre half, it's the only outfield position they are covered for now they've signed Roberts to bolster it, so I'd be surprised if this has legs.

9 minutes ago, Tombo said:

Usually if the Derby Telegraph report on it, it has some credibility, even if it doesn't come off in the end

???

I think nowadays the DET get their stories from this forum or other rags.

I barely look on the site any more. Outdated and dross.

1 hour ago, Donnyram said:

I've been slightly critical of Keogh myself, but only as I think taking the armband from him will help him be at his best.

Archived