Checkatrade Trophy

Day

Surprisingly they are keeping the same format with a few tweaks, no mention of the invited clubs yet, I'm guessing here totally by saying Derby probably want to be involved again, gives the U23's more games v tougher opposition. 

Key format changes include: 

- EFL team selection criteria amended to allow increased flexibility for League One and League Two clubs 
- An increase in the total competition fund to £3million 
- Each group will continue to contain one invited Under-21 team with the remainder made up of EFL clubs from either League One or League Two. Groups will be formed to minimise overall travel time for EFL clubs and fans 
- Invited Under-21 teams will play their Group games away from home 
- Regionalisation until the Quarter-Final stage (improved from Round Two in 2016/17) to minimise overall travel time for clubs and fans 
- Flexibility of fixture dates to allow teams to schedule games outside of international weeks 
- As part of the proposals, the selection criteria for invited Under-21 teams will remain as ‘six players from the starting 11 must be under the age of 21 as at 30 June 2017.’ 

There are three headline objectives for the Checkatrade Trophy in seasons 2017/18 and 2018/19. They are: 

- Provide enhanced playing opportunities for young players of EFL and Category One Clubs 
- Enhance the profile of the competition 
- Improve the revenue opportunities for EFL Clubs 

Read more at http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/checkatrade-trophy-backed-by-league-one-and-league-two-clubs-3713966.aspx#ciJXv6cixW3Yyi4u.99

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What amuses me is the scorn it gets on social media and people say "boycott it" etc (including journos)..... yet when you get to Wembley all and sundry want the day out and the journos are writing column inches discussing the "fairytale of going to Wembley".....

18 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

What amuses me is the scorn it gets on social media and people say "boycott it" etc (including journos)..... yet when you get to Wembley all and sundry want the day out and the journos are writing column inches discussing the "fairytale of going to Wembley".....

Journalists..... hypocritical.... ?

Goes hand in glove

28 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

There's no hypocrisy here at all. The talk of boycotts is based around rule changes that are universally despised by lower league fans, namely allowing tier 1 academies to use them as a glorified training exercise whilst forcing the league 1/2 clubs to field full strength teams in the group stages. If an academy side made it to the final there would be calls to boycott that too.

38 minutes ago, Anon said:

There's no hypocrisy here at all. The talk of boycotts is based around rule changes that are universally despised by lower league fans, namely allowing tier 1 academies to use them as a glorified training exercise whilst forcing the league 1/2 clubs to field full strength teams in the group stages. If an academy side made it to the final there would be calls to boycott that too.

Have all the calls to boycott you like.... imagine a league 2 side that's not been to Wembley for years..... and they have that chance.... you telling me they wouldn't show for it even if a U23 team got to final? 

Of course they would show. 

Archived