Anyone un-sellable?

Gaspode

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Shackell is by no means un-sellable in my opinion, in fact I believe it to be the correct move to make. Agree on the others, don't think anyone would buy Thorne! 

Who would you replace shackell with then? Imo he's our best defender, and I'm struggling to think of anyone realistically available that can fill his role. As much as I'd love someone as good but younger, I can't think of anyone available, would be happy if rowett finds one mind!

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Who would you replace shackell with then? Imo he's our best defender, and I'm struggling to think of anyone realistically available that can fill his role. As much as I'd love someone as good but younger, I can't think of anyone available, would be happy if rowett finds one mind!

He is easily our best defender if we sit deep. That's no wonder as according the stats, he was league's top defender for Burnley in PL!

Problem is, we are likely to play high line and with fast CB's.

6 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

He is easily our best defender if we sit deep. That's no wonder as according the stats, he was league's top defender for Burnley in PL!

Problem is, we are likely to play high line and with fast CB's.

Yeah that didn't definitely enter my thought process, hence why I dropped him in that second list. Would be nice if we could get a faster, younger player than the shack but the trouble is who? Flint ain't the answer, maybe the Portuguese bloke? Who knows?

26 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

Shackell isn't our best defender, in my opinion. Keogh is our best defender, and I think defenders that can 'defend' in a sense are readily available, a Keogh type defender is much more rare as a ball playing centre half. I'm certainly no scout, so perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm sure there will be a defender who is better on the ball than Shackell out there.

Just now, Millenniumram said:

Yeah that didn't definitely enter my thought process, hence why I dropped him in that second list. Would be nice if we could get a faster, younger player than the shack but the trouble is who? Flint ain't the answer, maybe the Portuguese bloke? Who knows?

Hopefully somebody from our staff... Someone like Onuoha, who is suprisingly fast to be a defender.

(I'm not suggest Onuoha, he quickness has just caught my eye. I've got no idea is he any good.)

8 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Shackell isn't our best defender, in my opinion. Keogh is our best defender, and I think defenders that can 'defend' in a sense are readily available, a Keogh type defender is much more rare as a ball playing centre half. I'm certainly no scout, so perhaps I'm wrong, but I'm sure there will be a defender who is better on the ball than Shackell out there.

Bang on. Like you say, it can't be difficult to find a player more comfortable on the ball than Shackell (or Pearce for that matter). finding one better than Keogh though? That's a bit more difficult.

For me 2 players must be here next season , Carson, been class all season, and to replace him would cost 3 million plus, and the other 1 is Captain Keogh he has been our best defender for the past 4 years easy, never misses games, plays with his heart on his sleeve, and gives his all for this club, how anyone wants to keep Shackell over Keogh is beyond me, I am sure Mr Rowett will get rid of Shackell, and I also think Shackell will want another pay deal, probably will be playing in the MLS next season.

53 minutes ago, Dimmu said:

Hopefully somebody from our staff... Someone like Onuoha, who is suprisingly fast to be a defender.

(I'm not suggest Onuoha, he quickness has just caught my eye. I've got no idea is he any good.)

I've certainly rated onuoha whenever I've seen him as well, always looks very assured to me, someone like him would be excellent. That's of course only based on the couple of times I've seen him tho, the scouts might just pull one out the bag.... or we could get another Raul...

On 07/05/2017 at 15:04, Roboram said:

They're all part of a losing squad culture, I'd let every single one of them go. Unfortunately it's already been said, who the hell would want these losers? No one who's going to be willing to a) pay big money or b) match their wages.

I fear we're going to stuck with most of them until their fat contracts expire so next season could be yet another damp squib

priceless with fans like you i give up

16 hours ago, Derby blood said:

For me 2 players must be here next season , Carson, been class all season, and to replace him would cost 3 million plus, and the other 1 is Captain Keogh he has been our best defender for the past 4 years easy, never misses games, plays with his heart on his sleeve, and gives his all for this club, how anyone wants to keep Shackell over Keogh is beyond me, I am sure Mr Rowett will get rid of Shackell, and I also think Shackell will want another pay deal, probably will be playing in the MLS next season.

Tosh ! Keogh always has a mistake in him! We will never win anything with him in the side ! 

On 5/7/2017 at 14:59, Leicester Ram said:

Nick Blackman is unsellable. Literally, who'd pay money for him and match his wages here?

Paul Clement sits at home every now and again and laughs at the fact we're stuck with him...  If in fact he does laugh, I can't imagine he's the type...

Unfortunately we're not Real Madrid or Barcelona, so all our players are sell-able.  

Out of the current squad, only Ince & Carson have had a good season so you'd want them to stay, but at the same time, having a good season means people could be interested.  If a mid to lower prem team were to come in for Ince i'd be hacked off if we didn't get at least £10m for him.  Similarly, if some came sniffing for Hughes, yes he's not in our plans but his potential is huge in the right environment.  As for the rest of them, I'd like to keep Martin, The Nuge, Johnson, Forsyth, Thorne, Bryson & Baird.  The rest could go for me...

3 hours ago, swadieram said:

Tosh ! Keogh always has a mistake in him! We will never win anything with him in the side ! 

Keogh is a great defender at this level, managers like Martin Oneil, Nigel Clough, Steve Mac, Paul Clement, Darren Wassell and Gary Rowett all rate Keogh, these are Football Managers not fans, so they understand the game a lot better than any of us, Keogh will still be here next season unless a silly offer comes in for him, as to buy better than Keogh would cost 6 million plus pounds.

On 2017-5-8 at 18:56, McLovin said:

Lmao are you serious that you'd prefer Russell and Bryson over Ince, Nugent, Hughes, Thorne etc. Martin I can just about live with but Russell and Bryson? Nah not having it. They aren't good enough for a team striving for promotion.

Thorne shouldn't have been omitted from my must keep list.....I just forgot he was still with us,it's been so long.

Hughes really hasn't done anything for us this year...I love him but as it stands he can be replaced by less capable players who perhaps fit into the rowett ethic better.

Personally I still believe that Russell and bryson will fit into it,esp with a returning Martin.....then again,perhaps Hughes will click too in that mix.

There are better players out there,I appreciate that but that's not quite the point.....its going to be about being the right cog in the engine next season.

On ‎8‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:28, RamNut said:

I think GR is playing his strongest team.

i also suspect that when mel referred to a manager who applied for the job when Pearson was appointed, but who didn't get the job, and then subsequently told him 442 with two small central midfielders wouldn't work - that this was rowett.

i think he wants big strong athletic players. Not sure that Will or Vydra fit that mould. 

I always suspected it wasn't Rowett. I've always sensed that Morris' preferred candidate was Rowett; indeed, I had little doubt when Rowett was sacked by Birmingham that any chance McClaren had of managing beyond the end of the season was gone (but, then, I always suspected that Mel would never extend Mac in any case.)

Besides, wasn't Rowett playing footsies with Forest's new American owners at that stage?

Archived