Rowett knows what you think!

RoyMac5

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the wider audience perception rather than Derby fans. 

That the squad is talented and has potential to achieve promotion but suffers from extreme changes in performance level. They can smash a midtable side 5-0 at home. Then struggle to get a shot off at QPR. 

Got to find that level of performance we can maintain for a season. Some days it won't be enough and we'll lose. Everyone loses.

I don't think the wider outside perception is that Derby are not trying. That's what fans say about their own teams. How many teams have come to Derby and you've thought "they aren't trying!"

I have to say I don't agree that there's the potential there that most outsiders do. Outsiders will see some top players and some pretty big names at this level. What they don't see every week is that these players don't read from the same page. 

It's Fred the Wolves fan saying "Cyrus Christie on his day can terrorise us. He could be a superb RB"

But Fred doesn't see how Cyrus hurts Tom Ince. 

That was the beauty of 2013/14. Nobody knew Craig Bryson. Nobody understood why unknown players like Jeff Hendrick and Craig Forsyth were suddenly tearing it up. It's because we found the potential with the partnerships all over the pitch. Bryson and Martin didn't turn awesome overnight any more than Bradley Johnson turned crap and downed tools. But they were used as a pair. The sword and shield if you like. 

I see very few partnerships here. I don't even know how Derby play anymore. It's all individual. One week it's a passing side containing Shackell/Pearce, Cyrus and Olsson (groan). Then it's a quick counter attacking side with Butterfield and Bryson etc. 

I don't know what to expect from Derby. 

They're boring I know that

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

I don't think the wider outside perception is that Derby are not trying. That's what fans say about their own teams. How many teams have come to Derby and you've thought "they aren't trying!"

There was something by the commo team on Sky (I think it was) where they basically said 'Fulham, Reading or ...(whichever team, my memory isn't great) they wanted it more than Derby. They were talking about promotion/top 6, but there you go, is not wanting it as much, the same as not trying? That was their perception of us.

"They want it more than Derby"

These are key and significant words about our playing staff.  I cannot disagree with that perception of our team because this is the way I see it too.

The 64,000 dollar question is why?  Get to the root cause of that issue and maybe we can find a successful solution.

To me the things that keep springing to mind are ;

lack of motivation.....but why?

Fear factor, but of what?

I believe the common denominator here is a combination of two words, in whatever order you like.........

GREED

MONEY

I have a theory that too many of our players are comfortable at Championship level and terrified of being "found out" if we got promoted to the Premier League. They perform well on enough occasions to keep the fans "nearly satisfied" but then manage to have a dip in performance every time that promotion becomes a real possibility e.g. Reading 0-3 two years ago, Hull 0-3 last year, all of February this year. Whether this is "bottling it" or players not wishing to leave their comfort zone, only they will know.

I don' t think that (the majority of) our players are 'terrifed' of the premier League...I think that (consciously or not) so many of them would be jettisoned for better players, they can't reach the consistency, concentration and commitment that is required.

Other teams in the top 8 have done so to a greater degree. Most of those teams have better balance, better players, more managerial stability (shocked at Leeds' emergence, though!)

There should have been much greater player 'churn' at Derby, managers have been too loysal to ordinary players, and leadership on the pitch is non-existent. Time to grasp the nettle!

Many players achieving promotion are moved on rapidly for a squad upgrade to occur. It's necessary. Remember Smith & McLaren taking us up in their first campaign? Players (that werebetter than the current crop, comparatively) soon got sold for superior ones that could do it at a higher level.

Skipper Van der Laan, anchor forward Ron Willems, goalie Russell Hoult...and others...but we pulled in Asanovic, Wanchope, Poom, Eranio, Baiano....'nuff said!

So many if today's Derby players need shifting. Low achievers, high-earners, a poor return for the investment and a dreadful indictment of their inability to make the best of fantastic training resources, fine stadium and fan base to be envied.

If it was as simple as they're only in it for the money then it wouldn't make sense to be half arsed

What's the longest contract we have out? 5 years on Will Hughes?

Hughes is nearly/if not already 22. 

Would it be a good idea to sit on a 5 year contract collecting the money and doing naff all? If Derby want to sell him and he doesnt want to go then we have to either terminate the contract or let him see it out. Yes, he gets the money

And what will his value be after that? What will his next contract offer be.

You might say "well in 5 years he's earned enough to live happily ever after"

Do you think he thinks like that? Would you? Who does think like that? 

In 5 years time I'd want to be on more money. If I was 22 then at 27 I'd want my career to be better not worse.

And I'd not be thinking how much I can pinch in 5 years. I'd be thinking how much I can make for my kids and grandkids in my 15 year career.

The last contract I sign might be the one that I'd look to make a long expensive one. So in my decline I'm still getting good pay. 

And that's solely motivated by money thinking. 

Who doesn't mind being ***** at their job so long as they get paid? Anyone? Anyone happy to be useless? Irrespective of earnings

I can't buy them being scared of the PL either. 

Look at some of the players at PL level. Look at Jeff Hendrick. Look at Jesse Lingard. How many PL games have Lee Catermole, Titus Bramble, Wes Brown, Giles Agbonlahor etc played

Look at Crystal Palace? Fulham! Wigan!

Wes Morgan is a Premier League Champion. 

There's zero benefit to sticking in this division. With promotion, just promotion without ever kicking a ball in the top flight their value goes up. 

Which players don't want promotion? Let's look at individuals and have some names and see if it makes sense.

I think people overrate our players. I don't think there's a massive mental voodoo. I think confidence plays a huge part in any sport.

I think the problem is more to do with individuals playing as individuals. The only mental problem is that they don't work for each other. They're discipline is poor. They all play their own games. Perhaps what they need is either someone to drag them kicking and screaming to a philosophy that's based on teamwork. Or perhaps they are just a bunch of blokes that just don't compliment each others skill sets.

But keep changing manager just resets the team. Somebody needs time to keep what he wants from who he wants and then get rid of the ones that have no use to him.

Pearson, Clement, Mac2, Rowett... none have had time to do that. And as soon as these players are asked to dig deep they can't. Because there's no team. No identity they all buy into. No philosophy or role that each player knows 

It's nothing to do with effort imo. If they put more effort in, ran further, jumped higher and kicked harder then they'd still not get automatic promotion. We broke the 2014 team. Slowly but surely. 

There's a few that when you put them together in the suitable position they look like they can do something. But then there are another 10 lads that are needed to play a part and they're individuals. Some good, some crap. 

Not a good enough team

22 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Who doesn't mind being ***** at their job so long as they get paid? Anyone? Anyone happy to be useless? Irrespective of earnings

There are lots of people (I bet we can all think of one or two that we work with) in well paid jobs that they aren't very good at. They aren't clamouring to resign or be regraded lower. What's your point?

32 minutes ago, Alpha said:

If it was as simple as they're only in it for the money then it wouldn't make sense to be half arsed

What's the longest contract we have out? 5 years on Will Hughes?

Hughes is nearly/if not already 22. 

Would it be a good idea to sit on a 5 year contract collecting the money and doing naff all? If Derby want to sell him and he doesnt want to go then we have to either terminate the contract or let him see it out. Yes, he gets the money

And what will his value be after that? What will his next contract offer be.

You might say "well in 5 years he's earned enough to live happily ever after"

Do you think he thinks like that? Would you? Who does think like that? 

In 5 years time I'd want to be on more money. If I was 22 then at 27 I'd want my career to be better not worse.

And I'd not be thinking how much I can pinch in 5 years. I'd be thinking how much I can make for my kids and grandkids in my 15 year career.

The last contract I sign might be the one that I'd look to make a long expensive one. So in my decline I'm still getting good pay. 

And that's solely motivated by money thinking. 

Don't forget players get paid a fee every time they move club*!

It completely obliterates the idea that they don't want promotion as they wouldn't get as good wages. They'd likely still get their Derby wages in some form and their new wages on top! 

*Unless a transfer request is handed in. 

If there is a mental fear in our squads heads, it's a fear of failure not success.

The pressure to not be the one to make a mistake leads some of them into a safety first attitude at times, which seems to becoming more frequent over time.

They should look at the captain and follow his example, now there's a fella who will keep trying to do the right thing in games, rather than the easy thing.

Makes him look a fool very occasionally, and leads to the wrong (imo) perception that 'He's always got a mistake in him' tag.

He doesn't let it bother him, and start playing differently, instead he keeps on ploughing his own furrow, often being the starting point of good attacking play, and never shirking the responsibility he's been trusted with.

Someone recently posted how Bucko had to take over giving the motivational talks because the rest of the players just laughed at Keogh.

If that was true, and I have no doubt it isn't, that would say more about the rest of the squads attitude than Keogh's.

9 hours ago, Alpha said:

Maybe the wider audience perception rather than Derby fans. 

That the squad is talented and has potential to achieve promotion but suffers from extreme changes in performance level. They can smash a midtable side 5-0 at home. Then struggle to get a shot off at QPR. 

Got to find that level of performance we can maintain for a season. Some days it won't be enough and we'll lose. Everyone loses.

I have to say I don't agree that there's the potential there that most outsiders do. Outsiders will see some top players and some pretty big names at this level. What they don't see every week is that these players don't read from the same page. 

It's Fred the Wolves fan saying "Cyrus Christie on his day can terrorise us. He could be a superb RB"

But Fred doesn't see how Cyrus hurts Tom Ince. 

That was the beauty of 2013/14. Nobody knew Craig Bryson. Nobody understood why unknown players like Jeff Hendrick and Craig Forsyth were suddenly tearing it up. It's because we found the potential with the partnerships all over the pitch. Bryson and Martin didn't turn awesome overnight any more than Bradley Johnson turned crap and downed tools. But they were used as a pair. The sword and shield if you like. 

I see very few partnerships here. I don't even know how Derby play anymore. It's all individual. One week it's a passing side containing Shackell/Pearce, Cyrus and Olsson (groan). Then it's a quick counter attacking side with Butterfield and Bryson etc. 

I don't know what to expect from Derby. 

They're boring I know that

Youve nailed it when u say about partnerships

i remember in an interview early into nigels spell with us

he talked about endeavour, application and attitude when he was refering about how he was going to try and compensate for our then lack of spending compared to others in the league when we were cutting our cloth under the Americans.

but what really stuck in my mind was when he talked about how we need to get partnerships working around the pitch and players building relationships and an understanding of each others games

is it any cooncidence that brayford and couttes probably played as a pair as well as they did, wardy and forsyth and martin and bryson.

as we know mac took all this onto another level and fair play for that but i think the foundations of players working in tandom had been put in place by clough and is no surprise on macs second coming there was very little evidence of that

granted he didnt have any time to even venture down that route

i think rowett is from the same school as clough to a degree, ie believes in doing the basics right, which for me is the above and i am only very optimistic about what he can do for us IF given the time to implement things 

Archived