Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I don't believe Derby would be so stupid as to loan martin out again.

At his age though he's got to be out playing games rather than sat on our bench getting the odd 10 mins here and there he'd be a class signing for someone till the summer then we can re examine the situation depending what league were in then...

Very risky to be loaning out Martin without getting someone better in first, the last window we mucked up with the midfield and we were saved by ledley being unattached, and if we do get yet another wide player as is being rumoured then doesn’t that mean we will need an actual target man as nugent and Vydra aren’t and winnall isn’t really.

I'm not a fan of this loan idea. I don't see how we would benefit. 

I understand that while Rowett is here, he is unlikely to be anything more than a bit part player and could be replaced with someone more suitable, not better, but certainly more suitable for us. I don't think a loan move achieves that. 

If we lose both Martin & Bent then I imagine we will look to strikers. I doubt Winnall will be made permanent this window, either.

1 minute ago, Ambitious said:

I'm not a fan of this loan idea. I don't see how we would benefit. 

I understand that while Rowett is here, he is unlikely to be anything more than a bit part player and could be replaced with someone more suitable, not better, but certainly more suitable for us. I don't think a loan move achieves that. 

If we lose both Martin & Bent then I imagine we will look to strikers. I doubt Winnall will be made permanent this window, either. 

It seems like we need to clear wages out and replace with cheaper ones, I wouldn’t mind that so much in the summer but not in martin’s case but yes for shackell and Bent

A loan is no good unless it is to make way for the wages of someone decent coming in. I think it is probably time to cash in on Chris Martin. At 29 he probably has 2-3 more years left in him . He isn't as good as Glen Murray and I can't see him being a Premier League player late in his career like Murray.

8 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Martin is the only striker that offers us something different to Nugent/Winnall, if we are to get rid of him then imo we do need to replace him with a powerful & pacey striker...abit like a Darren Bent 10 years ago!

Martin offers something different but there is no point if we don’t have the players to take advantage of that something different and/or that something different requires our team to play drastically different shape and tactics ,,, Martin needs midfielders streaming past him and getting ahead of the ball all the time , we just don’t play that way and we look far more solid for it , at this point we have well drilled well organised team with all knowing their roles ,do we really want to start messing round with that? I for one don’t, I’m happy for our forwards to be doing the forwards work and don’t want to go back to a forward whose main asset is holding the ball up and linking for a very attacking midfield

I believe CM still has something to offer us and we’d be foolish to move him on at this point. We have yet another amazing chance to get that promotion we all crave and he is an option we might need in this next few months. 

However, if like others last summer he wants to move on, that’s a different ball game. 

3 minutes ago, Warren Hobhead said:

I believe CM still has something to offer us and we’d be foolish to move him on at this point. We have yet another amazing chance to get that promotion we all crave and he is an option we might need in this next few months. 

However, if like others last summer he wants to move on, that’s a different ball game. 

I agree with all of that but if we are to strengthen other areas we need some income and Martin is our best chance of getting any.

Anya, Shackell and Bent would probably fetch a fiver between them as we are not exactly being swamped with offers.

p.s.autocorrect changed Anya to Tanya which would be a great nickname for him!

8 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

I agree with all of that but if we are to strengthen other areas we need some income and Martin is our best chance of getting any.

Anya, Shackell and Bent would probably fetch a fiver between them as we are not exactly being swamped with offers.

p.s.autocorrect changed Anya to Tanya which would be a great nickname for him!

I would keep Martin, get the wage bill down through getting Anya, Bent and Shacks out, even on loan, free up wages to bring a couple of loans in and then see where we are in the summer...

2 hours ago, Harrowram said:

A loan is no good unless it is to make way for the wages of someone decent coming in. I think it is probably time to cash in on Chris Martin. At 29 he probably has 2-3 more years left in him . He isn't as good as Glen Murray and I can't see him being a Premier League player late in his career like Murray.

Very difficult to know how he would go in the premiership depending on formations etc remembering Ron Willems was very useful in the premiership for one season as we settled in

If GR can loan Martin out and and loan somebody in for 3 months that will add to our team I guess it’s a decent deal.

Its fairly obvious that GR doesn’t feel like he can start Martin in games to give us the platform we need and seeing as he hasn’t even been brought off the bench in recent games, I’d guess GR doesn’t think he can make an impact off the bench either.

We can’t go the rest of the season with only 2 strikers though, if Martin goes he will have to be replaced, it’s imperative.

1 hour ago, archied said:

Martin offers something different but there is no point if we don’t have the players to take advantage of that something different and/or that something different requires our team to play drastically different shape and tactics ,,, Martin needs midfielders streaming past him and getting ahead of the ball all the time , we just don’t play that way and we look far more solid for it , at this point we have well drilled well organised team with all knowing their roles ,do we really want to start messing round with that? I for one don’t, I’m happy for our forwards to be doing the forwards work and don’t want to go back to a forward whose main asset is holding the ball up and linking for a very attacking midfield

I understand this but if we are chasing the game late he is a different option off the bench so we can go more direct and put the opposition under pressure. We haven't had to do this much with our current run but there will be a time we need a goal in the last 10 minutes and a change of tactics would be needed.

Archived