Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

12 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

so you agree then

I am a Chris Martin fan so I agree with you that he doesn't deserve to be slagged off. However I wouldn't be adverse to seeing Leeds spend a large slice of Chris Wood's transfer fee on Chris Martin provided Rowett is able to use the money constructively to strengthen the squad.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, DesertRam said:

He was a 20+ goal a season player for 3 seasons, not many can say that, and he deserves

to be able to play regularly. Hope someone comes in for him with a good bid, and wish him

all the best. Prefer the system we have now, and hopefully it will get us to the promised land.

He's been a brilliant signing and particularly under SM and the way he set his team up to play, Martin has been one of the best in the Championship in the hold-up striker role. If he doesn't fit how GR plays then it doesn't make him any less effective in the right side - after all he still scored 10 last season for Fulham in the 27 matches (equivalent to 17 in a full season).

PistoldPete2
3 hours ago, Sparkle said:

Oh no,Bobby Davison all over again, I don’t think I could stomach that and it’s not like they would pay us anything ( still owe us money for Seth Johnson ) 

Seth Johnson was at leeds for about 5 years from 2001 to 2006, then he joined us on a free transfer so how did Leeds still owe money on him?

20 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Seth Johnson was at leeds for about 5 years from 2001 to 2006, then he joined us on a free transfer so how did Leeds still owe money on him?

He made just 59 appearances, suffering injury after injury, and after eventually working his way back to fitness found himself frozen out because one more appearance would trigger a further payment to Derby which Leeds couldn’t afford at the time.

1 hour ago, PistoldPete2 said:

As highlighted above, I also said they didn’t actually owe money but that they failed to pay what was reported

PistoldPete2
7 hours ago, Kinder said:

Unless we’re desperate for cash it would be madness to sell him to a promotion rival. Surely it’s better to keep him until the summer.

His only contributions so far this season have been helping us see out games  by holding the ball up. He scored only one goal and that counted for nothing as we were 4-1 down with 90 mins gone. I like Martin but he does look surplus to requirements unless we get injuries. 

25 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

His only contributions so far this season have been helping us see out games  by holding the ball up. He scored only one goal and that counted for nothing as we were 4-1 down with 90 mins gone. I like Martin but he does look surplus to requirements unless we get injuries. 

I am pretty sure I saw him staring two games in December which we won and him playing up front and looking very decent !

57 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Agreed he’s not getting a look in at Derby at the moment so isn’t able to contribute, but if we let him go to Leeds / Boro / Fulham and they play to his strengths, he will score goals. Guaranteed. I’d rather he sit on our bench than that, assuming we don’t need him off the wage bill to do other business. I can’t see him here next season as he doesn’t seem to be in GR’s plans and would fetch a fee, but I don’t think we should sell him his month.

There's several players that should be sold before Martin. Anya, shackell, Hanson and Bent for starters. I'd even go as far as letting them go for free to give us an extra £80k per week in wages that them going would free up.

we always struggle against teams that come to park the bus. Martin is one of our better options for unlocking those defences with neat interplay.

he has looked poor in his last couple of end of match inclusions. He'd benefit from a couple of under 23 games to get that sharpness back.

1 hour ago, EnigmaRam said:

There's several players that should be sold before Martin. Anya, shackell, Hanson and Bent for starters. I'd even go as far as letting them go for free to give us an extra £80k per week in wages that them going would free up.

If you let them go for free then you would have to pay their contracts off so you'd not be in any better position, they wouldn't take a drop in wages as no other club would be mad enough to pay what they're earning currently here.

37 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

If you let them go for free then you would have to pay their contracts off so you'd not be in any better position, they wouldn't take a drop in wages as no other club would be mad enough to pay what they're earning currently here.

Exactly  GR made a big point about you can always move players on by just not involving them Well that don't seem to be working does it Inglorious is right no other club would pay them what there earning here  Afraid they are milking us and not much we can do about it Someone may offer Shacks a short term contract but that's about it Doubt even Nigel would want them 

Archived