Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

Everyone will have a part to play. Subs have won us games. Players coming in have won us games. Who would have thought Baird would have taken right back? Nugent, vydra, winnal won't be injury free until the end of the season so Martin will get his chance unless he's sold and we replace him. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Sparkle said:

That’s true enough but Huddlestone Davies Ledley are 30’s but helping considerably to us being 2nd in the league 

I am not saying that Chris Martin is surplus to requirements or that he doesn't have a part to play in the remaining games. However I doubt he will be part of Rowett's plans should Derby get promoted and if Wolves dangle £7 million for his transfer it would take a brave person not to be tempted.

6 minutes ago, Harrowram said:

I am not saying that Chris Martin is surplus to requirements or that he doesn't have a part to play in the remaining games. However I doubt he will be part of Rowett's plans should Derby get promoted and if Wolves dangle £7 million for his transfer it would take a brave person not to be tempted.

Rowett needs to cut the wage bill. Selling a player on bigger wages and who isn't first choice makes sense. 

people have short memories.

need to remember that winnall is not our player, and nugent can't play week in week out.

Chris is stuck on the bench at the moment but his time will come.

We could find ourselves in a game where we have to put on extra strikers instead of extra defenders. Then his strength, and other qualities could be exactly what we need.

2 minutes ago, RamNut said:

people have short memories.

need to remember that winnall is not our player, and nugent can't play week in week out.

Chris is stuck on the bench at the moment but his time will come.

We could find ourselves in a game where we have to put on extra strikers instead of extra defenders. Then his strength, and other qualities could be exactly what we need.

No I just think people are realistic. He's been told to trim the squad. You can only sell players that are wanted by other clubs. Bigger earners that aren't first choice are the ideal players to sell. It's not an ideal world. Year on year from our accounts we are getting in more debt. This is just an example regardless who else we sell. Sell Martin for £4m and sign a striker for £1m. Profit of £3m and potentially say 20k wages. Or if bent doesn't go else where there is no need to sign anyone else. Say £30k+ off wage bill and £4m profit. We need to get rid urgently and can only sell players that other clubs want. 

7 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Rowett needs to cut the wage bill. Selling a player on bigger wages and who isn't first choice makes sense. 

In that case he could attempt to move Anya and Shackell on to loan deals with other clubs. By my calculations he raised around £4 million in net transfer fees over the summer from the sales of Ince , Hughes and Christie. Bent could also go out on loan until the end of his contract in the summer.

I am not sure that Derby absolutely need to sign anyone unless players get injured during January or a very good player is offered at a competitive price.

23 minutes ago, Derbyram1983 said:

No I just think people are realistic. He's been told to trim the squad. You can only sell players that are wanted by other clubs. Bigger earners that aren't first choice are the ideal players to sell. It's not an ideal world. Year on year from our accounts we are getting in more debt. This is just an example regardless who else we sell. Sell Martin for £4m and sign a striker for £1m. Profit of £3m and potentially say 20k wages. Or if bent doesn't go else where there is no need to sign anyone else. Say £30k+ off wage bill and £4m profit. We need to get rid urgently and can only sell players that other clubs want. 

If we go up the financial landscape will be totally different.

Problem with any deal you broker for Martin is the fact he signed a long term deal on bigger wages last January.So unless someone matches that he has no incentive to leave unless he wants more regular football, and the number of club's with the ability to pick up his wages is limited, short of a premiership club which is unlikely.

1 hour ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Does he? I haven't seen that stated.

I've seen GR say that he would prefer to work with a smaller squad, and fair enough, but he's nothing if not a pragmatist, and there must be an argument for keeping the squad together, including everyone who's made a contribution so far.

45 minutes ago, needles said:

Does he? I haven't seen that stated.

I've seen GR say that he would prefer to work with a smaller squad, and fair enough, but he's nothing if not a pragmatist, and there must be an argument for keeping the squad together, including everyone who's made a contribution so far.

Spot on, if we were able to go up then it is a whole new financial landscape but we need to go up and basically we may not get a bigger chance than the one we currently have this season

If I bid came in from a prem club [cannot see that happening] then we offload him.  if not he stays on the bench.

Do a deal for SW till end of the season regardless.

If we do get promotion GR would have to offload the bulk of the squad anyway and bring in a dozen new players, so why its see where we are come May?

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 20:03, TuffLuff said:

Judging by Rowetts interview it seems like he’s still part of the plans...nice to see us winning these games even without our best player on the pitch. Wait until he’s playing every week ;)

Vydra  has played most games this season....:thumbsup:

15 hours ago, Derbyram1983 said:

Is the highlighted part true?

I thought year on year Mel was losing more money, rather than us getting further and further into debt?

4 hours ago, toddy said:

If I bid came in from a prem club [cannot see that happening] then we offload him.  if not he stays on the bench.

Do a deal for SW till end of the season regardless.

If we do get promotion GR would have to offload the bulk of the squad anyway and bring in a dozen new players, so why its see where we are come May?

I really don't think we would have to bring in a dozen players nor get rid of the bulk of ours. The grass isn't always greener. Cherish what you've got!

1 hour ago, TomG said:

It would appear that some want rid of CM, that's all well and good but, then to bring someone like Cameron Jerome in?  It's a big fat NO from me!

I wonder what the Martin haters reaction would be if this deal happened then they realised we'd sold one of the best strikers we've had in the past 15 years for someone who can't pass, shoot, cross or control a football but is 'big and fast' and 'wurks propa 'ard'.

Archived