Chris Martin - joined Reading on loan until the end of the season

DcFc Dyycheee

10 minutes ago, StivePesley said:

If promotion is the primary aim, I wouldn't sell him in Jan.

I'd rather he sat on the bench with a mardy face than loan/sell him to a rival at this stage

If one of the other strikers get injured we'll be glad that we have another established Championship striker to call on. It's a long stretch now till the end of the season and historically this is where we struggle, so depth of squad is crucial

Yes it would be nice to addsome more flare or some more pace but if we don't need to sell Martin to add that then why bother?

If we do get promoted, we can sell him to a Championship team for a few mill anyway in the summer

To be honest, I’d rather keep Martin for  the Prem over the other strikers...

Either way, id rather Rowett came out and said something about the situation. It’s very quiet and I’m worried reading in his post match comments that Nugent was ‘fresh and ready’ over Winnall with no mention of Martin (and it was quite clear in the game that Nugent was not).

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Unfortunately, just sat on the bench, he's an asset whose value is depreciating under Rowett.

Or he’s unfortunately behind 3 strikers who have contributed more into getting the team to 2nd place as 3rd top scorers..... bench is where he’s at. Has to fight for a game now instead of not having to  worry about Nick Blackman taking his place.

Was the big fish for 2 and a bit seasons..... we now have 3 more of them..... has to fight it out. I imagine Gary has far more insight than any of us at training to determine who starts.

This is 2018..... 2013/14/15 long gone. 

3 hours ago, StivePesley said:

If promotion is the primary aim, I wouldn't sell him in Jan.

I'd rather he sat on the bench with a mardy face than loan/sell him to a rival at this stage

If one of the other strikers get injured we'll be glad that we have another established Championship striker to call on. It's a long stretch now till the end of the season and historically this is where we struggle, so depth of squad is crucial

Yes it would be nice to addsome more flare or some more pace but if we don't need to sell Martin to add that then why bother?

If we do get promoted, we can sell him to a Championship team for a few mill anyway in the summer

We’d really be on fire then !

11 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Or he’s unfortunately behind 3 strikers who have contributed more into getting the team to 2nd place as 3rd top scorers...

Not been given a good run of starts - he could have scored many of the goals we've scored. At the beginning of the season Rowett gave him the old 'your in my plans' bananas and then dropped him after Sunderland. He choose to get Winnall in who can run about and put him in front of Martin. Why not be honest and say 'I'm not gonna play you, your face don't fit?' Because a bit like no doubt he did to Hughes he'd rather it seemed like he'd had to regretfully sell a good servant to the club. I see no reason why Hughes couldn't have done what Huddleston has contributed. Same with Martin instead of Winnall.

Rowett likes to talk a good talk, but there's lots of double speak in there.

3 hours ago, TuffLuff said:

To be honest, I’d rather keep Martin for  the Prem over the other strikers...

Either way, id rather Rowett came out and said something about the situation. It’s very quiet and I’m worried reading in his post match comments that Nugent was ‘fresh and ready’ over Winnall with no mention of Martin (and it was quite clear in the game that Nugent was not).

LMAO

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Not been given a good run of starts - he could have scored many of the goals we've scored. At the beginning of the season Rowett gave him the old 'your in my plans' bananas and then dropped him after Sunderland. He choose to get Winnall in who can run about and put him in front of Martin. Why not be honest and say 'I'm not gonna play you, your face don't fit?' Because a bit like no doubt he did to Hughes he'd rather it seemed like he'd had to regretfully sell a good servant to the club. I see no reason why Hughes couldn't have done what Huddleston has contributed. Same with Martin instead of Winnall.

He could have scored all those Vydra and Nugent goals ? LMAO 

get a grip

19 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Or he’s unfortunately behind 3 strikers who have contributed more into getting the team to 2nd place as 3rd top scorers..... bench is where he’s at. Has to fight for a game now instead of not having to  worry about Nick Blackman taking his place.

Was the big fish for 2 and a bit seasons..... we now have 3 more of them..... has to fight it out. I imagine Gary has far more insight than any of us at training to determine who starts.

I always find the 13/14/15 a bit disingenuous and completely missing the point.

More interested in what he can contribute now and to be honest I see games like yesterday in which his attributes were needed are once again unused (ie someone who looks to hold the ball and pass/keep the ball upfront rather than counter attack ‘hopeful’ flicks. Is that because of a stubborn manager or a player not putting in the work? Dunno, but Rowett has described Martin as a ‘model professional’ so I know which side is plump for.

1 minute ago, TuffLuff said:

For a wind up merchant you bite very easily...

He could look back over Martin's goals and the skill he has and say no he couldn't, but that'd be a lie. All Martin lacks over the other strikers is physical pace, but he's not that slow. He is also quicker of football thought than Vydra & Nuge, and maybe Winnall is on a par (I've not seen enough).

26 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

I’ll ask again, as you never answer. Who would you rather have than Rowett?

Regarding Hughes. I think he deserved his chance at a premier league club, don’t you? Do you really think at the start of the season we would be where we are with 20 games to go? I know I didn’t.

For all talk of “double speak” etc..... I’d say the results are talking for themselves..... something I can’t believe a Derby fan wouldn’t like. 

2 hours ago, jimbobram said:

Have we found out who Wolves' 8mil man is yet ? Sounds like a bluff

At the NYE party I attended this year, I met a couple of wolves fans – one of which is the son of a director at the club.

I quizzed him on the Martin link, and he confirmed they had made at least one solid offer previously (which was rejected). He said they're still interested, but there's another player they're more keen on now (probably Nelson Oliveira – I forget the name but it was a foreign player). They'd only come back in for Martin if that falls through.

(Full disclaimer:  I was sloshed at the time so take the info with a generous serving of salt).

22 minutes ago, TuffLuff said:

I always find the 13/14/15 a bit disingenuous and completely missing the point.

More interested in what he can contribute now and to be honest I see games like yesterday in which his attributes were needed are once again unused (ie someone who looks to hold the ball and pass/keep the ball upfront rather than counter attack ‘hopeful’ flicks. Is that because of a stubborn manager or a player not putting in the work? Dunno, but Rowett has described Martin as a ‘model professional’ so I know which side is plump for.

Think it isn’t disingenuous at all harping back..... some will never forgive Keogh and for any mistake he makes (which are pretty rare) people will harp back.

Do think fans would love to see us playing that kind of football again, but I’d know what I’d rather have. What we got now. Do think folk can’t let go of one of the best seasons for a long time because of the mediocrity before it.

Our football is different now, it’s getting results. Is it perfect? Probably not, has Rowett made mistakes? Probably yes..... but, if the criticisms of the guy is that there’s “double speak” and he’s “stubborn” then I gladly show them the table on January 2nd.....

32 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

He could look back over Martin's goals and the skill he has and say no he couldn't, but that'd be a lie. All Martin lacks over the other strikers is physical pace, but he's not that slow. He is also quicker of football thought than Vydra & Nuge, and maybe Winnall is on a par (I've not seen enough).

I never quite get the people who say a player isn’t good enough for the prem. People see it a big gulf but players like Adam Smith, Hendrick, Ibe, Ince seem to be doing fine. I can’t see how a Scottish international, or even the vast majority of our first team squad would find it a step too far to be fair (aside the more experienced ones).

17 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Our football is different now, it’s getting results. Is it perfect? Probably not, has Rowett made mistakes? Probably yes..... but, if the criticisms of the guy is that there’s “double speak” and he’s “stubborn” then I gladly show them the table on January 2nd.....

As posters know it's not the table now that matters (apparently!) it's where we are in May.

18 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Think it isn’t disingenuous at all harping back..... some will never forgive Keogh and for any mistake he makes (which are pretty rare) people will harp back.

Do think fans would love to see us playing that kind of football again, but I’d know what I’d rather have. What we got now. Do think folk can’t let go of one of the best seasons for a long time because of the mediocrity before it.

Well if the people saying ‘stop harping back’ are the people harping back then I’d consider that ingenious, because it means you are missing the point. I don’t think anyone is questioning Rowett really either, you have gone off on a tangent there. I’ve said earlier I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing he is a stubborn, just sometimes works against him.

All I think is that there are games Martin’s attributes are needed, yesterday was one of them. Sometimes Rowett proves me wrong but I don’t think he did yesterday and he didn’t against Hull (sure did against Ipswich though). There’s been a run of games where our inability to hold the ball upfront is causing a problem, and that’s ok to discuss, especially when Nugent was poor yesterday.

Chris Martin will not get a move to the prem.

Only teams that would be interested are teams challenging for autos or playoffs, even if he doesn't start for us, there is absolutely no sense in selling him to a rival, whom he will undoubtedly make stronger, and weaken our options..... bar a ridiculous bid.

He is still a top top player for this league, and when you play to his strengths he will bag consistently. Yes the current pairing of vydra and Nugent is working, and winnall is producing when he comes on, but we are much better for having the Chris Martin option available than for not.

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Chris Martin- 834 minutes played, goals 1, assists 0

Sam Winnall- 506 minutes played, 6 goals, 1 assist

Martin had a go in the first two games and we were poor, he doesn’t fit the system (that is working very successful), and quite clearly has been the poorest of our four forwards this season. That’s not to say he doesn’t have a part to play, I’d keep him myself, nuge isn’t getting any younger and we need another hold up man, but to use it as a stick to beat Rowett by is ridiculous. Martin is no longer our best striker, and Rowett has quite rightly built the team around vydra, who could well hit more goals this season than Martin did in any single season. 

On the Hughes point I won’t deny Rowett sold him too cheaply, but as brilliant as Hughes was, his passing range is not the same as Huddlestones. He has the ability to take a defence apart with one ball, as he has done at times this season. Regardless we are second in the division, Rowett has justified many of his decisions with that placement so far.

Archived