Bell Hotel Fans Forum 9/5/17

Curtains

1 hour ago, curtains said:

19:41  Rowett wants a top two spot

Gary Rowett: “I genuinely think at the very, very least we can challenge for the top two positions.”

19:50  Rowett on the type of players he might be looking at …

GR: “We are looking for character and value, and we will not recruit anyone who does not have the drive to take Derby County forward.”

20:27  Rowett on his opinion of Derby’s team when in charge at Birmingham …

GR: “In my opinion, you knew what Derby County were going to do – it was difficult to stop but it was predictable.”

20:25  Morris on owning Derby County …

MM: “It has been a real baptism of fire. I don’t think anything can prepare you for taking control of Derby County”

I don't recall anyone posting any of these snippets, so good on ya @curtains

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, David said:

GR: “We are looking for character and value, and we will not recruit anyone who does not have the drive to take Derby County forward.”

13 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

I don't recall anyone posting any of these snippets, so good on ya @curtains

Slightly different wording if we're being nit picky. Wasn't having a pop at Curtains, just letting him know most of it has already been posted.

13 minutes ago, David said:

Slightly different wording if we're being nit picky. Wasn't having a pop at Curtains, just letting him know most of it has already been posted.

I know you weren't having a go mate but I also agree with Simmo. 

Bucko is back

5 hours ago, angieram said:

I don't think this is true. It was said  recently that the clause for Bent was activated back in January. With Baird, I gather much more recent.

Not disagreeing with you on how we might feel about it, though.

Purely my guess based on nothing much, but:

I felt it was a bit too coincidental that Darren Bents contract extension was announced, rumours straight away came out saying Mel and rowett were not happy, days later Sam Rush was sacked.

Not sure if anyone picked up on Darren Bents tweet with 3 thumbs up and laughing faces, just after the contract extension was announced, which to me seemed like a jibe at getting one over on the club with the sneaky extra year.

My gut feeling is the extra year was triggered by rowett, but he didn't know about it Until Bents agent was on the phone saying see you next year. 

Rowett would prefer to say it was done in Jan and only just announced, rather than saying he accidentally triggered it.

23 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Not sure if anyone picked up on Darren Bents tweet with 3 thumbs up and laughing faces, just after the contract extension was announced, which to me seemed like a jibe at getting one over on the club with the sneaky extra year.

That seems unlikely - They explained very simply that the terms of the contract were fairly standard - If they play in enough games they get an extra year - Rowett stated that yesterday

Everyone would have know that clause and Pearson and Smacca would have know about them when choosing their sides

2 hours ago, curtains said:

Gary Rowett: “I genuinely think at the very, very least we can challenge for the top two positions.”

Wow, talk about heaping pressure on yourself. Does that mean he considers top 6 a failure? 

Big statement that

3 hours ago, curtains said:

What more is there to do than challenge for a top two spot? Is he thinking we might challenge for a top 2 spot and also do the FA Cup and League Cup double?!?

11 minutes ago, Stedcfc said:

What more is there to do than challenge for a top two spot? Is he thinking we might challenge for a top 2 spot and also do the FA Cup and League Cup double?!?

You could say he's being a tad naive and holding himself hostage to fortune. However, I don't think it's in GR's character to mince words and dance around the issue. He says that himself ("I'm not going to dodge the issue, I'll tell it like it is...") and I think that's why he's struck up such a good understanding with MM. I really believe that he genuinely thinks we will be up there next season. BTW "one" of the pre-season games will comprise 2 90 minute games! That's how thorough GR's and Derby County's pre-season will be. Yes, 2 games on the same night. ?

3 hours ago, curtains said:

Is it possible to aim higher than the top 2 positions lol.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Purely my guess based on nothing much, but:

I felt it was a bit too coincidental that Darren Bents contract extension was announced, rumours straight away came out saying Mel and rowett were not happy, days later Sam Rush was sacked.

My gut feeling is the extra year was triggered by rowett, but he didn't know about it Until Bents agent was on the phone saying see you next year. 

Rowett would prefer to say it was done in Jan and only just announced, rather than saying he accidentally triggered it.

Totally agree. Except for the rowett bit.

i bet once he'd played 20 games it was automatic.

the timing seems to be very significant.

50 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Totally agree. Except for the rowett bit.

i bet once he'd played 20 games it was automatic.

the timing seems to be very significant.

I thought I read (maybe heard) playing 50% of the games this season.

22 minutes ago, rynny said:

I thought I read (maybe heard) playing 50% of the games this season.

Bent made his 23rd league appearance of the season on 21st Jan v Reading, so the timing certainly fits with the party line.

Archived