Steve McClaren on sky sports news tomorrow from 10am

Sexydadbod

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

I don't disagree with your assessment on signings but I disagree with your reasoning on why we were bad - We were bad because basically NONE of the players were good enough

David Jones and Tyrone Mears were the only players to go on to play at a decent level - Everyone else ended up lower-end Championship or lower...

Yeah we were bad.

But all that 'it was a 3-year plan, we're too early' didn't help either...though that was just another example of Billy boy bigging up his own self-importance aswell of course lol

One of the most disappointing memories of that whole lousy season was Howard and Oakley - two promotion heroes - jumping the sinking ship to go and join the poison dwarf at Leicester...

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

One of the most disappointing memories of that whole lousy season was Howard and Oakley - two promotion heroes - jumping the sinking ship to go and join the poison dwarf at Leicester...

I feel like your memories of that time might be a little clouded (I try and forget that time too)

Howard and Oakley were pretty much forced out - Oakley definitely didn't want to leave and Howard had just scored his one and only Premier League goal... Oakley was given the boot cos he was our Captain and they wanted to bring in Savage and make him captain as far as I remember

Also Davies never went to Leicester... Think it would have been Holloway? Or maybe even Pearson?

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

What people seem to forget about our squad in the prem was that it was largely made up of the same players we got promoted with, and the squad we got promoted with was almost exactly the same as the squad that finished just above the relegation zone the season before.

Fluke promotion, we were a mid-table Championship team, in my opinion. 

Leacock, Lupoli/Stead, Oakley, Howard, Jones, Camara and Bywater were all August 06 signings who became regulars.

Then we signed Pearson, Teale, Fagan, McEveley and Mears in the January. 

The squad was very much different from 05/06.  

17 minutes ago, cannable said:

Leacock, Lupoli/Stead, Oakley, Howard, Jones, Camara and Bywater were all August 06 signings who became regulars.

Then we signed Pearson, Teale, Fagan, McEveley and Mears in the January. 

The squad was very much different from 05/06.  

Those numbers dont equal "very much different" in my opinion, but besides that doesn't change the point.

The point is our squad in the premiership was a mid-table Championship squad at best.

8 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Those numbers dont equal "very much different" in my opinion, but besides that doesn't change the point.

The point is our squad in the premiership was a mid-table Championship squad at best.

That's over half of the starting XI replaced…

Smith, Idiakez, Kenna, Mills, Hajto, Grant, Camp and Nyatanga sold, released or loaned, Addison back to the academy. 

The aformention plus Ryan Smith and Malcolm in. 

Lots of upheaval in that August.

Your point was that a Championship team that scraped past relegation overachieved the year after. In reality we built a solid, no thrills team which could churn out results in spite of performances.

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

In reality we built a solid, no thrills team which could churn out results in spite of performances.

Who proceeded to get pounded on in the Premier League - Hence back to the original point that Mel has stated he doesn't want that to happen again

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

That's over half of the starting XI replaced…

Smith, Idiakez, Kenna, Mills, Hajto, Grant, Camp and Nyatanga sold, released or loaned, Addison back to the academy. 

The aformention plus Ryan Smith and Malcolm in. 

Lots of upheaval in that August.

Your point was that a Championship team that scraped past relegation overachieved the year after. In reality we built a solid, no thrills team which could churn out results in spite of performances.

We overachieved, regardless of whether or not the squad was the same.

Ok, I was clearly wrong to suggest it was the same team but the team we built was still ****. 

25 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Who proceeded to get pounded on in the Premier League - Hence back to the original point that Mel has stated he doesn't want that to happen again

I agree.

But SaintRam's original point about Abbas team just getting lucky and that was the reason seemed at odds with this point of view.

48 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

I feel like your memories of that time might be a little clouded (I try and forget that time too)

Howard and Oakley were pretty much forced out - Oakley definitely didn't want to leave and Howard had just scored his one and only Premier League goal... Oakley was given the boot cos he was our Captain and they wanted to bring in Savage and make him captain as far as I remember

Also Davies never went to Leicester... Think it would have been Holloway? Or maybe even Pearson?

Interesting... that's certainly not how I remember it, and my memory's normally pretty good on most things Derby County..

I'm sure there was talk at the time of Davis at least going to Leicester after we'd sacked him, and when Oakley and Howard suddenly tipped up there it did smack of Billy's influence...

Dunno, maybe your right... though I do distinctly remember Howard's last game for Derby when he missed a penalty that would've put us 2-0 up against Blackburn and then within minutes we were 2-1 down!

Still, like you say, maybe the old memory bank's become a bit clouded about a season I think we'd all rather forget....!

5 minutes ago, cannable said:

I agree.

But SaintRam original point about Abbas team just getting lucky and that was the reason seemed at odds with this point of view.

Mama mia, here we go again.

I guess you could say the winner takes it all, money, money, money, and you end up like a dancing queen, don't you think Fernando?

I reckon Rowett said to Mel gimme! gimme! gimme! knowing me knowing you, take a chance on me cos I am a super trouper, and if it doesn't work you can send out an S.O.S

:ph34r:

1 minute ago, rynny said:

Mama mia, here we go again.

I guess you could say the winner takes it all, money, money, money, and you end up like a dancing queen, don't you think Fernando?

I reckon Rowett said to Mel gimme! gimme! gimme! knowing me knowing you, take a chance on me cos I am a super trouper, and if it doesn't work you can send out an S.O.S

:ph34r:

Auto correct truly is a wonderful thing :lol:

17 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

Interesting... that's certainly not how I remember it, and my memory's normally pretty good on most things Derby County..

I'm sure there was talk at the time of Davis at least going to Leicester after we'd sacked him, and when Oakley and Howard suddenly tipped up there it did smack of Billy's influence...

Dunno, maybe your right... though I do distinctly remember Howard's last game for Derby when he missed a penalty that would've put us 2-0 up against Blackburn and then within minutes we were 2-1 down!

Still, like you say, maybe the old memory bank's become a bit clouded about a season I think we'd all rather forget....!

Simple check of the internet confirms Davies did not go to Leicester. 

20 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

Which bit ? The main bit or the probably not bit :lol:

Come on Ellafella, you're better than that, pick me up by all means for typing sh*te but try not to join the forum pedants for a genuine mistake. :)

I think you may be right that Mac laughing and joking with Hughton lead to his sacking. Didn't see it myself. Popped out for a few before the game. Had more than I meant to (but not as many as I wanted!) so missed seeing it. On the plus side didn't remember much of the game either!! :whistle:

1 hour ago, 1967Ram said:

I think you may be right that Mac laughing and joking with Hughton lead to his sacking. Didn't see it myself. Popped out for a few before the game. Had more than I meant to (but not as many as I wanted!) so missed seeing it. On the plus side didn't remember much of the game either!! :whistle:

Didn't a tea lady get sacked once by someone for laughing?

2 hours ago, 1967Ram said:

I,m sure it might have wound up Mel but the result and pathetic performance by the players will have been the real 'final straw'. That and the potential for Rowett to take over having a seemingly limited window.

Archived