Steve McClaren on sky sports news tomorrow from 10am

Sexydadbod

39 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

Hmm..

I did wonder where now for Macca...maybe Middleborough? But they've got Agnew in.

Obviously a Sky pundit!

He was doing some course to become a chairman or football director type role previously - dont know if that is still his aim.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I think including Powell is silly, but Wassall counts imo as he was there for a decent time and was there for a sort of trial period. 

To be a manager you need all the Sky Sports breaking news ticker, introduced to the media, holding up a shirt on the pitch then sacked a few months later.

Do we count David Lowe, Chris Hutchings, Mark Lillis, Billy McKewen as ex Managers?

That would also have been Wassall the 2nd

2 minutes ago, GenBr said:

He was doing some course to become a chairman or football director type role previously - dont know if that is still his aim.

I doubt he'll get another decent shot as manager, but I think he'll either get roles as part of the setup at medium sized clubs as a coach or possibly upstairs, or, punditry. His problem with punditry is, everyone will throw his failures at him regardless of how valid or not what he says is.

Just now, David said:

To be a manager you need all the Sky Sports breaking news ticker, introduced to the media, holding up a shirt on the pitch then sacked a few months later.

Do we count David Lowe, Chris Hutchings, Mark Lillis, Billy McKewen as ex Managers?

That would also have been Wassall the 2nd

Wassall managed a lot more game than those managers, he managed over a third of the season plus the play-off games. He had a real chance of becoming Derby's next manager sort of how like Mac 2 was sort of on a trial with his short term contract. 

4 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Mac 1, Clement, Wassall, Pearson, Powell, Mac 2. That is 6 managers. 

Clement's the one I wish we'd given more time to...he's got a fantastic grounding at some of the biggest clubs in the game and look at the improvement he's made at Swansea.

We went top on boxing day last season and, alright, in spite of the team's usual new year dip we were still 5th when he got the elbow.

He only ever talked about auto promo in his interviews as well and I  believe he'd of got us there eventually.

Yes the football wasn't always pretty but he was less kamikaze than McLaren.

Just now, TheDeadlySaul said:

Wassall managed a lot more game than those managers, he managed over a third of the season plus the play-off games. He had a real chance of becoming Derby's next manager sort of how like Mac 2 was sort of on a trial with his short term contract. 

He had a chance but he was still never given the managers job nothing like Mac 2 who was given the job. It's needless stat padding

1 minute ago, DerbyMark said:

Clement's the one I wish we'd given more time to...he's got a fantastic grounding at some of the biggest clubs in the game and look at the improvement he's made at Swansea.

We went top on boxing day last season and, alright, in spite of the team's usual new year dip we were still 5th when he got the elbow.

He only ever talked about auto promo in his interviews as well and I  believe he'd of got us there eventually.

Yes the football wasn't always pretty but he was less kamikaze than McLaren.

His system had been worked out and he didn't show any sign of knowing how to fix it. To his credit, he indentified some of the issues but his 'solutions' were questionable.

Hendrick up front against Preston was horrible. 

1 minute ago, David said:

He had a chance but he was still never given the managers job nothing like Mac 2 who was given the job. It's needless stat padding

I still think it counts, he had his affect on the side and had time to implement his methods onto the team. He had an impact on the club and when he left and Pearson came in the club went in another direction adding to our instability.

Regardless how many managers we have had since Mac 1 - it still does not take away the fact we are currently in our 3rd Manager this season - that is shocking!

Stability with us is firmly gone out of the window.

Question is how long as GR got before the axe does fall?

31 minutes ago, David said:

Sacked dates

Mac 1 - 25th May 2015

Clement - 8th Feb 2016

Pearson - 9th Oct 2016

Mac 2 - 14th March 2017

Whilst I'm not defending the sackings where is this 6 coming from? You can't include Wassall as he was only temp till the end of the season

It suits the Mel-bashing argument to count it as six that's all.

I believe they call this "FAKE NEWS" these days.

Also they double count Mac 1 - if you are going to include Mac 1 then you should take into account his 19 months in charge.

The reality is "Mad Mel" has sacked 4 managers in the 42 months, since Steve was appointed at the beginning of October 2013.

6 minutes ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I still think it counts, he had his affect on the side and had time to implement his methods onto the team. He had an impact on the club and when he left and Pearson came in the club went in another direction adding to our instability.

Think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, even under Mel you make it through one transfer window

3 minutes ago, Saul Pimpson said:

It suits the Mel-bashing argument to count it as six that's all.

I believe they call this "FAKE NEWS" these days.

Also they double count Mac 1 - if you are going to include Mac 1 then you should take into account his 19 months in charge.

The reality is "Mad Mel" has sacked 4 managers in the 41 months, since Steve was appointed at the beginning of October 2013.

IMG_1807.GIF

Think pretty much everything he said was fair - I don't understand how we're sacking managers fro short term results when Mel keeps talking about a long term vision?

I can understand the Clement sacking because he had pre-season with the players, time to work out what he wanted to do and had us playing dire, 'efficient' promotion-right-now-at-any-cost football (which Mel specifically said he didn't want a la Poison Dwarf era). Wassall considered to not have enough experience. Pearson just WRONG from start to finish...

BUT why axe McClaren based on short term results if you're trying to achieve a long term plan? Overall under him we improved vs Pearson and whilst 10th isn't good enough over the long term, this season was a rescue project as far as I'm concerned - What percentage of people in that Poll when McClaren came in said they expected any higher than mid-table? Why wasn't he given the summer to re-group, trim the squad and set out his vision for how we'd move forwards?

Overall it seems very odd behaviour by Morris and this is why I'd like him to be a little clearer about his reasons...

Archived