Steve McClaren on sky sports news tomorrow from 10am

Sexydadbod

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more you think it through ,the more the whole laughing on the touch line whilst his Derby team were lay down lambs of an embarrassment becomes a massive thing to an owner who is a fanatic fan too ? Let's be honest how does a manager daft enough to let himself be seen that way at that time have the slightest hope in hell of instilling the kind of do or die spirit in his players ? Again speculation from me but maybe ,just maybe Mel did bring Pearson in to shake things up and rebuild a team / squad that Mel and a lot of fans felt didn't have the steel to get us up but then lost his bottle a bit when the players downed tools ( let's be honest here they did to a massive extent no matter how you slice it) and brings back Mac ,,, works for a short spell then back to business as usual , we drop the ball and become the keystone cops of football teams again culminating with the Brighton embarrassment and Mel suddenly thinks i was right to want a rebuild with a stronger manager ( though perhaps not Pearson) ,, decides there and then to get Mac out now and rowett in ,,, could also be as simple as rowett was lined up and clever patience by both ( new owners coming in at brum uncertainty) worked out financially better for us and rowett ,, either or any which way I'm glad we have got rid of a stale management merry go round Mac and given a chance to an up and coming ambitious rowett with just the right amount of experience and personality to be really worth a punt? 

Or maybe after the Brighton game, SM left his leather zipped file a fax opened and out popped his latest copy of Razzle, which landied right in the lap of Chairman Mel who then suddenly realised that his coach's plan A's most definitely lowered the tone, his plan B's were far too big and bouncy and as for some of the plan C's, well they were completely shocking and there was only one thing Mel could think of, the sack!

4 hours ago, sunnyhill60 said:

Only football fans would take that touchline incident and read anything negative into it. At most it was a bit of gallows humour. Was any do or die spirit in evidence against Bristol City? Of course it was.

The touchline incident just serves to reinforce what we already believe about Mac - in my case it's a bloke having a laugh with a mate when it's all going wrong at work. Hope I'm not sacked when I do that.

I'm sure I've read that Rowett had been lined up for a while so it was just a question of when.

Sith Happens
8 hours ago, Ellafella said:

..apart from the fact that it was with Hughton not Houghton. Just sayin' :mellow:

8 hours ago, EastHertsRam said:

You know, I wonder how much that laughing and joking with Houghton played a part in sealing his fate. Probably  had none of course but if Mel's sitting there seething at the performance and that flashes up on his screen, he might think, what's so funny Steve ? You're sacked, laugh about that.

There's a time and a place for levity but 3 nil down and playing pony ain't it.

Maybe Steve went to Chris and said 'Houghton we have a problem', que hilarity.

16 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

Christ I've just gone through this whole thread and still don't know who's back doors Collymore used to smash in.  Waste of my time!!!

Patricia Routledge.

itk.

I honestly believe that Mac 2 was nothing but a stop gap and there was no long term plan with him. Something serious had happened with Pearson for him to be sacked in the way he was. We were sitting in the relegation zone, couldn't score for love nor money, at 9 games into the season most good managers are already in work so why not get in a manager who knows most of squad, plays decent football and is good enough to turn fortunes around for a while? It was the safest option IMO. 

Obviously if Mac would have kept winning and kept us around the top 6 Mel wouldn't have needed to change, but whilst we dropped away from the play offs and Rowett was available Mel made his move.

12 hours ago, DerbyMark said:

I'd sooner have dire efficient promotion-right-now-at-any-cost football

Well this is what Uncle Mel has said he specifically doesn't want - Because it's this kind of attitude which made us the worst team in history last time we went up

1 hour ago, cheron85 said:

Well this is what Uncle Mel has said he specifically doesn't want - Because it's this kind of attitude which made us the worst team in history last time we went up

Slightly disagree with that.

What made us the worst team in history was the poison dwarf saying 'we're not ready, we're two years too early' etc 

Having already over achieved, according to that, the players had an excuse to then massively under achieve..

That and the sheer lack of Premiership-quality signings in the close season, of course.

I mean, Eddie Lewis...Claude Davis, god help us lol

Sith Happens
3 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

What made us the worst team in history was the poison dwarf saying 'we're not ready, we're two years too early' etc 

Having already over achieved, according to that, the players had an excuse to then massively under achieve..

That and the sheer lack of Premiership-quality signings in the close season, of course.

I know, when we signed lewis my heart sunk and I knew that was it.

We spent ages chasing a 6 million pound signing who's name eludes me right now, he ended up at Sunderland.

We spent about 6 million in total compared with Sunderland who spent about 40 million.

14 minutes ago, Paul71 said:

I know, when we signed lewis my heart sunk and I knew that was it.

We spent ages chasing a 6 million pound signing who's name eludes me right now, he ended up at Sunderland.

We spent about 6 million in total compared with Sunderland who spent about 40 million.

Kenwyn Jones.

We were also at one point willing to sell Howard and recently signed Earnshaw to fund Nugent. 

Including the January 2007 signings we spent £15,000,000 and I reckon only Jones and Mears were worth even signing.

45 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

I don't disagree with your assessment on signings but I disagree with your reasoning on why we were bad - We were bad because basically NONE of the players were good enough

David Jones and Tyrone Mears were the only players to go on to play at a decent level - Everyone else ended up lower-end Championship or lower...

What people seem to forget about our squad in the prem was that it was largely made up of the same players we got promoted with, and the squad we got promoted with was almost exactly the same as the squad that finished just above the relegation zone the season before.

Fluke promotion, we were a mid-table Championship team, in my opinion. 

On the note of McClaren, and what he says, I don't really care. I don't think I've ever heard Steve say anything interesting or different from "standard manager responses" since he was England manager. 

26 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

What people seem to forget about our squad in the prem was that it was largely made up of the same players we got promoted with, and the squad we got promoted with was almost exactly the same as the squad that finished just above the relegation zone the season before.

On the note of McClaren, and what he says, I don't really care. I don't think I've ever heard Steve say anything interesting or different from "standard manager responses" since he was England manager. 

Did you not see his interview in dutch? :lol:

32 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

My point exactly - Although I think calling us a mid-table team at that point is generous

Archived