Steve McClaren on sky sports news tomorrow from 10am

Sexydadbod

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

At a cost of how much? 

3 hours ago, Anon said:

Mel definitely would've been able to prise Rowett away from Birmingham if he was a preferred candidate over McClaren. Trying to apply logic to Mel's scattergun approach to recruitment is like a broken pencil, pointless.

Guess who's CV was first through the door after Clement was sacked

1 hour ago, cannable said:

You just can't help yourself can you?

Martin, Butters, McClaren… any opportunity to have a pop.

In fairness at least that had some colour to it. I don't agree but found it funny.

2 hours ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

We were on a downward spiral, heading for league 1 and Mac was bought in to steady the ship, rebuild in the summer and go again next year. He certainly stopped the dive, got us within touching distance, but it started going wrong again. For me though, I hoped Mac was seeing exactly who was up for the fight.

I defend Mel constantly, but I don't think you can blame Mac for being disappointed. Mel did nothing but put substance to some of the meddling/megalomaniac rumours by sacking Mac for a second time.

You saw on Saturday for the whole first half and the last few minutes, 11 players many of which not up to it.

I would hope that Macs comments today may draw Mel out from the shadows, with him agreeing to an interview with RD and give the fans reassurance and put these silly rumours to bed,  before The Derby away turns out to be a dead end.

When you watch a circus clown does it compel you to write a Times piece of the future of nanotechnology? It's going to take someone and something a little more compelling, credible, and engaging than Steve Mac on Sky expressing any opinion on anything other than his coffee drinking tendencies to draw Mel into the fray.

SM mentioned the volatile atmosphere..........

(Volatile - liable to change rapidly and unpredictably, especially for the worse.

"the political situation was becoming more volatile"

synonyms:tense, strained, fraught, uneasy, uncomfortable, charged, explosive, eruptive, inflammatory, turbulent,......)

Just maybe if SM had won the playoff game at Wembley, or made the play offs and won promotion the following year and not spent the last few months flirting with Newcastle and then on his return this time around, kept us in the top 6 when he got us there, then maybe it shouldn't have been that much of a surprise when his team didn't turn up at Brighton and put in such a negative beaten performance.

And maybe if he had achieved the business in these 3 chances he was already given, he wouldn't require the "unfinished business", or the unstability of having the so called 6 managers in such a short time, because they wouldn't have been required if SM had delivered on his first go at it, or his second season, never mind his third or the possible fourth season go at it.

Did Nigel Clough get on Sky a few days later, stating how surprised he was, and did he use the volatile word and the unimaginative phrase of "unfinished business", and has Billy Davies got a job yet?

27 minutes ago, Inverurie Ram said:

SM mentioned the volatile atmosphere..........

(Volatile - liable to change rapidly and unpredictably, especially for the worse.

"the political situation was becoming more volatile"

synonyms:tense, strained, fraught, uneasy, uncomfortable, charged, explosive, eruptive, inflammatory, turbulent,......)

Just maybe if SM had won the playoff game at Wembley, or made the play offs and won promotion the following year and not spent the last few months flirting with Newcastle and then on his return this time around, kept us in the top 6 when he got us there, then maybe it shouldn't have been that much of a surprise when his team didn't turn up at Brighton and put in such a negative beaten performance.

And maybe if he had achieved the business in these 3 chances he was already given, he wouldn't require the "unfinished business", or the unstability of having the so called 6 managers in such a short time, because they wouldn't have been required if SM had delivered on his first go at it, or his second season, never mind his third or the possible fourth season go at it.

Did Nigel Clough get on Sky a few days later, stating how surprised he was, and did he use the volatile word and the unimaginative phrase of "unfinished business", and has Billy Davies got a job yet?

You're asking far too much of the man. He was missing Martin and Fozzy and Thorne were out so it was impossible to get the team to try, to have a plan, or score v Brighton. Give him a break. Once he figured out what the business was he may have come close to finishing it, honestly.

8 hours ago, cheron85 said:

I can understand the Clement sacking because he had pre-season with the players, time to work out what he wanted to do and had us playing dire, 'efficient' promotion-right-now-at-any-cost football (which Mel specifically said he didn't want a la Poison Dwarf era). 

I'd sooner have dire efficient promotion-right-now-at-any-cost football than the boom and bust rollercoaster of McLaren.

Nearly 10 years now since the poison dwarf got us where most of us believe we should be, whilst the likes of West Brom and Stoke have established themselves in the top flight..

Many fans disolutioned enough with the club's underachievement without McLaren's false dawns.

8 hours ago, DerbyMark said:

Clement's the one I wish we'd given more time to...he's got a fantastic grounding at some of the biggest clubs in the game and look at the improvement he's made at Swansea.

We went top on boxing day last season and, alright, in spite of the team's usual new year dip we were still 5th when he got the elbow.

He only ever talked about auto promo in his interviews as well and I  believe he'd of got us there eventually.

Yes the football wasn't always pretty but he was less kamikaze than McLaren.

Agreed, that'll be 'the one that got away' when he's an established Premier League coach. 

14 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

I'd sooner have dire efficient promotion-right-now-at-any-cost football than the boom and bust rollercoaster of McLaren.

Nearly 10 years now since the poison dwarf got us where most of us believe we should be, whilst the likes of West Brom and Stoke have established themselves in the top flight..

Many fans disolutioned enough with the club's underachievement without McLaren's false dawns.

Those fans who would rather not have false dawns would be much happier down the other end of Brian Clough Way. No dawns of any description there, real or false.

Except Dawny, of course.

PistoldPete2
9 hours ago, ronnieronalde said:

Sounds like he's bitter and holding a grudge :ph34r:

Fancy that.

Almost as bad as billy Davies... Obviously no one is that bitter and twisted.

You know, I wonder how much that laughing and joking with Houghton played a part in sealing his fate. Probably  had none of course but if Mel's sitting there seething at the performance and that flashes up on his screen, he might think, what's so funny Steve ? You're sacked, laugh about that.

There's a time and a place for levity but 3 nil down and playing pony ain't it.

3 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

You know, I wonder how much that laughing and joking with Houghton played a part in sealing his fate. Probably  had none of course but if Mel's sitting there seething at the performance and that flashes up on his screen, he might think, what's so funny Steve ? You're sacked, laugh about that.

I think you may well be right.

7 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

4 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I think you may well be right....

..apart from the fact that it was with Hughton not Houghton. Just sayin' :mellow:

6 minutes ago, 1967Ram said:

I think you may well be right.

Which bit ? The main bit or the probably not bit :lol:

Just now, Ellafella said:

..apart from the fact that it was with Hughton not Houghton. Just sayin' :mellow:

Come on Ellafella, you're better than that, pick me up by all means for typing sh*te but try not to join the forum pedants for a genuine mistake. :)

8 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Which bit ? The main bit or the probably not bit :lol:

Come on Ellafella, you're better than that, pick me up by all means for typing sh*te but try not to join the forum pedants for a genuine mistake. :)

You are right, Easty...how many Derby fans winced at the sight of Mac2 breaking into a joke with CH at 0-3...in that instant, Mac2's fate was sealed. I had visions of MM at home in his high chair, watching his 75 ft flatscreen, stroking his cat which was purring on his knee...:mellow:

7d2fe5c692ce6459059cec40abcf0d2e.png

1 hour ago, eddie said:

Those fans who would rather not have false dawns would be much happier down the other end of Brian Clough Way. No dawns of any description there, real or false.

Except Dawny, of course.

You'ed be alright down there n all Eddie... waving your red flag!

12 minutes ago, EastHertsRam said:

Way I heard it on SSN mac was saying that he got the unexpected phone call on Sunday night.

Allowing for a bit of time to get the formalities in place and legal ducks in rows,  suggests that Friday night is around the time the decision was actually made.

The comment by Mel about pride in the shirt pretty telling. 

Archived