Vydra

Jimbo Ram

6 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I hope he gets a chance next year , because it think in his favoured system in a settled team he will be lethal. You could tell from some games last season just watching his touch that he's a class above some.

I'm not sure why we are thinking this might be the case....I saw nothing of the sort last year at Derby,under any of our four managers....

Hoping he can up his game tho and perform in partnership with Martin....his crazy purchase price needs justifying this season.

• Replies 689
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

I hope he gets a chance next year , because it think in his favoured system in a settled team he will be lethal. You could tell from some games last season just watching his touch that he's a class above some.

I've still got the dream in my head of Martin and him forming some sort of beautiful partnership, as we boss the league proper Burnley style :wub:

14 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I'm not sure why we are thinking this might be the case....I saw nothing of the sort last year at Derby,under any of our four managers....

Hoping he can up his game tho and perform in partnership with Martin....his crazy purchase price needs justifying this season.

He really did show little touches of class that made him stand out from the rest. 

46 minutes ago, RiddingsRam said:

He really did show little touches of class that made him stand out from the rest. 

I agree, I don't know why Rowett abandoned him and Nugent up front as that really worked. Unless he saw enough and decided he wanted to test other things with other players who may or may not be leaving.

1 minute ago, ThePrisoner said:

I agree, I don't know why Rowett abandoned him and Nugent up front as that really worked. Unless he saw enough and decided he wanted to test other things with other players who may or may not be leaving.

Personally, I think it had more to do with the fact that the team, as a whole at that point, was more suited to a 4-3-3. Either way, I expect to see us playing with two strikers, or a striker and a No.10, next season. 

23 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Vydra and Nugent together looked like a good partnership and Vydra shows glimpses of pure class.

Bizzarly Vydra won a penalty which Nugent took, Vydra was taken off at half time and not seen again.

He can be a big player for us.

Vydra, Nugent, Martin partnership :wub:

On 24/06/2017 at 10:12, Nuwtfly said:

The guy won the Championship Player of the Year award in his Watford days. Give him time in a settled position, and watch him flourish!

Bamford won it when he wasn't even the leagues top scorer or Boro's player of the season.

It's a ***** award.

Vydra behind Nugent or Weimann (second choice)

Weimann (first choice) or Nugent playing off Martin. 

I can foresee the Vydra we saw getting in Martin's way. If he can play off a striker then Martin and Vydra first choice. 

Too much running in behind for Weimann and Nuge to work. Pearson tactics that. Too much wanting the ball to feet deep for Martin and the Vydra we saw work.

Martin ain't no battering Ram though, he's not the big man Deeney is.

Give him a directed pass between his head and chest, and he'll bring a teammate into play, but play a long ball forward and he'll come off second best.

Long passes to Martin are food and drink, but if we're expecting him to close down balls into the channel all game long, we're on a hiding to nothing.

Vydra showed under Rowett last season that he can be a very, very useful player for us. The QPR game sticks out in my mind. We won 1-0 but 4-0 wouldn't have flattered us if we had better finishing from all of our forwards. His first touches were classy and very clever. Turned defence into attack very quickly and used his best attributes very well.

Just as Vydra was hitting his stride and playing well, Rowett dropped him. I presume that's because GR had seen enough to know he was in his plans for this season, as I can't imagine he was disappointed with what he saw.

A regular starting spot in a better system for him will hopefully bring more confidence. At stages last year he was very low on confidence and this impacted on his finishing for sure. A confident Vydra will be a worry for most defences.

2 hours ago, ThePrisoner said:

Vydra doesn't wear big enough shoes.

Archived