Could he have done any better?

sage

Did SM inherit a squad capable of a top 6 finish? Could he have a picked a side capable of producing a consistent, successful pattern of play?

Whilst I, like many others had issues with the side picked for Brighton and the substitutions v PNE, was this a poisoned chalice for any manager?  

What side could he have put out with a genuine chance of finishing the play off positions? 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't agree with his sacking, but there were loads of really underwhelming performances post Christmas that didn't make any sense to me. The squad continually going from heroes to zeroes in a matter of 10 minutes.

What was with the limp games against Norwich and Leeds? Or that howler v Bristol the other week? 

Something wasn't right. We weren't seeing that fast attacking football we loved to watch in 2013/14. I didn't see us attempt to play that style.

I am not impressed with the pass it sideways lump it forward style we had turned into playing. 

I believe he got the best out of Ince but not the rest. To get out of this league you need all 11 players firing on all cylinders. Steve didn't get that out of the players.

He could have done better, but that doesn't mean we should have been in the play off positions or better.

McClaren was making the same mistakes he made two years ago. Seemed to have learnt nothing from his first spell.

We have very capable players, but McClaren repeatedly ignored weaknesses in the team and changed the team so much week in week out that there was no chance of a settled team.

Baird at RB let Ince play, so it was a problem solved. Why then start Christie, who quite frankly isn't a footballer, and develop a new problem?.

Butterfield and Hughes should never ever be in the same team together.

And when Bent is flicking Olson's throw in's on and McClaren isn't down there asking why, tells me he spent more time sipping coffee in his bird nest than he did watching the game.

He messed with things that weren't broken, but failed to address anything that didn't work.

I thought he'd return a better manager and I'm disappointed in him.

Oh and his complete disrespect of the FA Cup was a massive nail in his coffin. It was an opportunity to build momentum going into easier games and to please the fans.

What he did was let down his players (who'd have been itching to play) and the paying fans.

He could have done better, but he did need to see what some  had to offer, which wasn't much was it? 

I couldn't see the point of playing the likes of de sart and bent when we were toast we may as well had put the kids in and provoke some interest 

Schteve came into the club like a lamb, apologising for his previous errors, saying that the club were right to sack him, etc etc.

he should have come in brian clough-style and said,

"well you've made a right balls up of this since i left. The no9 is playing for fulham. We've got no-one to lead the attack, no-one to hold the ball up and there's no holding midfielder, yet you say you want me to play 433.You've wasted 25 million quid on crap signings. And now you want me to come back in and sort it out for you -whilst playing champagne football. Let me tell you straight off, you can forget promotion; you can forget the play offs. you'll be lucky to finish mid-table. Any questions? No ? Good. Now get out of my fkn sight".

good old brian.

The only thing that pee'd me off was the FA cup replay which we might as well have forfeited pre-match. 

We've been cack in the last 8 weeks or so but it's not something new with this group of players, every man in charge we've seen similar runs. I'd have liked to have given him the summer and a good chunk of next year, a 25 odd game stint half way through a season he didn't start isn't a good enough crack at it IMO. 

People claiming he tried to change the way we played, I don't think he did. Every post match interview he has done in the last few months had the same theme "We didn't move the ball quick enough, no tempo, no intensity". I don't believe for one second he told them all to piss about with the ball for 5 minutes before releasing it like they were. I don't believe he told them to not hassle and press opposition players.

Maybe he could have got more out of them but at the same time I haven't seen many players applying themselves like I know they can. 

Its been mentioned before  but the game against Leicester was the end for my support for McClaren.They were there for the taking,give a great memory to the supporters,inject some sorely needed confidence in the squad and give everyone a badly needed boost.So he puts out a second team of players who have never played with each other on the ludicrus reason of resting the lads for the playoff run which never happened.Its like there are just too many games for our poor overworked team to handle ffs.

The man may be a good coach but he cannot manage as he has no character to inspire or discipline,Glad hes gone for good this time.

6 minutes ago, CROSSWORD said:

...on the ludicrus reason of resting the lads for the playoff run which never happened...

Yeah why was that, three relatively 'easy' home games and the players would have put us right in the promotion mix.

Several strange decisions in recent weeks. Looked like a man that didn't know what to do. The team selection against Brighton was Suicide. The substitutions against PNE were suicide. Dropping Baird from RB and bringing Christie back in, making us weaker defensively, and limiting Ince (who at the time was on fire), was suicide. 

I don't agree with it, but these will have almost certainly have played a part in his sacking.

Playing hoofball, the sideways negative passing in midfield, the lack of ST renewals, side being booed off weekly. Not a pretty picture. 

Archived