Could he have done any better?

sage

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Schteve came into the club like a lamb, apologising for his previous errors, saying that the club were right to sack him, etc etc.

he should have come in brian clough-style and said,

"well you've made a right balls up of this since i left. The no9 is playing for fulham. We've got no-one to lead the attack, no-one to hold the ball up and there's no holding midfielder, yet you say you want me to play 433.You've wasted 25 million quid on crap signings. And now you want me to come back in and sort it out for you -whilst playing champagne football. Let me tell you straight off, you can forget promotion; you can forget the play offs. you'll be lucky to finish mid-table. Any questions? No ? Good. Now get out of my fkn sight".

good old brian.

This is one of the best posts I have seen on here. Superb bit of prose from the lad Ramnut.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Schteve came into the club like a lamb, apologising for his previous errors, saying that the club were right to sack him, etc etc.

he should have come in brian clough-style and said,

"well you've made a right balls up of this since i left. The no9 is playing for fulham. We've got no-one to lead the attack, no-one to hold the ball up and there's no holding midfielder, yet you say you want me to play 433.You've wasted 25 million quid on crap signings. And now you want me to come back in and sort it out for you -whilst playing champagne football. Let me tell you straight off, you can forget promotion; you can forget the play offs. you'll be lucky to finish mid-table. Any questions? No ? Good. Now get out of my fkn sight".

good old brian.

One of the best posts I've seen on here in some time. Bravo, sir 

33 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Started against Burton. I remember that. We didn't score a goal for 3 games and ince disappeared.

Hadn't we already blown it against Bristol and Cardiff and no worse really against Burton. Seems you're looking in the wrong place.

11 hours ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

When you get there, with the £ spent, you're expected to stay there.

I personally think that the sacking and timing of the John Percy article on Saturday suggests a bit of opportunism by Mel, after the Norwich approach for Rowett. 

I am sure I am not alone in agreeing with this.

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Hadn't we already blown it against Bristol and Cardiff and no worse really against Burton. Seems you're looking in the wrong place.

Maybe. But I see I direct correlation between Christies return and Ince dropping off. 

Baird gives Ince so much more freedom, and puts balls in the box from deep. That means players and defenders are facing their own goal with the ball falling inbetween. So much more dangerous than Christie hitting the byline and cutting a ball back into a packed box with every one already in position. 

Mel will say that money was there to strengthen.

MCClaren and the recently re-appointed Evans didnt really sign anyone of note in January.

So our capitulation since January can largely be blaimed on maccas inability to bring anyone in.

Im sure he thought he was safe at least until the summer when he would no doubt have made changes, but im sure looking back he was a little complaceant, having no way forseen how bad we would look in the last 8 games or so.

8 hours ago, TroyDyer said:

Maybe. But I see I direct correlation between Christies return and Ince dropping off. 

Baird gives Ince so much more freedom, and puts balls in the box from deep. That means players and defenders are facing their own goal with the ball falling inbetween. So much more dangerous than Christie hitting the byline and cutting a ball back into a packed box with every one already in position. 

Whilst I agree with you, and to me Baird is a better option. Lets not forget the last 3 matches or so, Keogh and shackell have been out. So bringing back christie and allowing baird to play centre back is the only alternative option.

Whats more concerning is at Brighton whilst we missed Bradley johnson and keogh and basically only had 1 physical player out of 11 on the field, the way the rest of the team, at kick off, and after the substitutions showed no willingness to stand up to the physical challenge. Totally got bullied. it partly comes down to bad luck, but should have been addressed in january. De Saat got found out at brighton just as Mascerell did when he was here. both players have or will go on to better leagues, the thing is the championship isnt really like any other league in europe. The sooner Rowett addresses this, the better.

43 minutes ago, GerryDaly said:

Stevie Mac had his chance. .... 

I'm aghast at the amount of support he's received  on this site ... 

Give it a rest. You might ignore what he's done for Derby but not every Derby fan does. Thanks Mac!

He's not a manager 

when you hear players talk about him they all say the same thing 'he's a fantastic coach' never hear them say he's a good manager

i just dont think he has that extra something in him. Not saying he did a bad job just didnt really trust him to build a side  

3 hours ago, G-Ram said:

He's not a manager 

when you hear players talk about him they all say the same thing 'he's a fantastic coach' never hear them say he's a good manager

i just dont think he has that extra something in him. Not saying he did a bad job just didnt really trust him to build a side  

Spot on

Sith Happens
4 hours ago, G-Ram said:

He's not a manager 

It may by true, I supported Mac and didn't want him to go but I do recall when he was with the England setup I worked with a guy who was very good friends with Andy Johnson. He said then that he was an excellent coach or number 2 but not a great manager.

On 13/03/2017 at 22:45, Parsnip said:

He needed a boost in January. We should've strengthened. 

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but in January, we were just coming off a long run of wins.  There were people on here actively saying not to change things, because it would disrupt us (in the same way the Billy Davies January signings did).  And with Martin, Thorne and Forsyth probably coming back next season as well, it makes it harder to sign players for those positions, knowing we've got top-tier championship players waiting in the wings.

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

Hindsight's a wonderful thing, but in January, we were just coming off a long run of wins.  There were people on here actively saying not to change things, because it would disrupt us (in the same way the Billy Davies January signings did).  And with Martin, Thorne and Forsyth probably coming back next season as well, it makes it harder to sign players for those positions, knowing we've got top-tier championship players waiting in the wings.

Exactly.  And it's no use saying we have a bloated squad and yet keep signing more players.

Personally, I think too many eggs were put in the Chris Martin basket in January and when he wasn't returned to us it felt like another loss and McClaren  struggled to find an alternative temporary solution.

I feel at least some of the under par players like Bryson and Russell will have been affected by this too.

We all thought Slovanovic was a little bit barmy in not sending Martin back but he's basically wiped out one of his rivals for a small investment.

I love Martin but am almost relieved that the new manager will have no fixation on any of the squad and will judge them all with fresh eyes. 

Archived