POLL: Mel Morris. Your opinion

Mostyn6

How do you feel about Mel given his latest decision?  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 hours ago, whaley bridge Ram said:

It's nothing to do with these wana be players we have then 

total shambles . 

Agree, it appears that Mel has sacked another manager but..... the players attitude, application and overall lack of professionalism has done for another Derby County manager. 

There is an absolute "rotten to the core" element about this bunch of players and we need to cut it out of our club ASAP. 

When all is said and done the players are the ones out there unable to breakdown teams like Burton, Wigan and unable to beat teams that are there for the taking. 

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Paul Clement was an excellent replacement - I was very excited by his appointment and regardless of the style of football being played, we were doing well. Mel wanted Clement to be our Fergie. He absolutely would've stuck with him but again, he was let down. Clement wasn't able to behave himself professionally behind the scenes and Mel had no option here. Mel's fault? No.

That's supposition. The official line, from the chairman is that Clement was sacked for footballing reasons. The club will regret getting rid of PC, who no doubt (with the boards backing)would have probably achieved promotion and PL stability, within 2 or 3 seasons. 

11 hours ago, McLovin said:

He can go. We've been on a downward spiral since he came in and became the face of this club 

You must have some strange shaped spirals where you live.

The three seasons since he bought the club:

2015 - finished 8th

2016 - 6th

2017 - anywhere between 8th and 14th

The three seasons before he bought the club:

2012: 12th

2013: 10th

2014: 3rd

The turnover of managers has of course increased significantly (which I don't necessarily agree with) but were there any signs of us going anywhere under Clough? 

1 minute ago, Tamworthram said:

You must have some strange shaped spirals where you live.

The three seasons since he bought the club:

2015 - finished 8th

2016 - 6th

2017 - anywhere between 8th and 14th

The three seasons before he bought the club:

2012: 12th

2013: 10th

2014: 3rd

The turnover of managers has of course increased significantly (which I don't necessarily agree with) but were there any signs of us going anywhere under Clough? 

So are you saying that the season before he bought the club we finished third and have not matched that since ? Sounds like no progress to me !

I wonder if chris evans still thinks Mel is a "very impressive man " lick lick.

now that he's in, out, in, out, and shaking it all about.

8 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

So are you saying that the season before he bought the club we finished third and have not matched that since ? Sounds like no progress to me !

But you're taking one season in isolation and I'm not saying we've progressed. I'm just saying it's hardly a downward spiral. Do you consider 12th, 10th, 3rd, 8th, 6th, ? to be a spiral. 

27 minutes ago, jimbo jones said:

None of those 3 for me, his tenure has been far from perfect, but it could be a lot worse, anyone who thinks otherwise either has a short memory or hasn't been following Derby for long.

However, a bit like Cloughs name gave him leeway with the fans, Mel being a true fan will give him leeway where atm it looks like none has been earned bar him unwisely splashing cash.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

However, a bit like Cloughs name gave him leeway with the fans, Mel being a true fan will give him leeway where atm it looks like none has been earned bar him unwisely splashing cash.

Fair point. He should take critism if he gets things wrong, but some of the personal attacks he's getting are way ott for my liking.

Could anybody name me a single footballing decision that Mel's got right so far? I mean it, I'm genuinely struggling?

The pitch has looked in a good state this year, I'll give him that. Oh and the new floodlights are definitely working, i can absolutely see what's going on during a night match. Not that i couldn't before, mind. 

In all seriousness though, I genuinely can't think of decisions that he's been proven right on. There's plenty of one's he's got terribly wrong though, namely letting Martin go to a promotion rival before bringing back the manager who saw Martin as pivotal to the cohesion of the side he wanted to play.

I don't agree with the wording of the last option but his decision making has been inept, at best. 

3 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

Could anybody name me a single footballing decision that Mel's got right so far? I mean it, I'm genuinely struggling?

The pitch has looked in a good state this year, I'll give him that. Oh and the new floodlights are definitely working, i can absolutely see what's going on during a night match. Not that i couldn't before, mind. 

In all seriousness though, I genuinely can't think of decisions that he's been proven right on. There's plenty of one's he's got terribly wrong though, namely letting Martin go to a promotion rival before bringing back the manager who saw Martin as pivotal to the cohesion of the side he wanted to play.

I don't agree with the wording of the last option but his decision making has been inept, at best. 

He was delivering what his manager, and probably player, wanted. You're going to say that's a bad thing? It would have been worse to have Martin forced on Pearson, and have two unhappy people.

Pearson is to blame for Martin going. I'm thankful he wasn't gone permanently - but he might well be if the next manager doesn't want him either

4 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

He was delivering what his manager, and probably player, wanted. You're going to say that's a bad thing? It would have been worse to have Martin forced on Pearson, and have two unhappy people.

Pearson is to blame for Martin going. I'm thankful he wasn't gone permanently - but he might well be if the next manager doesn't want him either

Having no recall option on the loan and giving away all the power to Fulham was a horrendous decision, I'm sorry. The loan move was right at the time, i agree with that, but my word did we sign up to a horrific deal. 

6 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

You don't think that huge investment in the academy and trying to have the club focus on producing players from that academy if a football decision? He is, clearly, trying to take the club in the right direction and to recruit a manager that not only claims to share that vision but demonstrates that he shares that vision. The fact that 3 managers have failed to do that is a failure on there and Mel Morris's part, I am certain he would hold his hands up to that. As I've said previously though when you are in a leadership position, you have to take decisions. His decision here, at this moment in time was to either a) Stick with Schteve or b) Sack him, it's that simple.

To support a decision to stick with McClaren surely there has to be some green shoots, some positive signs that the club is moving in the right direction, either that or for McClaren to layout a convincing strategy around how things are going to change. To be perfectly frank, in recent times McClaren has struggled to sound the remotest bit convincing in public, why would it be different behind the scenes.

Morris has made some bad recruitment decisions, implicitly admitting that they were mistakes is not a bad thing.

12 hours ago, Andicis said:

Bottom one covers my opinion fully. From the plucky club playing good football who the majority of the neutrals wanted promoted in 2013/2014 to this mess of a state.

That's actually a really good point. I remember being on the coach to Wembley and a journalist (forget who) tweeted saying this was a game between everything that is wrong with modern football, and everything that is right with the beautiful game. 

How far we have fallen. We are now one of the more hated sides. 

6 minutes ago, mike93rh said:

Having no recall option on the loan and giving away all the power to Fulham was a horrendous decision, I'm sorry. The loan move was right at the time, i agree with that, but my word did we sign up to a horrific deal. 

Sadly, that's what happens when its left to 2 minutes before the window shutting.

Given the choice between an unhappy player and manager or some millions in the bank and a happier player and manager, I know which I'd choose..

2 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

You don't think that huge investment in the academy and trying to have the club focus on producing players from that academy if a football decision? He is, clearly, trying to take the club in the right direction and to recruit a manager that not only claims to share that vision but demonstrates that he shares that vision. The fact that 3 managers have failed to do that is a failure on there and Mel Morris's part, I am certain he would hold his hands up to that. As I've said previously though when you are in a leadership position, you have to take decisions. His decision here, at this moment in time was to either a) Stick with Schteve or b) Sack him, it's that simple.

To support a decision to stick with McClaren surely there has to be some green shoots, some positive signs that the club is moving in the right direction, either that or for McClaren to layout a convincing strategy around how things are going to change. To be perfectly frank, in recent times McClaren has struggled to sound the remotest bit convincing in public, why would it be different behind the scenes.

Morris has made some bad recruitment decisions, implicitly admitting that they were mistakes is not a bad thing.

Again, just because he's pumped money into something doesn't immediately vindicate his decision to do so. How many academy products have played in the last few years? How many genuinely exciting prospects are there right now? Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware it'll take time for things to start bearing fruit but all too often we see Mel being supported/defended on his decisions purely on the back of the level of investment. He could spend £100 million on our academy, and if in 20 years' time it hasn't ended up producing a single player of any worth would you still call it a good footballing decision? Of course you wouldn't, at least i hope you wouldn't. 

Of course he has to take decisions, and the entire point of my post is that it's his decisions being made and they've all been bloody terrible so far. We've never had a manager forced on us, he's the one hiring and then firing them all. If we continue to support him because of his money in the face of all the available evidence that he doesn't have a clue about football, we're only going one way as a club. 

59 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Manager: I want to buy ABC and XYZ

Mel: OK, here's the cash if you think they are the right men for the job

ABC: I can't be arsed with this

XYZ: Run, fall over, miss target

Mel: Not working. Pack your bags, manager. Hello, new guy.

New guy: I want to buy PQR

Mel: OK, here's the cash etc

Rinse and repeat.

Why is that scenario Mel's fault for unwisely splashing cash??

Archived