POLL: Mel Morris. Your opinion

Mostyn6

How do you feel about Mel given his latest decision?  

289 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, eddie said:

Manager: I want to buy ABC and XYZ

Mel: OK, here's the cash if you think they are the right men for the job

ABC: I can't be arsed with this

XYZ: Run, fall over, miss target

Mel: Not working. Pack your bags, manager. Hello, new guy.

New guy: I want to buy PQR

Mel: OK, here's the cash etc

Rinse and repeat.

Why is that scenario Mel's fault for unwisely splashing cash??

Because he also appointed the recruitment team. He also set the managers budget. He wants youngsters coming through - where are they. He appointed his Academy mate in charge.

2 hours ago, mike93rh said:

Again, just because he's pumped money into something doesn't immediately vindicate his decision to do so. How many academy products have played in the last few years? How many genuinely exciting prospects are there right now? Don't get me wrong, I'm fully aware it'll take time for things to start bearing fruit but all too often we see Mel being supported/defended on his decisions purely on the back of the level of investment. He could spend £100 million on our academy, and if in 20 years' time it hasn't ended up producing a single player of any worth would you still call it a good footballing decision? Of course you wouldn't, at least i hope you wouldn't. 

Of course he has to take decisions, and the entire point of my post is that it's his decisions being made and they've all been bloody terrible so far. We've never had a manager forced on us, he's the one hiring and then firing them all. If we continue to support him because of his money in the face of all the available evidence that he doesn't have a clue about football, we're only going one way as a club. 

Your point was that Mel has not made any good decisions, I don't think there can be too much debate that investing in the facilities, making them the best they can be, is a GOOD decision. I would still call it a good decision if it didn't produce a single player, that would be down to poor execution.

Obviously not all of his decisions have been 'bloody terrible', in fact the only two that I think could categorically go in to that bracket are the appointments of Pearson and McClaren, in hindsight. You're being a drama queen, I sometimes wonder if people remember Maxwell, Keith, Sleighthome et al. They brought the club to it's knees, Morris is just causing internet based embarrassment to some.

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Because he also appointed the recruitment team. He also set the managers budget. He wants youngsters coming through - where are they. He appointed his Academy mate in charge.

Out on loan because quite simply they are not good enough yet.

23 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

It seems that you want to lay the blame everything at Mel Morris's door, yet if and when the next appoontment doesn't deliver, you will be calling for that manager's head and continuing to lay the blame full square on the chairman. I daresay if the next appointment leads Derby to promotion, then according to you (as outlined in your "Mel's not finished yet" post) it will be despite Mel. The bloke will never be able to get you onside.

Entitled, or what?

9 minutes ago, eddie said:

It seems that you want to lay the blame everything at Mel Morris's door, yet if and when the next appoontment doesn't deliver, you will be calling for that manager's head and continuing to lay the blame full square on the chairman. I daresay if the next appointment leads Derby to promotion, then according to you (as outlined in your "Mel's not finished yet" post) it will be despite Mel. The bloke will never be able to get you onside.

Entitled, or what?

We all know ROYMAC5 has a room at home dedicated to Steve Mc, Along the lines of Alan Partridges biggest fan. Can one of the Mods do something with this link ? Cheers

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiCweWvxdPSAhXFPRQKHQPGAMcQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fpartridge.cloud%2Fscene%2F%3Fid%3Dh3zf8HzrKYDp&psig=AFQjCNEizQnMw8zjkwUzzfttebprB-DMXg&ust=1489496555711635

20 minutes ago, eddie said:

Entitled, or what?

Mel has shown himself to be in charge of the whole of the club, he hires and fires, he decides who's cutting the mustard and how his money is spent. As for calling for the managers head, so what I don't hold the gun. If they stayed around long enough to be judged properly then maybe Mel could take the plaudits.

41 minutes ago, ShoreRam said:

Your point was that Mel has not made any good decisions, I don't think there can be too much debate that investing in the facilities, making them the best they can be, is a GOOD decision. I would still call it a good decision if it didn't produce a single player, that would be down to poor execution.

Obviously not all of his decisions have been 'bloody terrible', in fact the only two that I think could categorically go in to that bracket are the appointments of Pearson and McClaren, in hindsight. You're being a drama queen, I sometimes wonder if people remember Maxwell, Keith, Sleighthome et al. They brought the club to it's knees, Morris is just causing internet based embarrassment to some.

I gave a scenario where a £100million investment returned absolutely nothing, if you feel that would still be good business then I'm bloody glad you're nowhere near the boardroom.

For what it's worth, yeah the actual academy upgrades are very welcome, and i did overlook that.

But if you can't see that we've already been lumbered with a huge, massively overpaid squad, populated by players that are going to be hugely difficult to shift in the summer, then there's no hope left for you. We're back at square one before Cloughie arrived and it's the owner who takes the responsibility, he's making the decisions. 

20 minutes ago, hintonsboots said:

We all know ROYMAC5 has a room at home dedicated to Steve Mc.

Yeah, I like the way he plays the game and how successful he is. I like that he's ex-Derby. I like the fact he was appointed Derby manager again. I don't think 5 months was long enough. I don't like the players getting off lightly again.

4 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Yeah, I like the way he plays the game and how successful he is. I like that he's ex-Derby. I like the fact he was appointed Derby manager again. I don't think 5 months was long enough. I don't like the players getting off lightly again.

I also am a SM fan despite my tongue in cheek post but I am really unhappy with the recent performance level and think Rowett will be a breath of fresh air. Think he can be a similar appointment to Eddie Howe at Bournemouth.

1 minute ago, hintonsboots said:

...think Rowett will be a breath of fresh air. Think he can be a similar appointment to Eddie Howe at Bournemouth.

I don't know how he'll do. But he's sort of being set up to be a cuddly Pearson? My money is if he does well he'll be gone and if he does poorly he'll be gone. :D

For all his faults, Mel Morris currently represents the best chance we have of becoming an established PL team, financial sustainability and security and some measure of success on the pitch.  I desperately want him to get it right, but at the moment he seems to have the kind of traits in a fan that I really can't stand (short termism, over-reactionary, so-called passion over so-called common sense, not looking at the bigger picture, being swayed by the vocal minority). If he was on here, I suspect I would be arguing with him a lot on things.

Obviously, we don't know what goes on in the background, but some of these decisions don't seem logical to me. Sad thing is, there are a fair few they do seem logical to, and I can't see eye to eye with these people, so it follows I wouldn't  see eye to eye with Mel.  I still wouldn't want him, or his resources, to leave the club however.... 

Archived