Is Nugent similar to Martin?

ColonelBlimp

I thought we bought Nugent because we couldn't get Chrissy back from Fulham.

In my head he is the same type of player, good hold up play, good feet, can bring players into the game but I suspect he maybe isn't or he would be starting and performing the same role.

I guess I don't know enough about his style. Does anyone?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Truth is, there's not many players out there like Martin, and the ones that are go for a hefty price (Wood, Ulloa etc). Nugent was probably brought in because he can do a better job of those roles than Bent & Vydra, rather than being a like-for-like stand in for Martin. 

Nugent has more pace than Martin, He can finish and is capable of scoring all types of goals. Nugent CAN hold the ball up, but is more likely to be the player in the box receiving the ball.

Nugent and Martin would probably play very well together as they are both intelligent players.

We will be spoilt for choice up front next season.

32 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Nugent has more pace than Martin, He can finish and is capable of scoring all types of goals. Nugent CAN hold the ball up, but is more likely to be the player in the box receiving the ball.

Nugent and Martin would probably play very well together as they are both intelligent players.

We will be spoilt for choice up front next season.

Oooh,I like that idea....sounds pretty lethal.

How would you set up the team to fit it?

Nugent is the stop gap this season and our backup for next. 

He is the jutkiewicz to our 17/18 season so we don't have that debacle of the 14/15 season where we had a system built around Martin go off the rails because of his injury.

Steve is learning from his mistakes. By luck more than judgement i don't know. 

PistoldPete2
7 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

I thought we bought Nugent because we couldn't get Chrissy back from Fulham.

In my head he is the same type of player, good hold up play, good feet, can bring players into the game but I suspect he maybe isn't or he would be starting and performing the same role.

I guess I don't know enough about his style. Does anyone?

Similar but I think nugent works harder than martin. Unfortunately nugent hasn't scored a goal yet.

5 hours ago, uttoxram75 said:

If Nugent can score 20 goals a season and assist others to score while keeping possession and winning free kicks on the edge of the box, then yes, he could be similar to Martin.

Too early to tell yet.

looking at nugent i dont think he is the player he was, in todays game i think you need fast pacey forwards who can run at defenses,so cant see us cutting it with martin or nugent who are both terrific finishers but i think the modern game has passed them both by

I'm not a massive bent fan. Yes he's scored some goals, but he's always getting himself offside, not great defensively (not that he should really be back defending) and never seems to win a 50 / 50 header. Others may disagree, but that's my opinion. 

Anyway. That got me thinking from next season. Think of the possibility of 4 forwards tussling for two positions (in a 4 4 2) of Martin, weimann, nugent and vydra :-) 

Archived