ColonelBlimp

6 hours ago, rynny said:

Harsh on Nugent, he hasn't had anything to smile about yet

Chris%20Martin%20celebrates%20after%20ma

7c14bda3ab8c4022e8b4d8155bcbcb72.jpg

:ph34r:

Now he has.:D

3 hours ago, toddy said:

This season unfortunately both look past it..........

Nice to see you say that just before they both score :lol:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nugent today did what I hated about him in previous encounters when he played against us. He made himself into a total pain in the butt for defenders. He isn't just about goals. He cleverly closes down space leaving defenders knowing he will be on them and through this we got the ball back at least 6-7 times today from bad or rushed clearances. A shrewd signing. Very happy to have him as a Ram. 

21 minutes ago, StockholmRam said:

Nugent today did what I hated about him in previous encounters when he played against us. He made himself into a total pain in the butt for defenders. He isn't just about goals. He cleverly closes down space leaving defenders knowing he will be on them and through this we got the ball back at least 6-7 times today from bad or rushed clearances. A shrewd signing. Very happy to have him as a Ram. 

He also cleverly draws a foul like any good forward. To me he also involves his strike partner more than Bent, that's not knocking Bent I like him, just seems to link play more natural.

Tuesday's line up going to be interesting now, the front 4 started to gel more 2nd half and created chances, so be nice to start with them again.

Good to see us back on the winning trail today, and building on the positive football last 20 at Blackburn.

I had my doubts for the first 30 minutes as we couldn't seem to get the ball off Barnsley and their high pressing game made us look nervous.

We worked our way into it and it was looking an even - but open - game by half time.

We realised Butterfield was coming on from his half time warm up. De Sart took a heavy knock and had struggled when surrounded by four Barnsley players who were stopping hin from making long passes. 

I think some on here have been a bit harsh on Butters today as it was him made the differencefor me. Always available for the ball and played some great cross field passes. He seemed to have more space to operate in this system and playing deep allowed Bradley to press on when the opportunity arose.

However the stars of the show for me today were the front line and credit to Russell, Vydra, Ince and especially Nugent for their chasing, quick passing and spirit. The latter two scored but it could have been any of them. Russell the brightest I have seen from him for some time and a more confident Vydra would have scored his free header - it will come if he gets a run in the side.

Just to say that Nugent put in a real shift at Blackburn for the full 90 on Tuesday night so there's no wonder he looked a bit ragged by the end.

Our makeshift defence played it's part, shame about conceding the soft goal but that again is a confidence issue. I hope this win will settle us down a bit and we push on from here. Anything we do this season now is a bonus but I would like to see us playing good football and entertaining us fans like today!

Just now, Zag zig said:

He also cleverly draws a foul like any good forward. To me he also involves his strike partner more than Bent, that's not knocking Bent I like him, just seems to link play more natural.

Tuesday's line up going to be interesting now, the front 4 started to gel more 2nd half and created chances, so be nice to start with them again.

Yes, Nugent said on Radio Derby that Bent should have started instead of Russell but was ill. Wonder if we'd have looked as fluid if he had? 

1 minute ago, angieram said:

Yes, Nugent said on Radio Derby that Bent should have started instead of Russell but was ill. Wonder if we'd have looked as fluid if he had? 

Didn't hear that, was he ill then I take it?

Youre right though, once we became more direct, the front four caused problems. Tippy tippy sideways first half too much, don't know if it was Butterfield for De Sart but our mindset changed and creativity slowly with it.

Thought we were good for the win, albeit riding our luck with the first half a little. 2nd half deserved winners but I'm easily pleased when we're in front.

6 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Didn't hear that, was he ill then I take it?

Youre right though, once we became more direct, the front four caused problems. Tippy tippy sideways first half too much, don't know if it was Butterfield for De Sart but our mindset changed and creativity slowly with it.

Thought we were good for the win, albeit riding our luck with the first half a little. 2nd half deserved winners but I'm easily pleased when we're in front.

Yes ill this morning. 

PistoldPete2
1 hour ago, angieram said:

Yes ill this morning. 

I don't think having bent nugent ince and vydra would have worked ... Johnny did well second half and provides a better balance I think. Still I hope bent is fit for Tuesday as nugent looked knackered at the end.

1 minute ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I don't think having bent nugent ince and vydra would have worked ... Johnny did well second half and provides a better balance I think. Still I hope bent is fit for Tuesday as nugent looked knackered at the end.

Yeah, I was wondering how that would have worked. It's not like Bent and Russell are like for like swaps. Certainly would have been a very attacking formation but would have more than likely left us very exposed defensively. 

4 minutes ago, Steve How Hard? said:

Yeah, I was wondering how that would have worked. It's not like Bent and Russell are like for like swaps. Certainly would have been a very attacking formation but would have more than likely left us very exposed defensively. 

It would have seemed very unbalanced but then again maybe he would have had Ince and Vydra on the flanks rather than Ince at "No10" .... ( and I don't mean Theresa May's house but if he keeps scoring then who knows ?)

7 minutes ago, jono said:

It would have seemed very unbalanced but then again maybe he would have had Ince and Vydra on the flanks rather than Ince at "No10" .... ( and I don't mean Theresa May's house but if he keeps scoring then who knows ?)

It would have been bent up top, nugent in the hole, and Ince and Vydra either side.

2 minutes ago, jono said:

Yeah, definitely good to have these different variations. Gotta admit I did fear for us setting up so offensively from the off. A more offensively astute opposition may have taken advantage of this. Having said that, it was a case of now or never for experimenting. Hats off to Mac for being brave enough to try it. It could have back fired on both him and the teams confidence. Let's just hope we can build on todays result.

On 04/03/2017 at 09:23, Paul71 said:

Nor is Chris Martin.

To be fair he looks slimmer, fitter, and more mobile at Fulham this season.

But last season at Derby he was less mobile than ever and looked heavier than ever and in the second half of Clements tenure when Clement wanted a more mobile Martin, Martin couldnt hack it and thats when he has his massive dry spell of not scoring for umpteen games.

Archived